BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer called me today to inform me that the production slot for their first M5 had just opened up (the guy who reserved it bailed on them). So now I'm getting October delivery!

As I take the next few days to decide on options (...and why aren't floormats standard?!), I would love advice from current/expectant M5 owners about options and about the purchase process in general. I seem to recall reading some horror stories and would like to make this experience as pleasurable as I expect it to be.

I do plan to take the BMW driving course, but I have not yet decided if I will take delivery in Spartanburg. As mentioned, any and all advice is welcome.

Also I would love to hear from anyone with first-hand experience who can reassure me that I won't regret passing on the NSX that I test-drove yesterday. I chose the M5 over the NSX because it will be my daily driver.

Thanks in advance,
-jay

'00 528i (wife's)
'01 M5 (in october, woo hoo!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I am the person "whose" (there's no way I will take that car as mine) M5 is seriously damaged at the port when it was in unloading process at port jersey.

Your dealer should give you a fax from BMW NA at each car status 111-ready to order, 112-? 150-in production.

After 150, you should see some stuff in the fax from BMW that says "VPC disclosure." VPC stands for Vehicle Processing Center, where BMW NA prepares the cars to be delivered to dealers here in the US.

They WILL disclose damages incurred during transportation, if any, IF YOU ASK before handing over the check.

I highly recommend that you get such a thing in writing. I still can't find my way up BMW NA's corporate mazes to grab the department that handles this by the balls. If anyone else has some clue, please share with us.

And my dealer still has not contacted me regarding a new production slot, which he said he has obtained one in October.

Have fun with your new M5

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Floormats are standard. Unless it's a change for '01. For 00 models at least, only options were the rear sunshade, split folding seats, PDC and the garage door opener.

In all honesty, I dont think PDC is worth it, but you might as well get everything if you want it. Garage door opener is a nice feature (surprisingly not standard). Folding seats rattle to my understanding (I dont have them).

I'm curious as to whether there are any other options for you '01 owners. Please tell.

--Dan

·
Registered
911 Posts
Congrats on your new delivery date! I have the folding rear seats and they do tend to squeak whenever I go over a bumpy surface. On smooth asphalt there's no sound. As for the garage door opener, Dan, I've heard it doesn't work very well. Apparently the transmission range isn't as effective as a standare hand held remote. Any thoughts? Also, I'm assuming you have it, did you have it installed after taking delivery or did you opt for it?

Thanks,

Alex
00 Titanium/Black

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't have any problems with the range of the garage door opener. It does indeed have a shorter range than the hand held I use in my other car, but I find the range sufficient.

The opener is a dealer installed option on the '00. I've heard it comes standard in the '01 (not sure, though). If you have it installed by the dealer, then make sure to get a price quote. Don't make the mistake I made. I just told them to install one. They charged me $450 for what I believe is a $170 opener, a $20 or so alcanatara cover, and 15 minutes of work.

Marc

·
Registered
417 Posts
abang,

I couldn't find your email address, but if you like I can mail you the ph# to a contact at BMWNA that I worked with in the past.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I originally ordered mine with all the options, but there are some limitations:

1. Rear sunshade -- can't be had with all leather

2. PDC -- those sensors make car look a little uglier than the one without

3. fold-down rear seats -- I heard they squeak

The choice is agony, I guess.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
No. I don't have the garage door openers. I just keep my garage door handheld in the big driver's side pocket, and the gate opener in the little one. I've found that the ltle "slide-cover" pocket in the center console is great for keys (I don't carry other than my car's), and that the phone slot fits nokia phones perfectly. What I don't understand is why the stupid armrest SLIDES forward. Would get in the way of gearchanges if you do.

--Dan

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have all those things and the garage door opener. The range is ok for me. My seats haven't started making noise yet, I'll keep an eye on that. The park distance control works very well and will be more common in the future. 01 will have it on the front as well. So get it.

Good luck with your car.

Sign up for the experience when you get your vin number the dealer must submit your ss# it's needed for the 1099 for the value of the experience. And watch your plane reservations the prices vary day to day. Travelocity has an alert directly to your email when a target price set by you is reached. I saved $300.00 in planning my reservation. And that not off higher listed fares that are published.

If you intend to finance do it on the internet it works great. You get a check up to the amount approved overnight if necessary and the loan begins when the check is executed and the amount written in by you. I did it on a Saturday morning and got approval within 20 minutes by phone and email. Do this three weeks in advance of expected delivery. The car will probable arrive a little earlier than they say and you don't want to be caught short. The dealer rates will be higher on such a demand vehicle.

Install the garage door opener yourself, as earlier said they charge a lot. It's simple.

Finally take your time going over the car. BMW is a first class operation, if you have problems they will fix them. I wish I could say the same for Mercedes. Mercedes dealers will give you the run around, which has to be factory inspired. Not so with BMW.

These are some of the practicle things that will come up over the next few weeks.

Have confidence, your are buying a car that only comes along only once in a while, it's special, enjoy it.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Most importantly you must check the car thoroughly before accepting delivery from the dealer. No matter how 'excited' one might be about getting behind the wheel of a new M5, check out every body panel etc. for any dents and scratches and REFUSE to take delivery unless the dealer gives you a perfect car. Take it for a short test drive with the dealer to check everything is working under the hood as well. Problems are much easier to solve when you nip them in the bud - i.e. before you hand over final payment... as the dealer will be far more receptive when you hold the pursestrings.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts