BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

extended maint. warranty cost for 2007 M6 coupe

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  jdiehl 
#1 ·
Hello,

I own a 2007 M6 Coupe that I purchased in July '09 as a CPO vehicle (had 6000 miles at the time).

It was put into service on 3/31/07 and the 4yr factory maintenance plan is about to run out.

I currently have 29,500 miles on my car (daily driver) and I do not have plans to sell it at this time. I'm considering purchasing an extended maintenance plan that will extend it to 3/31/13 (the same time my CPO warranty will expire).

Can anyone give me an idea of what this will cost, and if this is available for purchase from someone outside of my local area (if the prices are better than my local dealership), perhaps from a forum sponsor?

I'm assuming this would be a good idea for me to purchase, considering the costs of maintenance that I might see in the next 27 months or 35k of miles (I avg about 1300 miles per month).

Currently, the car is showing that I'll need:
Front Brakes - 36,000 miles
Rear Brakes - 26,000 miles
Brake Fluid - Sept 2012
Spark Plugs - 8,000 miles
Oil Change - 4,600 miles
Microfilter - 4,100 miles

My maintenance plan will probably expire before the oil change is needed, so the next time I take it in (without purchasing an extension), I'll have to start paying out of pocket.

I'm assuming that the cost of the rear brake job (and front brakes if I can squeeze them in in 27 months) would cover the cost of the extension?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
i would do it... I purchased my CPO 07 M6 and the warranty did expire. Luckily I did because soon after the oil cooler started leaking...goes to show.. anything can happen at anytime. BTW... the extended maintenance warranty cost around $4K (I think)... keep in mind the the entire brake job alone cost 3K! I really believe in warrranty so imo... do it.

#6 · (Edited)
Maintenance Warranty may not be worth it...

The oil cooler wouldn't be covered under the maintenance warranty. Perhaps you meant the regular warranty?

I think your stealership is quoting you a bit high on the brake job.. Here in Portland, Oregon, you can get front and back done including new rotors for under $2,000.

Regarding the maintenance warranty, it's my opinion that it's really only good for those that drive their M6s a lot.. Due to Oregon's weather and my line of business, I don't get to use it daily so I opted for going without it. If it were 36 months instead of 24, I may have considered it a little harder.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as the dealer has given me a few weeks to decide... My 2007 M6's in-service date is November 26, 2006, so the 24 months would still commence from that date (giving me about 22.5 months of maintenance warranty.)

-b.

#3 ·
My one is 07 and my factory warranty gone today... I purchased the new one in dealer yesterday. I paid for USD3339. It is 36 months or 60k miles. They also have the different kind of warranty. Like 24 months or more. They told me that every dealer are different price. I am so sorry for my bad english. I am chinese. I hope u can understand.

#7 ·
Hi there XLouisX, could you let me know where you got your extended warranty from? I live in Colorado but am guessing it won't matter ifni end up buying that extended warranty from a California dealer. I haven't checked around here yet... Just in case they quote me higher. Thanks,

#13 ·
Need help with Extended Warranty for 2007 M6 Coupe

Louis,

I was quoted $5300 for the BMW 7 year (36 months more coverage) 70K miles.
This is the Platinum coverage.

Do you know if you got the PowerTrain Plus, Gold or Platinum?

I was also quoted $4800 for a 9 year, 75K third party warranty that has a $250 deductible.

This was from Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose

My coverage expires the end of July.

Thanks for the help,

Paul

#9 ·
re: extended warranty

Emansm6....I just got a 2007 coupe here in colorado and it was just out of warranty. I had my broker research how much the extended warranty would be from several BMW dealers as well as from independent companies and the best price I got was 7K for two years. Considering what I paid for my car I decided not to purchase the warranty. Also Bimmerhaus also advised me that it was not worth it.

#10 ·
Emansm6....I just got a 2007 coupe here in colorado and it was just out of warranty. I had my broker research how much the extended warranty would be from several BMW dealers as well as from independent companies and the best price I got was 7K for two years. Considering what I paid for my car I decided not to purchase the warranty. Also Bimmerhaus also advised me that it was not worth it.
wow that's crazy....maybe because it's already out of warranty it cost so much?

I purchased an extended warranty through my local bmw dealer when I bought the car (still under factory warranty), was $5k and is the 6 yr/ 100k BMW Platinum warranty...no 3rd party crap

#11 ·
For member: deemoe25

I can not send PM now. Regarding the warranty, I paid USD3339 for my warranty. It is 36 months or 60k miles. It cover almost everything exclude brake pad, wiper etc. The guy who sold me the warranty told me that every bmw dealer may have the different warranty and different price. Also, they may have big different. My recommendation, you could ask for a quotation and information from the dealer around you then pick the best one. If you need more details about my warranty, I can find out and scan for you. I hope you can understand my English. I still improving my english.

#14 ·
I wonder why yours says to do spark plugs in 8k miles and you have 30k miles on your car when my car has 40k miles on it and it says to do plugs in another 37k miles.

#15 ·
Are you the original owner? I'm not sure if mine was triggered more on the miles (~38k) or years (4yrs).

As an update, I did not end up getting the extended main. warranty. Figured I wasn't going to keep the car another two years and just had the spark plugs done last week by my dealership (2hrs of labor plus parts and tax was just under $500).

#16 ·
No im the 3rd owner. Im actually getting the dealer records sent to me in the mail soon so that should tell a lot. But i wouldnt think a car needs plugs at less than 60k miles. maybe its diff for M6's though, most cars ive had plugs were done around the 60-80k mark

#18 ·
LOL same here with previous cars... I haven't owned one long enough to put plugs in them.

But yeah, the M6 isn't most cars, it's a friggin race car.

Hey, be glad it's not a Formula One car needing a new engine every other race weekend. :tonquesmilie:

#17 ·
My car needed plugs at 35,000 miles and it made a marked difference in performance and fuel economy.
Well, maybe not fuel economy.hihahiha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.