BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh jeez, someone tell me how you could miss this? Messed up brake wear

I asked the dealer TWICE to check my front brakes for screeching at moderate stops. They told me twice everything was fine and it was dust.

Well check this out. Passenger side outter pad. That just isn't right. The lower portion of the pad is rubbing the stinking caliper and look at the angle of wear.

EDIT- Looked at the inner pad again, the bottom also appears to be rubbing and the top is worn a lot more.

I measured with a tape measure (all I got) and this rotor looks to be 1.25" exaclty which is 31.75mm. According to an old post by Dave Z, rotors start at 32mm thickness. With 44k miles (I believe this are original) is .25mm wear appropriate? Or is it more likely my measurement method just isn't exact enough

At what thickness is it OK to turn the rotors. With the pads rubbing like this, I'd assume I want these turned or replaced. I'm going to make the dealer show me the thickness of the rotors and I want to know what BMW spec says to replace or OK to turn.

As for the calipers, do they rebuild or replace? Should I push for replacement if they say they will rebuild them?

And while I was in there, I noticed this. Is the dust boot on the shock supposed to be separate from the base? Do I need to make them fix this as well?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Re: Oh jeez, someone tell me how you could miss this? Messed up brake wear

That brake-pad looks really strange... does your car pull to the left when you brake hard?

David

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

DavidS said:
That brake-pad looks really strange... does your car pull to the left when you brake hard?

David
Never noticed. Maybe the driver side is worn in the opposite way as this side? I didn't have time to pull the wheel off to look. The inside pad is hard to see, but from what I can see, it seems to be worn down a lot as compared to the outter pad. But I may just not be seeing it all. I'm calling the dealer Mon morning to complain big time about this. I don't know how you could pull off the wheel and not see this, unless you were blind.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

Problem is not that it is worn, the problem is that it is worn skewed.
Something is definitely wrong.

How about taking it to another dealer, or a well reputed independent workshop?

Also, have a chat with Dave Zeckhausen. He will know what to do.

David

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

DavidS said:
Problem is not that it is worn, the problem is that it is worn skewed.
Something is definitely wrong.

How about taking it to another dealer, or a well reputed independent workshop?

Also, have a chat with Dave Zeckhausen. He will know what to do.

David
There is no other dealer close, and I'm under warranty, so I'm not paying out of my own pocket. I'm just going to tell them I brand new rotors, pads, and calipers. I should probably tell them to bleed an refill the system too.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts

HDClown said:
There is no other dealer close, and I'm under warranty, so I'm not paying out of my own pocket. I'm just going to tell them I brand new rotors, pads, and calipers. I should probably tell them to bleed an refill the system too.
Make sure the pistons are moving freely. If they are sticking on one side, or not fully retracting on one side, you would get that time of wear. A little uneven wear is not that unusual, but the pads looka littke extreme.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

The rotors are probably just fine. I'd have to agree the problem is with the calipers or pistons. I've never seen a healthy brake system wear pads that way. (My level of experience: I've changed pads on about 10 different cars, probably 30 or 40 times total. I'm no DaveZ.)

Ask to speak to the Service Manager the next time you go in. Show him (or her) the pictures. Ask if that is considered "Normal" wear. The asn if BMW of North America would agree.

Maybe you wore them out trying to drive it like NASCAR... sorry, couldn't resist a little humor.
:wroom:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Yeh, that brake wear doesn't look good.

Good luck getting it covered. I had a squeal from the rear when I got my car. Didn't notice it until about 2,000 miles after I got the car back from Fla. (when the windows went down). Turns out the emeregency drum brake was metal on metal and it also warped the rotors. My local dealer tried to work it out with the Fla. dealer and no one would step up and pay. I opened a claim with BMW NA and they wouldn't pay. I was pissed, but too lazy to sue. $950 out of pocket for new pads and rotors on a CPO car. Needless to say I didn't have good things to say about the Fla. dealer and reported them to the BBB. I don't visit that local dealer anymore either.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have extended maintenace until 4yr/50k (which I'll extend to 6yr/100k before it ends in Nov) so I have no worry about this being covered.

I had the same issues with the emergency brake BTW, but it didn't mess up the rotor, it was just rubbing and needed to be replaced.

boostmiser said:
Yeh, that brake wear doesn't look good.

Good luck getting it covered. I had a squeal from the rear when I got my car. Didn't notice it until about 2,000 miles after I got the car back from Fla. (when the windows went down). Turns out the emeregency drum brake was metal on metal and it also warped the rotors. My local dealer tried to work it out with the Fla. dealer and no one would step up and pay. I opened a claim with BMW NA and they wouldn't pay. I was pissed, but too lazy to sue. $950 out of pocket for new pads and rotors on a CPO car. Needless to say I didn't have good things to say about the Fla. dealer and reported them to the BBB. I don't visit that local dealer anymore either.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Cool, you are all set then. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts