BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know the usual exhaust mods.. headers, straight pipes, Y-pipe etc etc

But, has anybody ever done headers and exhaust, WITHOUT doing an H-pipe or Y-pipe?
So, leaving the two banks' exhausts separate from each other.

How would this affect performance?
I'm wondering if this will make that "burbly" V8 noise that you get from a 645Ci or SLK55 AMG etc

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hey guys,

I know the usual exhaust mods.. headers, straight pipes, Y-pipe etc etc

But, has anybody ever done headers and exhaust, WITHOUT doing an H-pipe or Y-pipe?
So, leaving the two banks' exhausts separate from each other.

How would this affect performance?
I'm wondering if this will make that "burbly" V8 noise that you get from a 645Ci or SLK55 AMG etc
I have headers and exhaust, and retained the stock H-pipe. When I went with muffler deletes (stock resonator), and muffler delete with resonator delete, I had a more aggressive/raw burbly sound than an SLK55 AMG has.

Our cars do not have Y-pipes. Stock, we have H-pipe which many swap for an X-pipe.

Performance figures lost/gained in changing between X-pipe, H-pipe, or none, is insignificant.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sure people have done that (probably not on an M5 though). You will lose power because there will be no scavanging effect of the crossover exhaust pulses that you get with a connecting pipe.

If you want a deeper sound go with an Hpipe. Higher pitched/louder go with Xpipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts