BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a ton of threads regarding the exhaust systems that everyone uses. After much searching, I see that the popular components are the Magnaflow Muffler and X-Pipe (SS or MF). I am talking strictly about the parts AFTER the cats.

If my research is right, you got the cats,the pipe, the resonators, and then the mufflers.

From what I gather, there are only so many permutations with these components but here are the popular ones:

1. Cat - H Pipe - Resonator - Muffler (aka STOCK)
2. Cat - H Pipe - Resonator - Magnaflow
3. Cat - H Pipe - No Resonator - Magnaflow
4. Cat - X Pipe - Resonator - Magnaflow
5. Cat - X Pipe - No Resonator - Magnaflow
6. Cat - Straight Pipe - Resonator - Magnaflow
7. Cat - Straight Pipe - No resonator - Magnaflow

Because a dead horse has no feelings, lets beat em' again :applause: If #1 is 1 in terms of sound and 1 in terms of raspiness, where do the other options lie in terms of both loudness and raspiness which are 2 separate items and 10 being really loud and 10 being really metalic raspy?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just got done looking at the various options since my Triflow is corroded, I decided on the SS cans and X pipe, they have a good medium throaty groul, what I expect out of a V8.

Saying that, if I really wanted to spend $3500 on an exhaust, the best note I have heard comes out of the Tubi Rumore. Absolutely awesome.

Now that I just posted that I want to rethink my decision. @#$%$#.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Raspiness has more to do with the type of muffler than it does with the lack of resonator. I do believe the #7 you posted would yield both the loudest sound and most rasp. I really haven't seen feedback from anyone about raspiness until more people went with Magnaflows.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
+1 #8 has that raspy boat sound, but that doesn't have the Magnaflow.
So #7 would be the answer with Magnaflows.

I thought Dinan mufflers were the popular.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Now that I think about it, a member posted on youtube a video of his car with full straight pipes from the cats back with no muffler, and there was no rasp at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm biased but...I'm still enjoying #5 w/ Britalman Cans....especially because the Britalman comes with a X Pipe....

I don't know if anybody has posted pics of the updated Britalman Design but that is what I have....Welding is a lot neater and the exhaust pipes are machined and not seam welded...also the Britalman B was relocated from the top of the exh tips to the side so when your walking up to the car you can see it....

Much improved over the original design...oh and they powder coated the inside of the tips black...a nice touch if you ask me...

Edit: I'll put some pictures up of my setup when I get home....but in terms of how loud it is i would say its about 8.5 of 10...The sound is a no drone snarly V8 burble at low RPMs but transforms into a screaming deep V8 Roar....very meaty....Highway driving is also not intrusive....going around town in 2nd - 3rd is like a Bass solo...i love it...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
This pic is curteousy of Mr Bock and it shows the exhaust system from cats back. You can see the stock H pipe and resonator are essentially one in the same. So I think #4 is not possible if you're referring to the stock resonator. Most x-pipes would replace the resonator.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This has been posted before, but the H-pipe is further up on the exhaust, it's not part of the resonator.

I don't think anyone has actually confirmed 100% the resonator is not an H-pipe, but it would seem pretty stupid to have 2 H-pipes on an exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The H-pipe is located above the exhaust mount, here are a couple of H-pipe pics I found:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
The H-pipe is located above the exhaust mount, here are a couple of H-pipe pics I found:
It's funny how your picture for reference is the answer to almost every straigth pipe/x pipe/exhaust thread :thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
This pic is curteousy of Mr Bock and it shows the exhaust system from cats back. You can see the stock H pipe and resonator are essentially one in the same. So I think #4 is not possible if you're referring to the stock resonator. Most x-pipes would replace the resonator.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing this with my extracted 'intestine' from my 03' but I figured no good fruit would grow on this if I put in my yard! So insted, I put this in my basement where it will lay dormant like a vampire until I can actually do something with the resonator and the cans!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I was just about to photoshop Jesus hanging from the exhaust system above, but decided against this blasphemy....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Looks like something designed for a Panzer Tank! How Teutonic :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts