BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 years driving in Germany I realized the importance of three things good brakes, good tires and good lighting. Projection hids can really make a huge difference, I had them in my e21 and e30 and back then the M5 was the example to follow.

I upgraded the bulbs and ballasts on the M5 to 50w ballasts and 6000k bulbs but they were too blue for my liking. I ordered a set of 5000k bulbs and they were very white but still did not what I wanted. A few months later one started to yellow and it drove me nuts, swapped out the bulbs, then ballasts but the same side was still yellow. I talked to TRS and they told me that the EvoX-R was a direct bolt in projector and was bi-xenon too (that means that it would also become the high beam).

When I got the lights apart I found that the chrome coating on the rear of the projector had flaked off and was causing my yellow/dim light. I unscrewed the 4 screws that held the projector to the housing and bolted the new ones right on. I reassembled the housings put back in the car and aimed the lights, the out put was perfect. I still need to order different boots for the rear of the housing to keep the condensation out but that was the only difference from the stock projectors.

I have posted a photo of stock lighting vs my upgraded lighting, seriously the difference is night and day!

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
I like this idea... I have to fix my adjusters first but I feel like my light output is down a bit.

You mind if I ask where you picked up the bulbs/ballast/projectors?

Also, was it virtually plug and play diy?

·
Registered
805 Posts
i spy James.

so these are a bolt in, for factory facelift headlights? Provided that they are able to be baked open?

great improvement, that cutoff sure is sharp.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
OOoh..subscribed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just picked up some facelift headlights and will most likely be installing these as well, glad to see you liked the results!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the parts from The Retrofit Source (TRS).

If you can bake your lights open they are a direct bolt in application. If you are doing adjusters this is the perfect time because the adjusters need to be completely removed.

The only thing I have not corrected yet is the boot on the rear of the housing, I will take picture and post later.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks! I have them in my cart just have not ordered them yet.
Trimming down the stock boot is the way to go IMHO. The aftermarket boots do not hold up well to heat and they will tear over time.

if you take a razor blade and cutoff the majority of the inner and outer lip you can reuse the stock boot and its perfect.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Trimming down the stock boot is the way to go IMHO. The aftermarket boots do not hold up well to heat and they will tear over time.

if you take a razor blade and cutoff the majority of the inner and outer lip you can reuse the stock boot and its perfect.
Oh, good to know! I may have to do that when I get around to mine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oh, good to know! I may have to do that when I get around to mine.

Yup. not worth taking the risk for water entering the light. My stock boots look great for 15 year old pieces of rubber. I have used this method on all the conversions we have done on the E39's and its the best way at it.

If you guys have any questions let me know.

Nice job OP!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ok thanks. I tried that on an old boot and cut too much off and messed it up. I will take another look and try do it without messing it up.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Superb! I have a feeling my 530 will get this upgrade before the M5, if anyone knows about the halogens on the E39 530i, you won't blame me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts