BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my M5 a week ago and I do notice that the clutch slips when shifting at high rpm at WOT. Therefor I want to replace it (92k miles so it's understandable). I've searched this clutch on this board and it appears that many are running it with good experiences. I found it for 117 bucks on eBay shipped and it comes with alignment tool, TO bearing and pilot bearing which just seems silly cheap. I'd like to hear some more first hand experience from you guys about your long term use with it. Any additional feedback?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
OEM clutch kit handles very well, some board members have gone with more aggressive set-up, but that depends on your style of driving. I am currently running OEM and have in the past. I am gonna give southbend clutch stage 2/3 ~$500 - $1000 a try next time i swap, but that wont be for a while.

South Bend Clutch

These guys are your closest distributors
HB MOTORWERKS

936 PROFESSIONAL PLACE
CHESAPEAKE, VA 23320

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Southbend has made some reputable clutches for other cars that I've worked on in the past. I'm running a stock setup, so I don't see much point in going over OEM clutch levels. I'm just absolutely shocked that $117 SHIPPED will get you an OEM equivalent clutch with TO bearing/alignment tool/pilot bearing from the OES. Typically deals like that seem too good to be true, but I've read enough reviews that say that they are running it with no issues.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Been running mine now for only 2k miles but its excellent. Also went with the new flywheel from Luk. Al in all very pleased.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still debating on whether or not to change the flywheel at the same time. There is zero chatter, and the clutch only slips when shifting into a gear at WOT. Therefore during typical around town conditions it doesn't slip and likely hasn't heated the FW much.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm still debating on whether or not to change the flywheel at the same time. There is zero chatter, and the clutch only slips when shifting into a gear at WOT. Therefore during typical around town conditions it doesn't slip and likely hasn't heated the FW much.

If you don't change it, at least resurface it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No one resurfaces DMF's around here. Even if they did I wouldn't trust them. I'll likely just lightly go over the surface with ultra fine scotch brite to remove any glazing that may have occured.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would change the flywheel at the same time, with 92K miles it's a good timing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I replaced my flywheel when I did my clutch job in the fall but I would NOT replace it if I went back in time and did it again. After 130K the old flywheel looked perfect and had exactly the same amount of play between the flywheel halves as the brand new one. Waste of money in my case IMO. Peace of mind, I guess, but still a waste.

Also, OEM clutch in my car lasted 130K without any slipping issues so I replaced with the LUK kit, also crazy cheap for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been running Stage 2 from South Bend Clutch for about 10k. They will resurface your DMF as part of buying from them. It is very streetable and is a step up from the original.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I've been running Stage 2 from South Bend Clutch for about 10k. They will resurface your DMF as part of buying from them. It is very streetable and is a step up from the original.

Good to know. I am trying to arrange to have my South Bend Stage 2 Endurance with lightened DMF on Wednesday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts