BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since I lost my license I need some "defensive countermeasures".

I read the test here from the link mentioned on the "K 40 Laser DefuserPlus" thread, and since I know the police in Sweden use the Kustom Pro laser I maybe will go for the , Laser Blinder is from CTS Electronics AB, Mora, Sweden which as you see is to my surprise from my country. The reason why I'll choose this is because it is 100% effective against the Kustom Pro laser.

Also noted that the fine for using a laserjammer in 1200 SEK and the destroy it. But I guess that is worth it because you don't get a 2000 SEK speeding fine and you'll keep you license. I can say from own experience, that it is indeed worth it not loosing your license!

But I have some questions regarding laser.

1. The ONLY defence against laser (aka "instant on" radar) is it a laser jammmer?

2. Anyone have experience of pulling over and the officer says he didn't get a reading because of the jammer? Any good excuse?

3. Is it correct to assume that a laser scanner only telling you when it receives the laser = useless, tells you "Hey, you just got a ticket"

4. Also, have I missed some threads, or have any used a laser jammer with a ON / OFF switch combined with a laserscanner? This should be the ultimate solution. Then the officer first try to shoot you, then he doesn't get a read out from his gun becasue of the jammer. The scanner goes off and warns for the laser pointed at your car, and then when it warns you you simply brake your car to legal speed put the jammer in "OFF" and then the police gets a second read of your legal speed and can't fine you for a jammer since he could read the speed the second time. Isn't this the ultimate solution?

Also, I've read a court case where a driver in Sweden got his jammer back because the court thought it was a garage opener. The attorney asked why it had three LED in a row for opening the garage near the licenseplate, but the answer to this was becasue of the LED gets dirty there is a need for these for enhancing the signal all the way to the receiver on the garage...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gustav:

Not sure I'd want to bet my electronics on on getting a stupid judge :) :)

Funny story though!

Can anyone respond to Gustav's question re: what do you tell the cop when he pulls you over 'cuz he got no reading? Smells like an invitation for him to cite you for not having your nose hair trimmed!

Shawn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

Haha. That guy in Sweden is really a piece of work. I wish I can come up with those lines.

BTW, I remember reading Car & Driver a long time ago(3~5yrs ago) and those Jammers were rated useless. Don't know about it now. But it did mention that if u remove all the chrome on ur car and cover other reflective parts (headlights) u actually reduce 60% of the risk. ie radar misses u. It also help if ur car is in darker color.

Hope this helps,

ET

·
Registered
306 Posts
According to :
http://www.laserbuster.com/report.html

The laser blinder does not have a in-cabin audio warning while the K-40 Laser Defuser Plus has it. I'm planning to install the latter with an in-cabin an on/off switch which according to my installer is definitely possible.

So, when hit first time, I slow down and turn the jammer off, as simple as that. Most likely, the cop will try again with a much slower reading.

Why no reading?

Interference with cellular phone! See, even the manufacturer warns us about it. As you can read from the car manual, they recommend us buying and installing the car's own built in phone and not our own handheld ones

Eric

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Well, Steve Warran from the UK Speedtrap guide said that he recommends the Blinder Laserjammer over the K40. He says they're both just as effective, but the Blinder is easier to install and looks much better on the car. http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jammer.htm

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have been told by a state trooper that "Instant on" is NOT lazar. I've been told by a local cop that it IS lazar. Does anyone know with absolute assurance?
Bruce

·
Registered
61 Posts
also i read in i think in car and driver, they did a test on the K40 diffuser. They said that when using this diffuser, your brights on, and the special license plate cover, the range for laser is severely cut down. the article is somewhere on car and driver's website. Putting on your brights intereferes with laser somehow, at night i guess its useless on crowded roads, but during the day you can probably drive with your brights on without a problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
bruce, "instant on" is NOT laser. it is radar used in such a way that the operator turns it on selectively, rather than leaving it on for long periods. as such, it is harder for a detector to sniff it out. laser must be stationary, and cannot go through glass. in most areas, you don't have to worry much about laser: radar is much more common, cheaper and easier to use. in any event, watch out for the cops and everyone else! best luck,
michael

·
Registered
306 Posts
The article I mentioned from Speed Labs
http://www.laserbuster.com/report.html

is dated Oct 97 which seems to be more updated than the Car and Driver one.

Laser Wars
Speed Measurement Laboratories, Inc.
Report SL1097-14, 15 October 1997, Laser Countermeasures

According to the test, some of the laser jammers worked quite well even without the plastic plate cover or high beams on.

Just bought a K40, will see if it works well.

·
Banned
300 Posts
I've had a Laser Blinder for a while now and it works like a champ...saved me

twice on laser tickets so far....plus I have the BEL Pro RX65 radar detector......I

have yet to get a ticket and I drive at double the speed limit all the time...

checkout http://www.radarbusters.com
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

1 - 10 of 10 Posts