BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't know the right ones now. Eloy probably does, but the pricing should be in the hundreds-$ and not thousands-$ (probably not much more than $500).

Rick

·
Registered
126 Posts
In the turbocharged world of the Toyota Supra and the Nissan Skyline GTR a 16-Row Oil Cooler Kit with remote filter mounting from distinguished companies such as HKS, GReddy, and Blitz never really surpasses about a $1000.00.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Not all oil coolers are the same and comparing brands by rows, size etc. just isnt logical. The internal row's density and pressure drop are all very important. Thats why you have to be real careful about using universal coolers on cars.

The m5 coolers are a bit more complicated, especially if you want a "bolt-on" unit. The adaptor fittings, etc. all have to be machined since its not an ordinary barb type fitting. Couple that with a low production run and you have something that is easily double or tripple the cost of the coolers some of you are used to getting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, there is a difference in the quality of oil coolers (Dixis may be stainless), but there are quite a few that qualify as suitable for the highest performing race cars and they don't cost anywhere near $2,300.

Rick

·
2,432 Posts
Yes, there is a difference in the quality of oil coolers (Dixis may be stainless), but there are quite a few that qualify as suitable for the highest performing race cars and they don't cost anywhere near $2,300.

Rick
The main reason for the cost is the machining of the parts for fitment. Its pretty darn expensive to make that, especially in low quantity numbers for a market like the M5. If they were making many thousands of them, Im sure the cost would be much less. With that, we are trying to price ours far lower in cost but maintain top quality.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Anyone know the size of our stock oil cooler ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Couple that with a low production run and you have something that is easily double or tripple the cost of the coolers some of you are used to getting.

true. low production, economies of scale.

i manufacture some of my own products in my industry, and the costs are almost double others. the others do not serve the exact and specific application required.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Regarding oil cooler, I think OE STANDARD is best .

·
Registered
28 Posts
true. low production, economies of scale.

i manufacture some of my own products in my industry, and the costs are almost double others. the others do not serve the exact and specific application required.
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
2,432 Posts
Regarding oil cooler, I think OE STANDARD is best .
Wow, this thread is ancient! :) As far as the E60 M5/E63 M6 oil coolers go, the replacement oem oil coolers are still manufactured in the same way the first units were. This means that the press fit connection on the cooler below where the oil lines connect will eventually leak in the same exact spot. This, as well as the performance benefits on track, are a few reasons to upgrade from the oem unit when it comes time for replacement.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've already replaced 2 OEM units (due to immediate availability when I needed them) due to the weak OEM. Had I had the opportunity to plan it out, I would have gone RPI the first time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, this thread is ancient! :) As far as the E60 M5/E63 M6 oil coolers go, the replacement oem oil coolers are still manufactured in the same way the first units were. This means that the press fit connection on the cooler below where the oil lines connect will eventually leak in the same exact spot. This, as well as the performance benefits on track, are a few reasons to upgrade from the oem unit when it comes time for replacement.
:smile

41 - 54 of 54 Posts