BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love mine too. Frees up power through out the band especially down low, now I can putt around the neighborhood in 2nd gear instead of first.
Installation is like any other pulley swap. I took out the radiator and fan to make it easier, plus to clean out all the trash that accumulates. Check your idler and tensioner pulleys while your in there. The stock P/S pump pulley ended up breaking on me because the hub on the pump was rusted and I had to get rough with it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
+1 on pulling the rad at some point, i did on my E39 for something or other and it looked like the bag on my yard vac had been emptied in there!

Reactions: Graffm

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installing the pulley system today in between the lovely scottish showers lol.

Doing it the top method and its surprisingly straightforward. However I do have one question. How did you guys stop the power steering pulley rotating while removing the bolts? This is my only stumbling block so far.

Ta

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does anyone have the belt dimention for the power steering side?

Macht Schnell have sent me 2 1415mm ( 6pk 1400) belts. One is perfect for the alternator side. Other should be more like 1084mm ish.

Need the car asap and can't wait for them to send me the correct one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mate. Just had to wedge my hand to stop the thing rotating.

Still no word back from macht schnell regarding belt size. Poor customer service to be honest.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone have the belt dimention for the power steering side?

Macht Schnell have sent me 2 1415mm ( 6pk 1400) belts. One is perfect for the alternator side. Other should be more like 1084mm ish.

Need the car asap and can't wait for them to send me the correct one.
The PS / AC belt is a 6 rib 20mm x 1076mm Gates part #K060418. For holding the PS pulley I left the belt on, but since I assume the new cranks pulley has been installed you can't put a belt on that fits. You can jam the pulley with a screwdriver, hammer handle, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The PS / AC belt is a 6 rib 20mm x 1076mm Gates part #K060418. For holding the PS pulley I left the belt on, but since I assume the new cranks pulley has been installed you can't put a belt on that fits. You can jam the pulley with a screwdriver, hammer handle, etc.
Mate that is golden. I'll see if I can get that local.

Yeah managed to wedge my hand between PS pulley and idler lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No problem, glad I could help. I kept the belt packaging for if I ever need to get a replacement belt, so the numbers were handy.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah saw that earlier. Cant understand how they sell for the same price as the macht schnell 2 piece.

Had the car out for a leisurely spin last night. Definitely better throttle responce. Also timed her 60-130 on a private back road and got consistent 9.2/9.4 with 3 shifts. But thats for another thread.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah saw that earlier. Cant understand how they sell for the same price as the macht schnell 2 piece.

Had the car out for a leisurely spin last night. Definitely better throttle responce. Also timed her 60-130 on a private back road and got consistent 9.2/9.4 with 3 shifts. But thats for another thread.
Well the two piece kit is relatively new to the market compared to all the other pulley kits offered for our cars. I personally just like the under drive crank pulley setup I don't see the need for two under driven pulleys on our car if there was more gains to be had I would think more vendors would have chose to sell a two pulley setup.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Reviving from the dead here... for you guys that installed the MS Pulley... did you re-use the OEM power steering pump bolts? I got my pulley yesterday and about to schedule an install while the oil is getting changed and noticed they sent me 6 bolts and not 9. I'm assuming the 6 bolts that are supplied are for the crank pulley and I re-use the OEM bolts for the power steering pulley but making sure I didn't just get shorted 3 bolts :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Reviving from the dead here... for you guys that installed the MS Pulley... did you re-use the OEM power steering pump bolts? I got my pulley yesterday and about to schedule an install while the oil is getting changed and noticed they sent me 6 bolts and not 9. I'm assuming the 6 bolts that are supplied are for the crank pulley and I re-use the OEM bolts for the power steering pulley but making sure I didn't just get shorted 3 bolts :)
I think that is correct. It's been a while, but from memory there were replacement allen head bolts for the crank pulley, for the PS pulley I just re-used OEM.

Reactions: Lay3r3
1 - 20 of 26 Posts