BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen much talk about SuperSprint, Remus, B&B, or Dinan systems on the msg boards. Next month I want to order an exhaust system for my August delivery M5, and am having a hard time picking one ... anyone with ideas or pro/cons? I'm not shipping her to Europe nor am I mail ordering from there so the *ever popular, but yet to be proven* Kelleners is not a possibilty for me.

------------------
-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
All of the following comes from second- or third-hand feedback.

I believe the Remus exhausts are mild steel, not stainless.

I've heard comments both good and bad about B&B quality/fit, it *looks* good, everyone seems to agree that it's quite loud.

I don't know if Dinan has anything for the M5, I have to take the spousal 540iA back there this week 'cause Peter Pan BMW whacked the Dinan DME code during the last oil-service, so I'll ask.

I'm quite happy to leave mine stock for the first 6-9 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
i have the supersprint exaust on my m.. they look great and sound better.. (lighter than stock by about 50-60 lbs... not much hp gain,, maybe 5 or so, but i love them.. they really finish the look of the car.... not to expensive either...
JEM,
Is there a technical reason to leave the exhaust stock for a certain period of time?
I'm leaning towards the SuperSprint. It looks nice and I haven't heard anything bad about them. They are supposed to be pretty quiet compared to others, but still louder than stock.

Take a look, it has 90mm tips. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/Intake_Exhaust/exhaust_ss_m5.jpg

Here's a link to their quality/feature claims. http://www.supersprintna.com/quality2x.html


[/QUOTE]
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
5,150 Posts
Hi mkf,
do you think you can post pictures or videos of your car with the exhausts on it? Also, are you sure it's 50-60lbs?? must be 5 or 6lbs no? I don't think that even the stock exhaust would weigh that much!
Terence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
have no way of putting the pics on the post. the factory exaust are very heavy,, there are 2 mufflers on each side of the factory exaust opposed to 1 on the supersprint. i might be alittle off on the weight but i know i am close ,, at least 40 to 45 lbs, my guess is a little more.. the supersprint look MUCH better than the factory and the dinan exaust for the z3 roadster i have seen... (dinan will be comming out with a m5 exaust).. best thing about the supersport exaust,,, they are priced at 1160.00 for the set & 250.00 installation.. this is in houston tx.. thx, mkf
Originally posted by tfung:
Hi mkf,
do you think you can post pictures or videos of your car with the exhausts on it? Also, are you sure it's 50-60lbs?? must be 5 or 6lbs no? I don't think that even the stock exhaust would weigh that much!
Terence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
the supersprint exaust weigh 23 lbs each.. i know the factory exaust are considerably more...thx, mkf
Originally posted by mkf:
have no way of putting the pics on the post. the factory exaust are very heavy,, there are 2 mufflers on each side of the factory exaust opposed to 1 on the supersprint. i might be alittle off on the weight but i know i am close ,, at least 40 to 45 lbs, my guess is a little more.. the supersprint look MUCH better than the factory and the dinan exaust for the z3 roadster i have seen... (dinan will be comming out with a m5 exaust).. best thing about the supersport exaust,,, they are priced at 1160.00 for the set & 250.00 installation.. this is in houston tx.. thx, mkf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
one more thing,,, supersprint techs, CLAIM 8% increase in horsepower,,, not sure if its that much....mkf
Originally posted by mkf:
the supersprint exaust weigh 23 lbs each.. i know the factory exaust are considerably more...thx, mkf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Maybe 8hp, but CERTAINLY not 8% (32hp). BMW, and other manufacturers, do a great job of designing performance exhausts. For potential buyers, you are buying sound, not performance (nothing wrong with doing so). And if it makes someone feel better to say that "you can feel it in the seat of your pants" or "it winds up much quicker" then maybe you should work in marketing. Just my opinion, nothing personal. Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
dan,, nothing personal,, i agree,, sounds like they are giving out bad info.. heres the number,, givem a shout.. my hearing might be going... 1-800-648-7278.. thx, mkf
Originally posted by daniel:
Maybe 8hp, but CERTAINLY not 8% (32hp). BMW, and other manufacturers, do a great job of designing performance exhausts. For potential buyers, you are buying sound, not performance (nothing wrong with doing so). And if it makes someone feel better to say that "you can feel it in the seat of your pants" or "it winds up much quicker" then maybe you should work in marketing. Just my opinion, nothing personal. Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mkf,

I know it is hard to articulate how something sounds, but what do you have to say about your M5's SuperSprint exhaust? A little louder, a lot louder, deeper, musclecarlike, refined growl, etc.
Also, how does it resonate inside the car.
Thanks,
-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
at low rpms in it kinda growls or rumbles.. it is very throaty !! people look to see what kinda car is making the rumble.. nothing at all obtrusive inside the car. when you get on it,, the sound is gutsy,, all the way thru the gears, close to redline it is screaming.. more guts and growl than the stock... anyone need the stock exaust,, let me know.. thx, mkf
Originally posted by RaMsEs:
mkf,

I know it is hard to articulate how something sounds, but what do you have to say about your M5's SuperSprint exhaust? A little louder, a lot louder, deeper, musclecarlike, refined growl, etc.
Also, how does it resonate inside the car.
Thanks,
-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I installed the Hamann exhaust. The quality is excellent. The welds and materials are first rate. The sound is a nice deep bass, not to loud however. If you guys like I can post sound clips and pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Does anybody know if AC Schnitzer have an exhaust for the M5 and if so has anybody had one installed. In the UK both AC Schnitzer and Alpina are supplied by BMW dealers so the good thing is that it does not affect the warranty and you would not have to remove it if you sold it to a dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Would you please email me or post sound clips and pictures of your Hamann exhaust? Thanks
Originally posted by Felix:
I installed the Hamann exhaust. The quality is excellent. The welds and materials are first rate. The sound is a nice deep bass, not to loud however. If you guys like I can post sound clips and pictures.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top