BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright if some of you could help me that would be great, as i should be picking my 03 M5 up in acouple of days... the first thing i wana do is put cans on it to make the beast sound more livelier... i kinda want something throaty, low tone, but not raspy... ive heard billy boat cans are pretty loud and thoaty, but are they raspy??... i really don't want cans that have that metal tin sound to them... i wana hear what you guys have on your beasts as well as what you like about them and what you don't (sound wise).... please give details and any other comments you feel will help wit my decision... thanks fellas... love the board and appreciate the help..!!:1:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
It depends on your budget. Exhaust choices have been discussed and will continue to do so for a while because there are so many possible combinations. Everyone wants to hear clips or watch videos before taking the plunge, but some are just hard to find.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I've discarded magnaflows + xpipe because of insane drone. Now I'm thinking of magnaflows and replacing the factory resonators with some aftermarket ones and seeing what that does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would recommend going to youtube and listening to some clips. I think that is the best way to try to find the sound that you are looking for. Once you narrow down to a couple systems whose sound you like, you can then search on m5board for people that have posted dyno information to see if it matches your performance expectations.

For me, I didn't want to go with too loud of a system, yet I wanted the sweet F1 high pitched sound at high RPM. I heard a M5 with Dinan mufflers and Evosport headers, and really liked the sound. When I did performance research, I also liked what I read, so that seemed to be a good choice for me. Everyone's taste on exhaust sound is different, so you should do your own research on that. Dinan, Evosport, ASR, Dixis, Supersprint, and Eisenman are good from everything I have read...

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
try searching here you'll see alot of topics about exhaust types and tones...g/l:cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
my eisenmann race with xpipe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kNJ5t_Upc (dont forget to switch to high quality! lol)

please excuse the miss shift. also worth to note that at 30 secs im about 3/4 mile away. couple of my cold start vids on there too, more to come soon.

i love this set-up, quiet enough when cruising, proper V8 roar at WOT.

might be worth checking out the TUBI set-up aswell.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply guys... cost really isn't an issue for me i just don't want that tingy metal sound at WOT or a low drone cruisin... i want something loud but not rediculus... i guess i should start checking out some of the youtube clips...

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
thanks for the reply guys... cost really isn't an issue for me i just don't want that tingy metal sound at WOT or a low drone cruisin... i want something loud but not rediculus... i guess i should start checking out some of the youtube clips...
If you dont want ridiculous then avoid x-pipe. That's usually the overkill element.

Kelleners and Eisenmanns are the first choices that come to mind when price is no object.

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
what exactly is the difference between the 16 and 15 models??
Tip size and shape. The 15s are 3 inch and the 16s are 3.5 inches with a bit of an inner bevel look to them. Do a search here on the board and you'll see the difference.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have never heard it in person, but I think you would probably be happy with a Tubi setup. they have a couple of vids on you tube of it.

agreed on the resonator. leave it on to keep from having a raspy sounding exhaust. i love my x-pipe with magnaflow 16s, but it is raspy when you really put your foot in it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i have never heard it in person, but I think you would probably be happy with a Tubi setup. they have a couple of vids on you tube of it.

agreed on the resonator. leave it on to keep from having a raspy sounding exhaust. i love my x-pipe with magnaflow 16s, but it is raspy when you really put your foot in it.
yea the tubi sounds nice... no raspyness or tingy metal sound.... no drone and not too loud... i think i may consider the tubi... this is confusing!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I love my Tubi Rumore. It has a hearty growl down low, that peaks at about 1500 rpm, which then evolves into an F1 like scream from about 4000 to redline. It is absolutely phenominal! I think of it as the ultimate "Adult" exhaust. (i.e. it doesn't sound like some kid's jacked up Mustang on steroids)

Check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwaRehvvkIY

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love my Tubi Rumore. It has a hearty growl down low, that peaks at about 1500 rpm, which then evolves into an F1 like scream from about 4000 to redline. It is absolutely phenominal! I think of it as the ultimate "Adult" exhaust. (i.e. it doesn't sound like some kid's jacked up Mustang on steroids)

Check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwaRehvvkIY
whered you get your from and how much if you don't mind me asking...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts