BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading several posts about exhaust systems I think i've figured out what a 'header' and 'muffler' is. however, could someone enlighten me what the following terminologies refer to:
- section 1, 2 and 3
- x-pipe
- resonator
- cat

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The e60 M5 exhaust contains 4 sections: header with primary CAT, section 1 with secondary CAT, section 2 which contains the resonator, and section 3 (muffler).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Also, the X-Pipe/H Pipe term refers to sec 2, which is the resonator section.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Also any modifications done to Section 1 would be straight through pipes (deleting the secondary cat) or upgrading to race cats

·
Registered
288 Posts
So most of the aftermarket systems we see, we can usually choose 1 of the 3 sections to upgrade or all of them, correct?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
Also any modifications done to Section 1 would be straight through pipes (deleting the secondary cat) or upgrading to race cats
Correct.

So most of the aftermarket systems we see, we can usually choose 1 of the 3 sections to upgrade or all of them, correct?
You can pick and choose. Most people start with just section 3, though there are many who do 2 or all 3 sections at once. Heck, some people start at the header and go all the way back. :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
after reading several posts about exhaust systems I think i've figured out what a 'header' and 'muffler' is. however, could someone enlighten me what the following terminologies refer to:
- section 1, 2 and 3
- x-pipe
- resonator
- cat

thanks in advance!
header=exhaust manifold (collects the exhaust gases and is the first part of the exhaust system)

cat=catalyst or catalytic converter (this is platinum coated cellular metalic structure which converts the exhaust gasses loaded with unburnt fuel into a more enviromentally friendly gas). Most manufacturer cell count for cats are 300 cells per inch or greater. Performance cats are around 100-200 cell count.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info guys! i now feel enlightened :) don't think i'm gonna mess with the headers and cats for now...might try the muffler first.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I made the following modifications:

1.) Evosport sec. 1 without cats.
2.) Evosport sec. 2 without resonators
3.) Tubistyle Rumore Exhaust

Now, I regret what I have done this.... :grrrrr: Now my car is too loud to be useable in the normal road.

First my problems:

1.) There is choking under low RPM 40 to 45 km/h at 2,500 RPM sometimes in 3rd or 4th gear.
2.) It is not as responsive in upshifting or downshifting

I thought you only need ECU mod when you change headers. Is ECU mod the solution to my drivability problem.

I need to lower down the volume. Can I put a custom built resonator in my Sec. 1 or is it better to be in Sec. 2?

Can I put resonators in both Sec. 1 and Sec. 2?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I made the following modifications:

1.) Evosport sec. 1 without cats.
2.) Evosport sec. 2 without resonators
3.) Tubistyle Rumore Exhaust

Now, I regret what I have done this.... :grrrrr: Now my car is too loud to be useable in the normal road.

First my problems:

1.) There is choking under low RPM 40 to 45 km/h at 2,500 RPM sometimes in 3rd or 4th gear.
2.) It is not as responsive in upshifting or downshifting

I thought you only need ECU mod when you change headers. Is ECU mod the solution to my drivability problem.

I need to lower down the volume. Can I put a custom built resonator in my Sec. 1 or is it better to be in Sec. 2?

Can I put resonators in both Sec. 1 and Sec. 2?
I have:
Evosport Sect 1 (catless)
Stock Section 2
Evosport Sport Muffler (quiter version)
Result: perfect sound; no drone, louder especially during WOT.
Performance improvement according to butt dyno. :haha:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts