BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mpg has gone down to just over 16mpg (slow commuting speeds)! Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Pre Dinan S2 package @ 80mph average: 21mpg
With the S2 package at 80mph average: 17mpg
I guess the larger throttle bodies and heavier foot may explain the drop in mpg.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Gus said:
My mpg has gone down to just over 16mpg (slow commuting speeds)! Anyone else had this problem?
Seriously, you should be happy with a stock M5 in stop/go traffic getting 16 mpg.

In my S2, I average about 13.7 mpg in a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gus said:
My average after 6500 miles is 11.3 mpg.........I don't lift often.
With a little work I'm hopping for 10 mpg

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Gus said:
If the weather hasn't changed and your commute and driving style remains constant, then check the O2 sensors. Bad sensors typically will cause the car to run rich.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Gus said:
wouldn't I get SES if this were happening?
In theory, it should throw a code. However, when my O2 sensor went out, it seems it was bad for a while before the SES light went off. So don't rely on the SES light. The dealer can read the codes for you.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gus said:
I used to get 18-19.. :(
To me, that's amazing, especialy if that's mostly city driving. My overall average is about 15.0 mpg; on a tank with lots of freeway miles, I can get close to 18-19 mpg.

Wilkie

·
Registered
797 Posts
gsfent said:
In theory, it should throw a code. However, when my O2 sensor went out, it seems it was bad for a while before the SES light went off. So don't rely on the SES light. The dealer can read the codes for you.
Regards,
Jerry
As Jerry points out, your car can throw codes well in advance of an SES light. I believe that for most faults, other than things like misfires, the EMS will store codes and only if a particular code happens several times within a fixed period of time will it throw an SES light related to the fault.

Get yourself a code reader (like a Peake reader). It will show you any and all stored codes in the computer.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Wilkie said:
To me, that's amazing, especialy if that's mostly city driving. My overall average is about 15.0 mpg; on a tank with lots of freeway miles, I can get close to 18-19 mpg.

Wilkie
Over the last 15k miles or so, my avg is 16.8 and average speed is 34.4mph.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gus said:
I have averaged 16.2 in the year I've had the in an 03 M5 w/S2. Having a heavy right foot makes a big difference tank to tank. I have a friend that has had a stock 02 M5 for a month and his average is 15.1. Of course his car is always spotless and still has much more brake dust on the wheels evertime I have run into him.........

·
Registered
530 Posts
Pure highway, 80MPH max, no real punching it I can get 21 MPG.

Around town, from 14 to 16. A mix of standard and some minor spirited driving.

Pushing it hard.......cherrsagai ....my car needs a 12 step program.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts