BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has failed MOT because the rear silencer is knackered. I have been quoted £677 for this from BMW, which I think is ridiculous, does anyone have any money-saving ideas on how I can move forward?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
How about getting an aftermarket one? Better sounds & looks for (possibly) less money.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Im going for an Eisenmann too. When my car was MOT'd last year they found a crack in the exhaust, so it will definitely fail this year unless I replace it :crying:

It might be worth trying to ship one from the US given the current favourable exchange rate. Don't about postage costs though ouich

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Bryn said:
Im going for an Eisenmann too. When my car was MOT'd last year they found a crack in the exhaust, so it will definitely fail this year unless I replace it :crying:

It might be worth trying to ship one from the US given the current favourable exchange rate. Don't about postage costs though ouich

Cheers,
Bryn.
I'm sick of buying from the States, due to the customs charges incurred. I used to spend quite a lot of money online, buying all sorts of items, including magazines, CD/DVD's, computer equipment etc etc but recently I have been getting higher and higher customs charges, so now I will only buy from "over the pond" if I have absolutely no other option.

What I have also found, is that the customs charges are sometimes based on not only the value of the item, but also the shipping cost too.

Having said all that, if I have my car long enough to require a new exhaust, I doubt I'll go for a standard BMW item, I may opt to have a custom system made.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Scanlix said:
I have been quoted £677 for this from BMW
I was quoted £1099 for a back box recently, thats some difference :crying:

Scorpion do a system from the cat back for £758ish but I've heard some bad reports about resonance through the car. I'd love the Eisenman exhaust but as Plisken says I begrudge the extortionate customs charges ouich

·
Registered
757 Posts
Johnnym5 said:
I was quoted £1099 for a back box recently, thats some difference :crying:

Scorpion do a system from the cat back for £758ish but I've heard some bad reports about resonance through the car. I'd love the Eisenman exhaust but as Plisken says I begrudge the extortionate customs charges ouich
Perhaps one of our friends from the States could send it over "as a gift", if you follow me...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't understand why someone in the UK would buy an exhaust that is made in Germany, shipped to the US, then back over the pond to the UK? Why not just buy an Eisenmann direct from Germany to the UK? :confused2

·
Registered
757 Posts
mblaster said:
I don't understand why someone in the UK would buy an exhaust that is made in Germany, shipped to the US, then back over the pond to the UK? Why not just buy an Eisenmann direct from Germany to the UK? :confused2

Don't think you can... :grrrr:

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can, but the euro exchange rate is poor, and the USD one good at the moment. I suspect the shipping would kill any savings though...

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Supersprint system fitted to my 525 Sport and can highly recommend them, its not overly loud but does make a nice growl when you put your foot down (sounds very similar to the noise my M5 made) http://www.supersprint.com/a_prodotti.asp?modello=bmwE3414

If you are looking to purchase the above in the UK i have used Motorsportworld many times and have received excellent service from them.

Miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts