·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before & after of my tail pipes.

CIMG1232.JPG

CIMG1239.JPG

Pretty filthy & well baked on muck. :eek:oohhh:

Didn't shift much with cloth and metal polish cream (Autoglym).
Ended up using fine wire wool (0000) grade.

Had read some cautionary threads re: wire wool scratching the tail pipes.

Mine were in poor condition, so I wasn't too worried and am pleased with the results. :cool:

Will try and spend a few minutes on these each time I clean the beast and hopefully they keep improving.

If yours scratch badly, there's a mod. in there somewhere!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I was immensely dissapointed when they got just as dirty after a single drive in the rain :(

Nice work, though! Reaching all the way back can be a pain in the pancreas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi M5Fishin,

A TVR owning mate of mine suggested the Meguiar's metal polish for the stainless steel exhausts and autoglym custom wheels for the insides. now mine look like new! They get full of soot pretty quickly tho but at least they gleam like yours ..

·
Registered
864 Posts
I use s.o.s pads to clean my pipes,and the inside of my rims. It doesn't scratch the metal, and gets all the grim off:cheers:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
well done cleaning the pipes. they will be much easier to clean now that all the crap is off.
I would recommend trying to avoid using steel wool or any "wool" pad to start. I have found that using a solution that works on Calcium, Lime and Rust, like CLR works fantastic.

HINT, Always do this in the morning when the pipe are cold.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can someone tell me how to remove black spots on the pipes. Have already tried Autoglym polish and steel pads. Don't seem to make any difference.

Thinking of wet sanding the pipes... :confused:

A poor pic:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
H.I.M From Finland lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I use Eagle One Never Dull wadding on mine.

Here is my M Coupe:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I said it in a prior post #000 steel wool and a stainless cleaner of your choice. I had a detailing business when I was in college. In fact, we used #000 on the windows inside and out unless they are "plastic coated windows or mirrors". -Just don't use any pressure, just a circular motion. Spray the glass cleaner, use #000 and wipe. The cleanest windows ever! Anyway, the point is you need not worry about scratching your SS tips with the #000 wool.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Ben,
You must never drive your Mcoupe cause I don't know anyone who has an M car without carbon on the inside edge of their exhaust tips :p

Oh wait, never mind, my comment has been confirmed by your sig :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Did mine yesterday and today a nice thin black coat of carbon. Oh well another thing to add to my ever increasing list of cleaning jobs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wad of tinfoil with Griot's Garage Speed Shine as a lubricant. Removes spots and rust and hasn't scratched yet.

FWIW,
Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts