BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was hoping to quiz some you you more knowledgeable chaps on here about VANOS.

We all know that it was March 2000 when BMW changed the VANOS/Piston Ring design, but does anyone know the exact date?

For example, my car is a week 13 build in 2000. This puts it as a March build car but I'm not sure if it has the early or late design.

Does anyone know? Thanking you all in advance... :cheers:

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Don't know the exact date, but are we sure about the vanos design change? I think it may have been earlier. (Also... still looking for specifics of what exactly was changed on the vanos!)

Dave

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
look at your vanos nuits if they have 5 allen head bolts on the front you have the new style vanos

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
my 2000 has 5 bolts :7:

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
look at your vanos nuits if they have 5 allen head bolts on the front you have the new style vanos
That much I know about... but what is the deal with the extra bolts and why the redesign?

My vanos is the new style, but my car's build date is 11/99. I confirmed with the original owner that he did not have any vanos swaps or issues (I'm the second owner).

Dave

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
iirc it was sometime in Feb. 2000. That was a deciding factor when I purchased my car with a 4/00 build date.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Wonder why my 11/99 build has the 'later' vanos? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
If you bought it used, it could be that it was changed before you bought it.
Nope. The I'm the 2nd owner and the 1st owner confirmed that he did not have any vanos issues or swaps (I asked him last week following a similar discussion in another thread)

:dunno:

D

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 02/2000 and have the new VANOS on both sides. However, I am not the 1st owner and I am not sure if they have been replaced..

For whatever that is worth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well at least I now have something to go and look for! From whats been said here, my car being an 03/2000 will have the later design. Which is good to know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts