BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the route I want to take in upgrading the exhaust components on the M5, since that, combined with Powerchip, seems like the best way to get some real power and still be somewhat economical.

If I have my ducks in line, the components of the exhaust are: headers, downpipes (if using oem cats), aftermarket cats, H or X pipe, mufflers. Am I missing anything?

I have a few questions here:

-Would it be dumb to do headers first, leaving the rest of the system stock. Would I still get the advertised gains of the headers?
-Are the OEM cats adequate for use with aftermarket headers? For the advertised gains of cats, given the cost, it doesn't seem like an amount I'd like to spend. However, if having OEM cats will greatly effect the performance gains advertised of the headers, it would make sense to do cats as well

I'm trying to determine if I can put my cash towards the pieces that will give me the great power, (headers and powerchip) and then later do the mufflers and a mid pipe.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Headers are acually the true power gainer of around 25-30 hp...The rest of the exhaust is mostly for sound...Though the tubi does drop alot of weight. So yes its fine and makes alot of sence to do just the headers and chip.

If you change the cats you will get alot more hp, usally around 1hp :) Yeah 1. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
like jayson says, the headers are the big gain. THe oe exhaust is pretty efficient. Some have claimed 10hp on the dyno, others have seen nothing. Seems like cats are maybe worth a few hp, not worth the money imho. There have been quite a few used exhausts floating around, you can probably find something at 50% retail. I just picked up a set of dinan mufflers off ebay for under a grand!
Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still not sure what exhaust I want, but I want to buy something for the car. There's only a few options for headers it seems, with SS beings the most popular, but there are cheaper options, such as RD Sport. So, since I can't make up the mind on the mufflers, I'm thinking I can do headers and get some useful gains.

How many hours labor should be expected to pay for a header installer? Does anything have to be pulled off the car to do it?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
HDClown said:
I'm still not sure what exhaust I want, but I want to buy something for the car. There's only a few options for headers it seems, with SS beings the most popular, but there are cheaper options, such as RD Sport. So, since I can't make up the mind on the mufflers, I'm thinking I can do headers and get some useful gains.

How many hours labor should be expected to pay for a header installer? Does anything have to be pulled off the car to do it?
Choose headers carefully, as they are not all the same. Fitment, design, construction, materials and the necessary installation steps are things to consider. These things will greatly impact installation labor costs, reliability and satisfaction.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I just picked up a set of dinan mufflers off ebay for under a grand!
Nice, but Mike, you already have Supersprints. Gonna change them out for the Dinans?

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Nice, but Mike, you already have Supersprints. Gonna change them out for the Dinans?
Yep... time for a change. I've been wanting something a little quieter since doing the headers. It was going to be either tubi or dinan, these were in the right place at the right time at a good price.

As for headers (back to the original question). If you search, you'll find there were fittment issues with the RD sport headers, i do not thing they are currently available. Supersprint has proven to be a good product. You need to unbolt the left side motor mount to get the oe manifold out, iirc but otherwise it's remove and reinstall.
There's always dinan, but that price... and they involve dropping the subframe to install.
Mike

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm very happy with my system. I received a lot of positive comments from strangers.

A company rigged up microphones and my exhaust notes will be featured on an M5 for an upcoming game that is currently in development.

I had the headers and cats installed at the same time, so I do not know how each individually affected the power output or sound, but I do like the combined result along with the Tubi's. I don't find it offensive or intrusive at all.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I definately haven't done my header research yet, just price shopping first. Good to know about RD Sport. Beastpower still sells them on their website. I wonder if the fitment issue was resolved.

Was there ever any issues with the RD RS Tubular Headers?

I'm not looking to spend more money then necessary, so Dinan is out and same with Hartge. What else is out there in header land up the $3000 price?

Sounds like a header install is a 2 or 3 hour job, is that about right?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I think the RD tubler headers fit just as well as supersprint, I think it was their first set of headers that had problems.

Hers my recomendations:

Dinan headers: Not cheap by anymeans at 8K, but very nice..
If thats to much either supersprint or RD I dont think you really go wrong either way flip a coin.

If you want the rest of the exhaust, I say tubi, if you want it louder tubi remor.

Tubi is the exhaust company. :) Not to mention you get the catback system unlike many that leave out the xpipe, or give you just the mufflers.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
HDClown said:
I definately haven't done my header research yet, just price shopping first. Good to know about RD Sport. Beastpower still sells them on their website. I wonder if the fitment issue was resolved.

Was there ever any issues with the RD RS Tubular Headers?

I'm not looking to spend more money then necessary, so Dinan is out and same with Hartge. What else is out there in header land up the $3000 price?

Sounds like a header install is a 2 or 3 hour job, is that about right?
Header install if far from a simple 2-3 hour job...Expect a full day. IT's very tight under there.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike,

I hope you like a raspy metalic sound, because thats what the combination of Supersprint headers and Dinan cans is going to give you. I've heard it in person multiple times, and it wasn't exactly to my liking.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Through my experience in the M5 community, and even a short time in the aftermarket business I've come to a final conclusion. The M5 is tuned quite efficiently from the factory. The money you pay for the gains you get aren't all that impressive. $900 dollar software makes an arguable gain, CAI and AFM's net 10hp, etc. I've concluded that it is probably most wise to leave the engine alone. Adding an exhaust and software to de-limit the car is as far as I would go.

Were not talking about a car under forced induction, where gains are 2-3 times as big and half the money. The 996TT and E55 guys are laughing because for 3K they can get another 100hp.

Modifying engines is a slippery road to go down, consumers beware.

Travis

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
HDClown said:
In my analysis, a while back, I concluded that SS Headers would be cheaper than RD Sport, when I included the estimated labor costs for the respective systems.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
M5Kid said:
Mike,

I hope you like a raspy metalic sound, because thats what the combination of Supersprint headers and Dinan cans is going to give you. I've heard it in person multiple times, and it wasn't exactly to my liking.
I'm putting the oe resonators back in, so i think it'll be fine. I've driven in m5's with headers, resonators and dinan mufflers and i liked the sound. Definately quieter than my supersprints with x pipe and headers.
Mike

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
M5Kid said:
Through my experience in the M5 community, and even a short time in the aftermarket business I've come to a final conclusion. The M5 is tuned quite efficiently from the factory. The money you pay for the gains you get aren't all that impressive. $900 dollar software makes an arguable gain, CAI and AFM's net 10hp, etc. I've concluded that it is probably most wise to leave the engine alone. Adding an exhaust and software to de-limit the car is as far as I would go.

Were not talking about a car under forced induction, where gains are 2-3 times as big and half the money. The 996TT and E55 guys are laughing because for 3K they can get another 100hp.

Modifying engines is a slippery road to go down, consumers beware.

Travis
Well said.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike,

The car I heard had the Supersprint X-pipe on it, which I'm sure contributed to the raspy twang. I hope you like the sound.

Travis

·
Registered
837 Posts
Call me biased, but buy kelleners and then the headers and call it good, josh

·
Registered
837 Posts
Forgot to mention after you get the headers buy the power chip software, to adjust the airfuel ratio, josh

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
My installer charged 8 hours, which included changing diffs and doing a little fabricating work on the connecting pipes, which didn't quite fit. I would allow one full day of work (mine was spread over two).

As to sound, that is personal, hard to judge. I am very happy with SS headers, stock resonators and Hamann rear cans. Pretty quiet at idle, doesn't make too much noise until you get some rpms. It is best if you can hear a setup you are contemplating.

Headers definitely require remapping the ECU. I like Powerchip.

HD, next time I go to Orlando you can listen, or you are welcome to take a trip to Palm Beach ( I am right off of I-95) and listen for yourself.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 39 Posts