BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the guys who have supersprint mufflers - like it? wish it were louder or quieter? good quality?

anybody have the muffler combo'd with the xpipe?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
cany: 0-4

none of the links worked!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the SS Race and X Pipe, IMHO it is the best sounding exhaust for the ///M5. It is much louder than stock but not too loud, and has a beautiful deep tone complimenting V10 power, not a knock against some of the others but the SS is tops in my book. You won't be disappointed unless you want to wake the neighbours regularly.

Reactions: ThisFlyGuy

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just got the SS Race. I always wanted an exhaust that is not loud on daily cruising unless you hit the gas, and this is the perfect medium, when highway cruising, it does not intrude in the cabin, however hit the gas and :) The tips are wider than stock, which gives the beast a mean look.
It does have that muscle sound as opposed to the Einsenman which has that F1 sound. It depends what you looking for really, if you want something louder, then try E. race. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you guys post some sound clips and pics? i tried to find them on youtube, but there isn't many on the e60 m5.

also, SS is considerably quieter than the Erace, but still louder than the Esport?

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I have the full system with headers, race cats, x-pipe and the sport mufflers.

A couple of observations:
- the sound is incredible. It is like getting into a totally new car. Much better on idle and low rpm, but still not too load when going fast/high rpm. It gives a V8 type of sound that is deep and strong.
- great looks/high quality components - much nicer looking compared to many after market systems that looks like someone welded it together in a shop, headers out of cast iron (like some are selling) or cheaply manufactured i Korea :)
- performance - see enclosed dyno chart - you really feel the difference and is probably one of the best "real" tuning you can do on the car without touching the engine.

Thomas

To the guys who have supersprint mufflers - like it? wish it were louder or quieter? good quality?

anybody have the muffler combo'd with the xpipe?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I'll take some pics tomorrow, my camcorder went loco, but i'll try to get a video for you soon, until then take a look at the following, I would say the videos are pretty accurate, however my exhaust does sound louder!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5875241596886111659&q=supersprint+race+exhaust&total=117&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2632281289300552069
Here's the related thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80291&highlight=supersprint+race+mufflers

From first hand knowledge, Supersprint Race Mufflers and X Pipe is:

1. Louder than stock at initial startup but settles to slightly louder than stock at idle. However, you will notice the difference from stock. But never intrusive in the cabin while driving.

2. Slightly louder than stock during moderate acceleration.

3. Much louder than stock at WOT.

4. With X Pipe, only slightly louder than w/o X Pipe.

Also, and you're going to love this, when the SS exhaust gets hot, the SS exhaust will "grow" an inch or so.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had the SS race and x-pipe and switched. I would agree with all that has been said above.
I switched mainly for personal personal of sound. For me, I did not like the deeper sound SS took the car. Additionally, I did want it louder and more F1 sounding.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Another thing to consider when purchasing mufflers is if you plan on doing any other exhaust mods. If so, I would suggest to go a bit on the mild side due to the increased noise level from straight pipes, race cats, headers, etc...

Cheers ///

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
To the OP --

If you're really interested in SS mufflers, there are some for sale on Ebay right now. They're brand new for 740 because there is a "slight imperfection" on the tips that is "barely noticeable" Dont know if you're interested, but just in case...

·
Registered
915 Posts
...get a louder exhaust.. you can barely hear ss race. :nono:

·
Registered
560 Posts
The super sprint is really quiet, not really worth the money imo...

HOWEVER, in defense... I did hear a video once of a FULL ss system headers back and it had a very nice unique sound to it, I loved it but it costs a pretty penny. It had decent volume to it as well probably attributed by the headers.

I wouldn't do SS unless you did the whole SS system, then it really makes it, I don't think one part of the system alone does it any justice

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have the SS Race and X Pipe, IMHO it is the best sounding exhaust for the ///M5. It is much louder than stock but not too loud, and has a beautiful deep tone complimenting V10 power, not a knock against some of the others but the SS is tops in my book. You won't be disappointed unless you want to wake the neighbours regularly.
Nicely said Omes, i agree 100%:M5thumbs:

Reactions: omes

·
Registered
728 Posts
If your younger and really loud is your thing then ss is the wrong unit. if you want a lower deeper growl that wont get you pulled over (because of exhaust lol) every other day then get the supersprint. i have the ss and ss xpipe and i think it sounds great and very appropriate for my age and lifestyle.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If your younger and really loud is your thing then ss is the wrong unit. if you want a lower deeper growl that wont get you pulled over (because of exhaust lol) every other day then get the supersprint. i have the ss and ss xpipe and i think it sounds great and very appropriate for my age and lifestyle.
just because you have a kid doesnt mean your old. i know you wouldnt mind a louder exhaust :haha:

i better see you on sunday! :hihi:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
...get a louder exhaust.. you can barely hear ss race. :nono:
The super sprint is really quiet, not really worth the money imo...
Those who consider and/or purchase a SS Race Muffler, with or without X-Pipe, really don't want the loudness of an exhaust like Eisenmann but still want something different than stock.

SS provides a bassier tone than stock while Eisenmann provides a higher pitched tone than stock.

Bassier tone is more tolerable than a higher pitched tone for the long run. Your ears will appreciate that.

And let's not even bring up cabin resonance.

Side by side, SS and Eisenmenn are certainly quality products. So there's no difference there. And now there's Dinan, Tubi, etc.

Ultimately, its all about preference.

Some like bass, some like treble.

:M5launch:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts