BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound stupid but bear with me. I currently live in the provincial epicenter of overzealous traffic cops pulling M cars (stock ones even) off the road for loud exhausts. They use a flawed roadside Db test to ensure pretty much everyone fails. Any car even lightly sporty looking is a target.

I'm trying to find a balance of not being targeted but still being louder than stock when I'm outside of the city. Unfortunately covid hit me hard and a proper electronic cutout is not in the budget.

As an experiment, I left both mufflers on for appearance but made a cutout on one side. Turns out, the sound was perfect. Quiet when light on the throttle but loud when opened up. Infact I'd say it sounds even better than a full muffler delete. Adds some extra low rumble.

Is this going to create any issues?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Maybe a slight power or torque loss/gain but otherwise I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Unless if the one sided cutout messes eith exhaust flow to the point that the engine has a more difficult time expelling exhaust gases, but I’m not expert in that, just a guess at probably the only possible issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts