BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2003 M5 last week, and it came with this super low and loud cat-back exhaust.
I've probably set off about 12 car alarms so far.
I'm looking to change it out to a less... attention grabbing exhaust.
One that probably gets noticeably loud at 2500-3000RPM (or maybe even at 4000RPM) and roars at 5500-6000RPM.
I'm not trying to spend a bucket load of money on this unless there's truly a substantial difference for an extra $1000.
I've been looking at Eisenmann and quite like the sound, but it's about $2500.

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Richard

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Lots of members have recently taken advantage of simply having a muffler delete done. There is TONS of information about this all over the board and a search will yield the results you seek.

Here's a great thread to highlight this mod:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/165564-official-straight-pipe-muffler-delete-fact-thread.html

Very cost effective as well. Muffler tips can be had for as little as $100 to $300 both sides, plus $70-140 per side for installation at any competent muffler shop. As I suggested, take a look at that thread.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'm trying to buy a different exhaust, because the one I have right now is too loud.
Some manufacturers that I can think of that have very nice sounding exhausts is Dinan, Supersprint, and Tubi. As you mentioned, Eisenmann is a nice system if funds are available.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
CAT back so you could be running with no resonators :hihi:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just got my muffler delete done this weekend(I'll post pics later) and I have to say - do it. Totally benign if you're not on the gas, you can't really hear it. No drone, etc. But when you get on the gas..oh lordie. Amazing. Wish I would have done this earlier. Tips(nice, rolled tips, stainless steel) were $70 from ebay, labor $200. Get it done, you won't regret it one bit...

Reactions: palemud

·
Registered
595 Posts
Saw Leezamonkeys car at the weekend with H&S boxes......sounds bloody great!!!

Reactions: Leezamonkey

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Listen to a car with straight pipes and then listen to one with it done the other way around...... x/h pipe with high quality rear replacement mufflers.

Then you will which one sounds nicer.

H&S/Muffler delete is very popular here and I have had many customers who have heard our system against theirs and converted over.

One thing about muffler delete's and H&S, you cannot use an X Pipe otherwise it gets very very loud!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
seriously consider the CORSA man, and try to hear one in person. the video clips dont do them justice, the sound fantastic. also the ONLY aftermarket muffler i've yet to come across that has zero drone.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'd recommend the eisenmann exhaust as you are interested in one. I have the race set up and love it. Every time I start the car it brings a big smile to my face. If you are concerned it is going to be too loud, you can install it without the x pipe initially. I did that, but wanted it louder and added the x pipe.

Drone is not an issue with it. I have clients in the car quite a bit as well as my family and two young kids. The wife would certainly let me know if it was too loud or intrusive inside of the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Listen to a car with straight pipes and then listen to one with it done the other way around...... x/h pipe with high quality rear replacement mufflers.

Then you will which one sounds nicer.

H&S/Muffler delete is very popular here and I have had many customers who have heard our system against theirs and converted over.

One thing about muffler delete's and H&S, you cannot use an X Pipe otherwise it gets very very loud!
Interesting, thanks - how much is your replacement rear muffler? Do you have pics up - can't see any (larger size/underside of the car with it fitted) on your site?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
H&S is exactly the same as a rear muffler delete.
I'll disagree with that. While they may sound very similar, they're far from exactly the same. I've gotten together with a guy who had muffler delete on his M5 and he mentioned that the H&S sounded "throatier" than his muffler delete setup. I then listened to his car and, while it sounded awesome, there was a noticeable difference as he went through the RPM range.

I also know how the H&S are constructed, which is extremely close to just being a straight pipe, but the resulting acoustics are simply different (at least in this case).

·
3,068 Posts
I'll disagree with that. While they may sound very similar, they're far from exactly the same. I've gotten together with a guy who had muffler delete on his M5 and he mentioned that the H&S sounded "throatier" than his muffler delete setup. I then listened to his car and, while it sounded awesome, there was a noticeable difference as he went through the RPM range.

I also know how the H&S are constructed, which is extremely close to just being a straight pipe, but the resulting acoustics are simply different (at least in this case).
The Y Pipe inside is in a different place and because the straight pipes are covered with casing it will have an effect on acoustics.

My point is that it's not a muffler at all.

·
3,068 Posts
Interesting, thanks - how much is your replacement rear muffler? Do you have pics up - can't see any (larger size/underside of the car with it fitted) on your site?
We have two versions.

GT and RS (Louder)

Both now come with 80mm tail pipes.

Rear section of muffler is painted black so very invisible from the rear.

Images of car fitted with GT with 80mm slash cut:

Prices range from £900-£1100 depending on tail pipe design.

Minimal drone from our systems.

Can PM sound clips to you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts