BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I had my exhaust installed by RPi 4 years ago, they wrapped the exhaust about 4 feet from the headers. After time scraping the underside of the exhaust going over speed bumps, it started to come apart. So I decided to take off all the exhaust from the headers to the rear and replace it with
DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap with LR Technology. Once I completed that I sprayed the wrap with an exhaust wrap spray that helps the life of it by coating it with a high temp silicone coating. Called DEI HT Silicone Coating. The purpose of the complete wrap is to keep the exhaust from cooling down as it move from the headers to the tailpipes. This according to racing experts keeps the gases hot for a faster exit which help in reducing back pressure. It not only does that but it does quite the inside of the car somewhat. I got all my goods on line from Summit Racing. I may have gone a bit overboard but why not. My RPi headers are also ceramic coated inside and out to assist in moving the exhaust as fast as possible.

The pictures shown are prior to removing the exhaust, with what little was left of the original wrap, to the completion of the project.
NOTE: The way my car pulls at high speeds, I do think it is due to several things. Headers, Catless, Ceramic Coating and the Heat Wrap. I have had this car to 160 mph and the strength of the pull seems like I was only at 100 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Interesting. I can certainly see how it would quieten the inside of the car some. As for the hotter gases making a performance difference, I question whether that is noticeable in a car such as this. A race car, maybe more so. Either way, it sounds like a fun project :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
That looks great, I don't know if this stuff causes a performance gain although the science makes sense to me but what I know for sure from my motorcycle that has a wrapped exhaust it absolutely does what it says on the tin.

The bike exhaust is blue right after the wrap and it wouldn't be blue that far back without the wrap.

I will probably add it to my car, if i ever get it back.

I wonder what would happen if you still ran a cat? as in would you risk damage to the cat?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lightningmcnulty
I would think it would not hurt the cat, since I am sure the heat is not tremendous. But who knows. If you do this to your car, post the results for both noise reduction in the cabin and or if you see any difference in pulling power. I had a 2007 M6 and by no means did it pull as hard as my 2010 in the 150 plus MPH. That could be the headers and cat less making it pull so hard. But with new cars coming out that have the potential of our M6s eating the dust, I will do what ever it takes to gain any edge I can. So far batting a 1000.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I expect your right, as far as i know cats work off heat but I don't know if there is a limit to that.

I will do when I get the car back ha ha.

We need to meet up, i'm moving to canoga park so we should be close soon, I need to know how your dealing with smog's etc:haha:

Also i'd love to talk bolt on's to you in person before I start spending money.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not get everything coated with ceramic instead of wrapped?
I had the headers ceramic coated and was going to do the exhaust but there was a two week time frame and I would have a hard time not having my car for that period of time. And does not ceramic simple help the gases flow more smoothly and not so much keeping the heat inside. Not sure, but if time was not an issue I would have done the ceramic on the rest of the exhaust.

·
Registered
138 Posts
no, ceramic coating works just like exhaust wrap.

for future reference there are ceramic sprays you can buy for home use but I don't know how good they are as I have never used one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts