BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short i used chf 11s when i was doing my clutch instead of dot 4 brake fluid. The other day when i was driving the brakes seized up. Im guessing maybe the fluid expanded the seals in the brake system causing it to lock? I have been searching everywhere and cant seem to find an answer.Help!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
That is not brake fluid, you are lucky that is all that happened :eek:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Wow... CHF11 is power steering fluid... nice

There are lots of reputable mechanics in your area, no offence but I recommend using them in the future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... CHF11 is power steering fluid... nice

There are lots of reputable mechanics in your area, no offence but I recommend using them in the future.
i am kicking my self in the *** for this, it was late and i was trying to get the car running for the weekend, i did a break flush and power steering flush and had both containers sitting next to each other and just grabbed one topped it off and went for a test drive.

i have flushed the brakes out, but before going for a test drive i need to know if chf 11s will mess up seals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh man... I wouldn't chance it.. back at my old dealership, we would not touch the braking system if someone messed it up like that with the wrong fluid unless we replaced EVERYTHING in the brake system. brake systems are nothing to half a**. you might be able to get away with a flush, but i don't think it would mess up the seals, since there are rubber seals in the PS system as well

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh man... I wouldn't chance it.. back at my old dealership, we would not touch the braking system if someone messed it up like that with the wrong fluid unless we replaced EVERYTHING in the brake system. brake systems are nothing to half a**. you might be able to get away with a flush, but i don't think it would mess up the seals, since there are rubber seals in the PS system as well
What would you flush it with?? It's got to get in evry nook and cranny of the ABS control unit, all the lines proportion valve (I think the M5 has one).. anyway, and still be comptable with the DOT4 to follow... I mean, is it actually possible to do without disassembly of each caliper, master cylinder, etc??

·
Registered
988 Posts
Repeated flushes with brake fluid until all the PS fluid is displaced..After about 3 or 4 flushes open a low point and flush it to a container and check for purity…Then refill it and bleed the crap out of it…..Good Luck with all that..S

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Repeated flushes with brake fluid until all the PS fluid is displaced..After about 3 or 4 flushes open a low point and flush it to a container and check for purity…Then refill it and bleed the crap out of it…..Good Luck with all that..S
And the ABS unit (GT1 or equivalent) if any hydraulic fluid got in. You may get lucky, if you just topped up and never activated the ABS, multiple flushes will probably work.

I would use cheap DOT 4 for my flushes and then use a good DOT 4 for the last go around. Personal preference is Motul 600, about $15-18 a bottle.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts