BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my speedometer has been possessed by demons. I don't know if I tore open a gateway to Hell driving home last night, but I now have one of its former residents riding shotgun. The needle just bounces all over the place. Sometimes it works for a few minutes, but not long. Is my cable bad, or just loose? Any ideas? I will try Holy Water tonight just in case.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Timon said:
It seems that my speedometer has been possessed by demons. I don't know if I tore open a gateway to Hell driving home last night, but I now have one of its former residents riding shotgun. The needle just bounces all over the place. Sometimes it works for a few minutes, but not long. Is my cable bad, or just loose? Any ideas? I will try Holy Water tonight just in case.
....this happened to me one with an E30....I think the E34 is the same. The speed sensor plugs ito the rear diff and counts the crown wheel teeth (or some other feature). The most likley cause of your problem will be a broken wire. Either the wire insulation has cracked (where the exposed wire goes into the sensor) causing the copper to corode (difficult to spot) or the wires broken near or above the rear axle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECM4 said:
....this happened to me one with an E30....I think the E34 is the same. The speed sensor plugs ito the rear diff and counts the crown wheel teeth (or some other feature). The most likley cause of your problem will be a broken wire. Either the wire insulation has cracked (where the exposed wire goes into the sensor) causing the copper to corode (difficult to spot) or the wires broken near or above the rear axle.

How much of a pain in the *** is it to replace. Besides releasing the demons on this side I also released some nasty, hot, sticky weather. I hate when it's nasty out. Feels like you're walking around in a nasty arm pit.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Timon said:
How much of a pain in the *** is it to replace. Besides releasing the demons on this side I also released some nasty, hot, sticky weather. I hate when it's nasty out. Feels like you're walking around in a nasty arm pit.
It normally screws out of the diff but I've never looked at the setup on the M5. Can't even remember if it has a connector built in or a wire tail. I fixed my E30 with solder and heat shrink.

Listen mate I've just spent 4 days looking at rain and temperatures have only just struggled back into double figures!! Where's that AC button?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts