BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so my next mod will be exhaust thanks to DAFSTST's awesome video, his RPI GT exhaust sounds outstanding. Here are my questions on which exhaust do I go with:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<o:p></o:p>

1 - O2 sensors -- Are there any issues with the sensors, do they get swapped out, do they throw codes...etc?<o:p></o:p>
2 - Strictly a bolt on job -- Obviously a must, I plan on keeping the OEMs.<o:p></o:p>
3 - Installation -- difficulty level, I can turn a wrench with the best of them but don't want to get over my head.<o:p></o:p>
4 - Warranty -- Has anyone had any issues in regards their warranty with the Stealership? NOTE: My Stealership installed my Dinan Mods which included the Stage 1 ECU flash.<o:p></o:p>
5 - Drone -- Can't have any drone.<o:p></o:p>
6 - Inspection -- Exhaust needs to pass so have to keep the cats.
So far my choices are the following but will entertain any and all recommendations:
1 - Tubi Rumor<o:p></o:p>
2 - RPT GT Exhaust<o:p></o:p>
3 - Eisenmann
4 - AA Exhaust

I have no firsthand experience with any of these exhausts and will probably order whichever is the best choice. With best being the hard part, but I want the beast to have the best so I am shamelessly soliciting for everyone’s expertise.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks for all the great info this board offers, the DIYs I've seen and used have been outstanding.<o:p></o:p>
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:
</SPAN>

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Okay so my next mod will be exhaust thanks to DAFSTST's awesome video, his RPI GT exhaust sounds outstanding. Here are my questions on which exhaust do I go with:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

1 - O2 sensors -- Are there any issues with the sensors, do they get swapped out, do they throw codes...etc?<o:p></o:p>
2 - Strictly a bolt on job -- Obviously a must, I plan on keeping the OEMs.<o:p></o:p>
3 - Installation -- difficulty level, I can turn a wrench with the best of them but don't want to get over my head.<o:p></o:p>
4 - Warranty -- Has anyone had any issues in regards their warranty with the Stealership? NOTE: My Stealership installed my Dinan Mods which included the Stage 1 ECU flash.<o:p></o:p>
5 - Drone -- Can't have any drone.<o:p></o:p>
6 - Inspection -- Exhaust needs to pass so have to keep the cats.
So far my choices are the following but will entertain any and all recommendations:
1 - Tubi Rumor<o:p></o:p>
2 - RPT GT Exhaust<o:p></o:p>
3 - Eisenmann
4 - AA Exhaust

I have no firsthand experience with any of these exhausts and will probably order whichever is the best choice. With best being the hard part, but I want the beast to have the best so I am shamelessly soliciting for everyone’s expertise.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks for all the great info this board offers, the DIYs I've seen and used have been outstanding.<o:p></o:p>
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:
</SPAN>
Go RPI if you are looking for performance and do a full exhaust from the headers back. The only 02 sensor is on the header section so you will not need to worry about that. The dealer will honor all warranty unless it has to do with exhaust obviously. I don't think the install would be hard to do at all if you know how to weld. There are only a few rubber hangers to take out and cut off the exhaust with the saw, and bolt everything together. A lift would be essential I think...but I suppose people have installed it on the ground. Good luck...and pics are a must!
:1:

edit: with regards to inspection we have the same in NC. I always showed them the cats on the headers and that was fine. Our cars have 2 sets of cats, so perfectly legal imo. If one shop denies it, go to the next. I mean there are cats there on the header, no denying that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
go Eisenmann if you dont want to worry about warranty and 02 sensors and want the best sound IMO.

Back in 2006, when the E60 M5 came out, a friend of mine picked up an Eisenmann Race Exhaust (note: at the time I was driving a an 05 330ci). I fell in love with it...everyone who heard it couldn't believe how incredible it sounded. Like an actual F1 car...but I do realize that this motor just makes an incredible sound with any aftermarket exhaust it seems. Go with whatever fits your budget and you whatever you think looks and sounds best.

I'm all for Eisenmann, but I didnt care about the extra hp in this case. The car is a beast regardless and you will never 5-10hp IMO on a 500 hp car

·
Registered
227 Posts
Go RPI. The dealership hade my car for over a week for other issues, and there was no issue with my exhaust system. The sound, look, power gain are amazing with this exhaust. does not sound like an F1 car, but I personally did not want that particular sound.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The best exhaust for these cars is the Kreissieg. Tubi and Eissenman are distant second. Everything else is just a compromise.

A V10 should sound like a V10.

IMHO! go for a Tubi.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
TUBI

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far. Does anyone have any pros or cons on Dinan's exhaust? Anyone know how they sound?

·
Registered
933 Posts
It all depends on what you want your car to sound like.

If you want it to rumble like a V8 RPI, Dinan and others are good choices.

If you wnat it to sound like an F1, you only have 3 choices, Kreissieg, Tubi and Eissenman. And I would rate them in that order.

Personally...I don't see how someone wouldn't want their car to sound like an F1..hahaha. Its THE most intoxicating sound in the world IMO.

That being said...I haven't heard the RPI or Dinan in person....do they really give a V8 rumble? If so..I would obviously avoid it simply because I wouldn't want my gas guzzling V10 to sound like a....little V8 hihahihahiha. Just kidding.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the RPI GTS exhaust system and it sound nothing like a V8. It's grumble of a V10.

Reactions: SpinoThalamic

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Unless you really want it to sound like something from GM, get the best, Tubi. Disclaimer: Tubi is only for the most discriminating motorsport enthusiasts. Lesser systems, such as some of the others mentioned are just fine for everyone else.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay all, thanks for the inputs. Recommendations so far are as follows: RPI - 4, Tubi - 4, Eisenmann - 1, I've did some research and searching for prices and came up with the following. The RPI system sounds great, however Virginia has an annual state inspection and I couldn't see myself swaping exhaust back and forth every year to pass inspection due to RPI being catless. This left me with either Eisenmann or Tubi, almost went with the Eisenman due to a member selling a slightly used exhaust but he was too firm on the price so I moved on. Although the Tubi's were just a little more expensive then the other systems their sound is awesome and the recommendations have been as well. As I stated in my OP I only want the best for the beast so the Tubi's were my decision. They should hopefully arrive tomorrow for a Friday evening install. Will post some video for "sound check" after installation is complete. Thanks again everyone for weighing in on your recommendations.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Okay all, thanks for the inputs. Recommendations so far are as follows: RPI - 4, Tubi - 4, Eisenmann - 1, I've did some research and searching for prices and came up with the following. The RPI system sounds great, however Virginia has an annual state inspection and I couldn't see myself swaping exhaust back and forth every year to pass inspection due to RPI being catless. This left me with either Eisenmann or Tubi, almost went with the Eisenman due to a member selling a slightly used exhaust but he was too firm on the price so I moved on. Although the Tubi's were just a little more expensive then the other systems their sound is awesome and the recommendations have been as well. As I stated in my OP I only want the best for the beast so the Tubi's were my decision. They should hopefully arrive tomorrow for a Friday evening install. Will post some video for "sound check" after installation is complete. Thanks again everyone for weighing in on your recommendations.
Nice wooohoooo , welcome to Tubi club :happybirt:happybirt:happybirt Tubi is the best
i'll send in invitation to the club now . congrats

Reactions: RandysV10

·
Registered
933 Posts
congrats man. I'm sure you wont regret it....do you mind if i ask how much the Tubi cost you? Is it just the axle back piece, like the Eisenmann?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
congrats man. I'm sure you wont regret it....do you mind if i ask how much the Tubi cost you? Is it just the axle back piece, like the Eisenmann?
PM sent.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Highest congratulations on your choices! You will never regret it. Welcome to the Tubi Club. Abdullah (Kamikaze) is our Sergeant-at-Arms, and Dan Whatheheck is our club President. Ajax is the club jester.

Reactions: RandysV10

·
Registered
279 Posts
Extremely interested in how much the in-cabin noise increases and whether there is drone/resonance at any RPM... this was a huge flaw with my aftermarket exhaust on my autoX car.

Love the sound of the Tubi, but I don't want my better looking passenger to suffer :)

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Unless you really want it to sound like something from GM, get the best, Tubi. Disclaimer: Tubi is only for the most discriminating motorsport enthusiasts. Lesser systems, such as some of the others mentioned are just fine for everyone else.

Since when, my friend David, a set of mufflers ( no matter how good they sound ) , are considered an exhaust ???

Good sounding mufflers are NOT for the discriminating motorsport enthusiasts, but for people who want to be looked at when

passing by or, when crossing a tunnel and downshift.

Fair enough for me and I respect it.

Certainly this criteria does not make a good exhaust. It is a good SOUNDING exhaust, but not a good exhaust mechanically, meaning

more power and more torque.

Just my 0.02

George

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

I'd like to point that you seem to have compared the RPi full headers-back exhaust (Sections 1, 2, and 3) with the Eisenmann and Tubi mufflers (which are only section 3). RPi does offer more than one option. They offer the full exhaust system (for about $3k), which might not pass inspection. They also offer a muffler system (section 3) for about $1600, and it's been proven to give some performance gain by a few members.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts