BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on ordering an RPI GTS system soon and was wondering what peoples experiences have been with the header/exhaust bolts? I am trying to decide on installing myself or having a shop do the work. From my understanding all that is needed is to remove the 4 bolts holding the current exhaust to the header/cats. Rest is just hangers/brackets.

I noticed the exhaust bolts are about $5 each, to me that says they are not special bolts. On my Z3 they were $25 inconel bolts. I was surprised ours are just ordinary. But that then makes me concerned about breaking one.

My M5 is a 2008 that has been driven in winter. Thoughts on if the bolts will come off easily or possible break?

I will of course be ordering new bolts for installing the GTS system, unless it comes with new bolts.

I have done 2 exhausts in the past. My worry is that if something goes wrong I cant drive the car and with the Z3 in hibernation for winter, that leaves me in a bind.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
The odds of you breaking a bolt or finding one seized are inversely proportional to how many extras you have.

I found that on my dealer maintained M3, an SAE fastener had been used at some point on was not corrosion resistant. Better safe than cursing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i worked on a number and so far non have broken, but in quite a few cases the stud comes out when the bolt is stubborn. Since you are going to replace them it will not be an issue. If you kept all the bottom shields on, i dont think you will have a lot of salt corrosion and just go slowly with the bolts. I would soak them the night before.

·
Registered
794 Posts
On a $3k exhaust, $10 in bolts is cheap insurance. I always get new hardware when working on exhaust. They will break, and take far longer to get after the fact. Plus if I have new hardware, I just use my air tools to get the old hardware off, usually breaking the bolts in the process.

Use a bit of antisieze on the new hardware, it will help in the long run.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Don't forget to use new gaskets!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup I always get new bolts and gaskets. I will see this week how tough it would be to do in my garage this winter.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts