BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM exhaust is blowing. Need to make a decision on a new exhaust asap. Here is what I'm thinking, would love some input:

1. Buy this

2. Get someone to chop the tips off and replace with my stock tips (after having chopped them off as well)

3. Get a fabricator to make the exhaust section from the rear exhaust to the OEM cats which I'll leave in place for now. This will delete the resonator.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No chance of repair? My centre box rusted at the rear and I welded a plate in that sealed it (first time I'd done anything like that). Very satisfying having the original exhaust if you (or someone else for you) can do it.

·
10,458 Posts
my sedan has the supersprint system (they also have a resonator, as well as a catalyst replacement section if you're in a place that doesn't require the cat). I really like the sound, i have the older design, so the tips are not quite as nice as the pic above. It's a good system.

That said, you can buy a brand new OE cat back exhaust for less money than the supersprint system. Last time i checked, around $1k US.
Can't go wrong with that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No chance of repair? My centre box rusted at the rear and I welded a plate in that sealed it (first time I'd done anything like that). Very satisfying having the original exhaust if you (or someone else for you) can do it.
Why do you say it's satisfying to have the original?

I can repair it but it's pretty rotten. Better to replace that section between the back box and the resonator I feel. Everything else is in great condition

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I can repair it but it's pretty rotten. Better to replace that section between the back box and the resonator I feel. Everything else is in great condition

·
Registered
107 Posts
chapperdababbar

i have the full supersprint, inluding center resonated box and cat replacement frontpipes it sounds lovely not as loud as the eisenmann, the sound is closer to stock but its beautifully made and fits perfectly

can i ask why you would want to cut the tips off?? so that it looks like a standard exhaust? if this is the case i would just go and have something made by a local exhaust place and have them weld the tips to that, seems pointless buying a supersprint and then chopping it to bits.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mpower, thanks for the reply and for the attempt at my username :)

The reason I was thinking about buying the supersprint backbox and chopping the tips is because I assumed it was the backbox that makes the music i.e. the specific shape and contents of the supersprint box. I've listened to a few videos and I really like the sound of the supersprint but I don't like the look. I much prefer OEM and don't think it can be bettered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
apologies for the miss spelt username i wrote the post in a rush :)

cutting the tips off/replacing with std part wont effect the sound so if thats what you want to do then go for it if you like the sound of that box in particular i just dont think i could do it to a nice shiny, new part.

each to their own, im sure it will sound lovely. :)

·
10,458 Posts
the new design tips are much more OE looking, i think. Are you looking at pics and video of the old "double walled" style tip? That's what i have on my sedan, not thrilled with the look but love the sound. The "updated" design looks much better (like the muffler you have in the picture).

I did ask a muffler shop if they could cut the tips off and weld new ones on, and they said it wouldn't come out well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

If there's no performance benefit, original is best... And I like to keep as pure an M5 as I can afford.

I think it's pretty cool to be passing MOTs with a 22 year old original exhaust system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Billy Boat (B&B) on my 525i that I really like. I'm about to put it on my '93 M5. I'll report back. I love the sound but the tips are too long which I don't like. I'm interested in cutting the tips off actually!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the new design tips are much more OE looking, i think. Are you looking at pics and video of the old "double walled" style tip? That's what i have on my sedan, not thrilled with the look but love the sound. The "updated" design looks much better (like the muffler you have in the picture).

I did ask a muffler shop if they could cut the tips off and weld new ones on, and they said it wouldn't come out well.
Hmmm...interesting

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the super sprint system too - fits fine and about 10 kg lighter the the original - that said, if I was replacing the system now, I'd have gone for the stock system as I prefer the sound, it's just that this one was cheaper at the time! I also wish I'd swapped the tips too, so I know here you are coming from.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Old one out

Much better:

Nice fresh tips:

I thought about the supersprint some more but I preferred to keep it original in the end. Very happy with the result. Getting a burning smell from the exhaust though which I need to get checked out.

·
10,458 Posts
Burning smell from a new exhaust is normal. Give it a few days of use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts