BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious with all the aftermarket clutch problems I'm reading about...has anybody actually tried this kit?

http://www.cnsracing.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=1

They are a board sponsor...I have to do my clutch here in the next couple of weeks...JB, Clutchmasters, OEM, CNS??? Anyone have a drivable proven setup that works 100% like OEM, but more holding? I have searched with no conclusive choice...

I have 9 track days this summer, so I want one that will last, and be as drivable as the OEM setup...that's all...no biggie...right?

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
I am just curious with all the aftermarket clutch problems I'm reading about...has anybody actually tried this kit?

They are a board sponsor...I have to do my clutch here in the next couple of weeks...JB, Clutchmasters, OEM, CNS??? Anyone have a drivable proven setup that works 100% like OEM, but more holding? I have searched with no conclusive choice...

I have 9 track days this summer, so I want one that will last, and be as drivable as the OEM setup...that's all...no biggie...right?
Someone has one, it is in their sig. Lots of mods, including a shorter diff, I think a 3.62. RufM5 ( or similar) from Key West?? Old age memory is failing me at the moment....
Regards,
Jerr

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts

I also attend track days and use it as a daily driver. I had been through several previous oem and 3rd party clutches and needed something very strong but also having OEM drivability. I have been one of several first owners of the CNS Racing clutch and I am extremely impressed. No issues with the installation and it has all the oem quailities plus a larger/stronger pressure plate and clutch disk material. I drive extremely hard and it has been holding up nice since their clutch design is basically the DINAN S3 clutch package but stronger(no organic material glazing issues).
<o></o>
There are no idle issues, noises or anything to complain about. The kit comes complete with a lightened dualmass flywheel and includes a clutch stop. I can finally enjoy my car without clutch headaches!
<o></o>

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Ahem...

I also attend track days and use it as a daily driver. I had been through several previous oem and 3rd party clutches and needed something very strong but also having OEM drivability. I have been one of several first owners of the CNS Racing clutch and I am extremely impressed. No issues with the installation and it has all the oem quailities plus a larger/stronger pressure plate and clutch disk material. I drive extremely hard and it has been holding up nice since their clutch design is basically the DINAN S3 clutch package but stronger(no organic material glazing issues).
<O></O>
There are no idle issues, noises or anything to complain about. The kit comes complete with a lightened dualmass flywheel and includes a clutch stop. I can finally enjoy my car without clutch headaches!
<O></O>
Dinan designed/engineered this clutch/flywheel pkg (see pic's taken before they were installed in my S3) for S3 application. They outsource to Sachs (Germany) for mfgr'ing of clutch; but make the flywheel themselves, at their Morgan Hill, Calif. hdqtrs. If CNS designed their product to be like Dinan's, then it is, indeed, a good design. I've logged over 20k hard driving/track miles. No issues, at all.:)

Attachments

Reactions: Tenzin and THRILOS5

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<O></O>
<O></O>

That is a fairly stellar review for a newer product...how long has it been in your car? (how many track days, etc.) Are there any others on the board that have this setup that you know of?

I'm looking at ordering it this week...hopefully having it, and the rest of my spring mods done(pic) in the next 4 weeks or so...if the damned weather will warm up...it's April and we are just now coming out of a 2 week deepfreeze with 12" of snow thrown in for good measure...today is +9C though......:confused2

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTTT

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
That is a fairly stellar review for a newer product...how long has it been in your car? (how many track days, etc.) Are there any others on the board that have this setup that you know of?

I'm looking at ordering it this week...hopefully having it, and the rest of my spring mods done(pic) in the next 4 weeks or so...if the damned weather will warm up...it's April and we are just now coming out of a 2 week deepfreeze with 12" of snow thrown in for good measure...today is +9C though......:confused2
I try to attend as many local track and drag events as I can and have been on 3 events so far on the CNS Racing clutch. I also have a very long commute and the CNS clutch has already outlived my previous Clutchmaster one. I know another local 2001 M5 owner with the CNS clutch kit and we sometimes go together. It truly is a well designed clutch kit and recommended. http://www.pbocflorida.com/mainmenu.html http://www.drivenasafl.com/content/section/4/44/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello everyone,

We are very pleased to offer a quality Clutch product that M5 owners have been expecting for a long time. We have also updated our product selection on our website and will continue to do so.

Please be sure to visit our website and contact us if you have any questions !

Thank you,

CNS Racing
www.CNSracing.com

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
S3 Clutch

Dinan designed/engineered this clutch/flywheel pkg (see pic's taken before they were installed in my S3) for S3 application. They outsource to Sachs (Germany) for mfgr'ing of clutch; but make the flywheel themselves, at their Morgan Hill, Calif. hdqtrs. If CNS designed their product to be like Dinan's, then it is, indeed, a good design. I've logged over 20k hard driving/track miles. No issues, at all.:)
The S3 clutch is a wonderful design, but it isn't bullet-proof if you really abuse it, i.e doing hard burn outs at the drags day in, day out. Mine finally gave out on our third trip to the 1/4 mile, following our first run with drag radials and 3.45 gearing. The weak point is the organic clutch face material.

We tried a segmented kevlar clutch and LWFW as a replacement but that turned out to be a non-starter (no pun intended:hihi:). The S3 became all but undriveable* with the LWFW and I ultimately had to reinstall another Dinan S3 clutch if I wanted to be able to use my S3 as a daily driver.

*Low rpm 'surging' issues that turned into limp modeouich episodes. I could live with the transmission roll-over noise, the on/off quality of engagement and the fact that the clutch would engage at the very top of the clutch pedal travel, but not the limp mode/surging problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems to be a nice product.....Can't wait till my OEM setup gone lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Possible Group Buy?

Well...

E-mailing the guys from CNS Racing regarding a possible group buy if there was enough interest from the board members here at the M5Board.com They are open to it if we can get 5 or more participants there will be a possible $250 discount off the price ($100 Board member + $150 for Group Buy as long as we get 5 participants) Shipping would be approx. $100 to most of US and Canada.

Is anybody possibly interested?

1. RemBrant - 100% for sure

Just curious...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hello everyone,

We are very pleased to offer a quality Clutch product that M5 owners have been expecting for a long time. We have also updated our product selection on our website and will continue to do so.

Please be sure to visit our website and contact us if you have any questions !

Thank you,

CNS Racing
www.CNSracing.com

Welcome to the Board, and thanks for putting together a product we've all been looking for! My original clutch is still good, but I'll be sure to look you up as soon as I need one! :cheers:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the Board, and thanks for putting together a product we've all been looking for! My original clutch is still good, but I'll be sure to look you up as soon as I need one! :cheers:
Hello Doug and thank you.

As a reminder for all M5 Board members we are pleased to offer a $100 rebate for the CNS Racing E39 M5 Power Clutch Kit. Simply use the "M5board" coupon code on our website.

http://www.CNSracing.com

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
im really very interested in this product... i have alittle research to do... seem like a great product tho!!
I agree. It seems to combine the best of a bigger clutch and a dual mass (lightened) flywheel. There is only one board member I am aware of who has used this package and he is very pleased. If it performs as advertised, it is my next clutch.:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
how much lighter is the flywheel than stock?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm definitely interested, though my OEM clutch still has some life left in it. Oh the agony! Since I know the clutch will need attention in the near future, I'm waiting for this before I do any other mods. But now I have a chance to potentially obtain the CNS at a discount. Very tempting. Very tempting indeed.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm definitely interested, though my OEM clutch still has some life left in it. Oh the agony! Since I know the clutch will need attention in the near future, I'm waiting for this before I do any other mods. But now I have a chance to potentially obtain the CNS at a discount. Very tempting. Very tempting indeed.:1zhelp:
Group buy is on the books! We just need a few more...

E-mailing the guys from CNS Racing regarding a possible group buy if there was enough interest from the board members here at the M5Board.com They are open to it if we can get 5 or more participants there will be a possible $250 discount off the price ($100 Board member + $150 for Group Buy as long as we get 5 participants) Shipping would be approx. $100 to most of US and Canada.

1. RemBrant - 100% for sure

1 - 20 of 162 Posts