BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to mod my stock exhaust to sound a bit louder, nothing to extreme.
as i was searching i found out that people have either done muffler delete or resonator/secondary cats delete.
which route should i go ? i dont want to lose a single hp or torque
any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would consider either an aftermarket section 3 or cutoff-valves.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're going to delete, do a muffler delete and not the resonator/secondary cats. I did a half delete (removed the two outer cans) and it added the sound I wanted, no drone, and its not noticeable while driving on the freeway. It's a bit loud on a cold start, but once it warms up it is fine.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you go with cutouts, you can close them during the cold start which takes the sound back to stock.
Until of course, you press the button to open them back up to listen to the screaming v10 symphony.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you go with cutouts, you can close them during the cold start which takes the sound back to stock.
Until of course, you press the button to open them back up to listen to the screaming v10 symphony.
I thought about doing the cutouts, but it was a lot of cost and something else to break. The muffler delete sounds awesome and other than the cold start there really isn't any negatives about it. It's also cheap!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for reply folks , my main concern is not losing any hp or tq and not looking to spend too much how much do valve cut outs cost?

·
Registered
153 Posts
if you don't want to spend that much...

I got the idea for this setup from a member here (in the M6 area, actually) who put this on his M6. It's a simple formula that (I think) sounds almost perfect, but costs around half of what you'd spend on ANY other 3-section...and even less expensive than most section 3 only exhausts.

Remove everything from the primary cats back. Right there you're losing close to 120 pounds. Behind the primary cats now is a Magnaflow Tru-X muffler and then 2 1/2" stainless steel pipe...which is all mandrel bent and TIG welded...all the way back to a dual tip on each side.

Keep in mind that what you hear in this video clip is the first cold start with the new exhaust installed. It sounds better once warmed up. Also, for those who might be interested in such a system, I talked Leroy into agreeing to build and sell the same thing he did with mine...all mandrel bent and TIG welded stainless steel tubing, with hangars that attach to the factory locations - ready to install.......for $2600 plus shipping.

It's subtle at low RPMs, and has NO drone in the cabin whatsoever. Check it out:

New, simple custom exhaust on my E60 M5 - MUCH less expensive than the usual performance exhausts! - YouTube

·
Registered
597 Posts
You could try what a lot of the E90 M3 owners are doing in the UK. That is cut open the rear exhaust cans and wrap either 2 pipes or 4 depending on how loud you want it,then weld back up. Do a search on the M3 Cutters forum for more info.

Simon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts