BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that aftermarket exhausts have been discussed ad infinitum.

I just sold my 2000 M5. The new owner did not want to pay extra for my movit Porsche Brembo brakes. However, he insisted that the car retain its Kelleners export version exhaust.

Having heard all the exhaust sound bites on this board, its my humble (and studied) belief that the Kelleners exhaust makes the nicest, deepest, "racy" sound without being too intrusive to the occupants (probably due in part to the E39's great sound deadening.

So while the rest of you wax poetically about the Remus, Supersprint/Hamann, B & B, Tubi, Borla, Dinan et al, don't forget about the (lately) seldom-mentioned Kelleners!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where did you get the brakes from. Did you keep the set, would you sell them. Would you recommend this and did they have the red calipers and cross drilled rotors.

thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where did you get the Kelleners exhaust? I'm interested in it for my 2001 Le Mans. Thanks

Originally posted by HadE55NowM5:
I have noticed lately that aftermarket exhausts have been discussed ad infinitum.

I just sold my 2000 M5. The new owner did not want to pay extra for my movit Porsche Brembo brakes. However, he insisted that the car retain its Kelleners export version exhaust.

Having heard all the exhaust sound bites on this board, its my humble (and studied) belief that the Kelleners exhaust makes the nicest, deepest, "racy" sound without being too intrusive to the occupants (probably due in part to the E39's great sound deadening.

So while the rest of you wax poetically about the Remus, Supersprint/Hamann, B & B, Tubi, Borla, Dinan et al, don't forget about the (lately) seldom-mentioned Kelleners!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you keep the brakes? I live in Orange County and would be willing to come to San Diego to purchase the brakes. Please call me:

Steve Miller 714-708-7415 office or drop me an email:

[email protected]

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where did you get your Kelleners exhaust? Could you please email it to me? [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the exhaust directly from Bohm + Kelleners in Germany. I dealt with Ralf Kelleners directly -- I forgot the name of the person in charge of the parts dept. They both speak perfect English.

+49-2064-449980
+49-2064-449940 - Fax

An added benefit of this system is that the tips look more-or-less stock (except that they are larger in diameter (90mm vs. 72mm).

The inside tip on the left and right sides are slightly longer than their "outside" counterparts so as to conform to the gentle convex curve of the rear bumper (similar to the OEM tip set-up).

·
Registered
49,476 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts

The Tubistyle still sounds best!

------------------

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if you work for Tubi
. Maybe a nice discount off your's for spreading the word...

Regardless, I think an M5/Tubi soundbite is going to be essential to sell the product. When you have your's installed make sure to hook us up!

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are two points that I would like to make on the "great exhaust debate";

1. You can't listen to camera sound bites piped through your tiny computer speakers(even those with a subwoofer) to be able to judge the real sound of an exhaust system. The real sound experience of my B&B Triflo's was a lot different than the soundbite - I like the real sound better. It is even harder to compare two types of exhausts this way if they are recorded under different conditions and with different equipment. Bottom line; you have to listen to them in person. This means you need a few early guinea pigs that have them installed that you can use as a real reference point.

2. My guess is that most folks that have a real strong opinion on the "best" exhaust system have only listened to one after-market exhaust - or maybe they have never listened to one on an M5 at all. I really like my B&B's but I have never listened to any other exhausts and because of this you will not catch me purporting to have the "best" sounding exhausts. I would love to do a comparison with other exhausts to help all of you that are considering a new purchase. (Wine Country drive #2 in NorCal on Nov. 4 is the next opportunity if we get some cars with other after-markets to show up.)

John

·
Registered
459 Posts
And what is the price ($US) for a pair of Kelleners exhaust?

Thanks
I bought the exhaust directly from Bohm + Kelleners in Germany. I dealt with Ralf Kelleners directly -- I forgot the name of the person in charge of the parts dept. They both speak perfect English.

+49-2064-449980
+49-2064-449940 - Fax

An added benefit of this system is that the tips look more-or-less stock (except that they are larger in diameter (90mm vs. 72mm).

The inside tip on the left and right sides are slightly longer than their "outside" counterparts so as to conform to the gentle convex curve of the rear bumper (similar to the OEM tip set-up).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Great points John, one think I'd like to add. Almost every exhaust sound recording we've encountered has been with the car revving at standstill. As all you exhaust owners know, the sound is totally different with a load on the engine. However it would be extremely difficult to record the sound while the car is in motion (wind noise, etc.) unless it's a simple driving-by recording much like the ones on the Tubi site.

With that said, I am still very interested in sound clips...they are much better than nothing at all! Although the sound could be inaccurate, when comparing exhausts that will sound vastly different (Tubi/Triflo), one can still get an idea of what to expect and make a purchase decision accordingly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alloy,

That's the funniest **** I've heard in awhile....thanks!!
The thought never crossed my mind until i heard the clip, what a nice surprise lol!

JohnE

·
Registered
844 Posts

Who wants a "deep" sound in a multivalve, 4 cam, european engine ? That's what you want for an American muscle car. A high performance multivalve 4 cam engine should have a higher pitch mechanical whirl sound at idle that increases in pitch as the revs increase ala Ferrari-BMW.WilliamsF1 sound. sound.

------------------

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by RaMsEs:
I'm still trying to figure out if you work for Tubi
. Maybe a nice discount off your's for spreading the word...

Regardless, I think an M5/Tubi soundbite is going to be essential to sell the product. When you have your's installed make sure to hook us up!
No I don't work there, but I have had Tubi exhaust on several Ferraris and a 95 M3 in the past.

------------------

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did not mean to convey that my M5 with its Kelleners export version exhaust installed makes the car sound like an American muscle car.

Au contraire, the motor "screams" as a four-valve, four cam motor ought to.

I would not go so far as to describe the sound as a "shriek."

As one of the world's largest purveyors of historic and modern Ferraris (Symbolic Motor Car Company, Ferrari of Los Gatos, et al), I am more than familiar with the characteristics of these various cars.

Don't forget that the 3.5 Liter V8 motor in the Ferrari 355 has a much smaller displacement (and stroke) than the 5-liter M5. Additionally, the 180 degree crankshaft throw on all modern Ferrari V8 engines contribute as much as anything to their high-pitched exhaust note (vs. the lower ptiched rumble of either an American OHV motor or Mercedes-Benz/BMW/Porsche 928 DOHC
V8).

I'd be really suprised if the M5 with Tubi sounded anywhere as high-pitched as a Ferrari 355 with its OEM exhaust (due to the aforementioned differences in engine design).

Just m y $.02

1 - 20 of 30 Posts