BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up car yesterday with Evosport Section 1 race cats installed. Vids will follow after cats are fully broken in as will post dyno. Initially I noticed that the car sounded more raspier maybe slightly louder but if anything just a little raspier or to put it another way it growls more.:hihi:

If you have ever heard a Ferrari F430 it is raspier like that. Still lower sounding but closer to the Ferrari raspiness! I totally and completely love it.lovelove

The throttle response feels better as well as it seems more free throughout the rev band. Seems quicker. The dyno will tell for sure. In the meantime the butt dyno says 2 thumbs up.:applause:

Below are some pics of the stock section 1 and the Evosport Section 1 high-flow cats.

stock cats.jpg

sect-1-evo.JPG

m6 evo sect1.JPG

m6 evo2 sec1.JPG

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to the dynos.

What ever happened to the intro price for the M6? Evosport
mentioned it would be a different offering but they never actually
posted anything. :dunno:

·
Registered
637 Posts
deknight,

Were these ordered as M5 parts? I ordered the ones for the M5 as they said M6 not ready yet. Are they direct fit or was modification needed? I am going to have them installed this weekend. Just curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did you have to weld the new Evosport Section 1 to the stock Section 2? I realize one end (up near the primary cats) is bolt on, but it looks like the other end of the pipes were welded.

Paired with your E-Race mufflers, the sound is not too loud?

Just curious why you went with the Evosport Section 1 as opposed to the Meisterschaft Section 1?

By the way, it looks great!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deknight,

Were these ordered as M5 parts? I ordered the ones for the M5 as they said M6 not ready yet. Are they direct fit or was modification needed? I am going to have them installed this weekend. Just curious.

Thanks
M6 parts as far as I know. Just came in. I could be wrong. They were testing to see if the M5 parts fit the M6 I am not sure if they found out the M5 parts fit or they just finished making a new M6 one.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have to weld the new Evosport Section 1 to the stock Section 2? I realize one end (up near the primary cats) is bolt on, but it looks like the other end of the pipes were welded.

Paired with your E-Race mufflers, the sound is not too loud?

Just curious why you went with the Evosport Section 1 as opposed to the Meisterschaft Section 1?

By the way, it looks great!
Yes they were welded to stock section 2. I did not want the Meisterschaft Section 1 since there is no cat on it. I still want to run cats, just wanted the higher flow of these versus stock secondary cats. Running no cats is too little backpressure plus really get pegged here in Cali they have street side check points were they measure your car when drive by and if no cats you get pegged.

·
Registered
366 Posts
......plus really get pegged here in Cali they have street side check points were they measure your car when drive by and if no cats you get pegged.
I live in NorCal, and I'm not sure what you mean by street side check points where they measure your car? Never seen or heard anything like that. :confused:

I do understand about wanting to have the cats however, and the lack of back pressure without them.

How much louder did your E-Race get by adding the Evosport Section 1? Any reason why you didn't go for Section 2?

Some before and after videos would be great!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in NorCal, and I'm not sure what you mean by street side check points where they measure your car? Never seen or heard anything like that. :confused:

I do understand about wanting to have the cats however, and the lack of back pressure without them.

How much louder did your E-Race get by adding the Evosport Section 1? Any reason why you didn't go for Section 2?

Some before and after videos would be great!
Down here they park on the freeway on ramp in a Ford Explorer point something like an infra red device at you and check for Gross Pollutors. I did not even know this was going on until I saw one this year and asked a friend.

In Los Angeles, alot of gross pollutors around. They probably would not even bother with a brand new car like an M6.

Like I said above, the car sound only slightly louder if at all, but more raspier for sure.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just to clarify. Our Section 1 Hi-Flow Cats or our Cat By-Pass Race Pipe will work on either the M5 or the M6. On the M5 it bolts to the headers on one side and it slip fits (if you choose) to the other side (Section 2). You can also weld it to the Section 2 if you prefer to ensure no exhaust leaks. On the M6, it also bolts to the headers on one side. However, it will not slip fit to Section 2 by default. A muffler shop can make it slip fit but it's much easier to remove a small piece of tubing off the end (since the M5 is a bit longer) and weld it to Section 2.

At this time, we don't yet have a Section 2 for the M6. We're testing to see if a Section 2 would have any value on the M6.

Reactions: deknight

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll let you know after this weekend my opinion about both sections for the M6. As you may recall, I recently ordered both and am having them installed this Saturday by a local exhaust shop. They have all the necessary equipment in case any modifications are needed. Will keep posted and post pics as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Can't wait to get mine...! just placed an order! I'll be waiting for your dyno results Deknight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
deknight,
great info that I'm sure interests many here. I am very curious to see your dyno results. And I'm sure you'll do one of your comparison videos. I love that you do the videos on that same street each time, it makes the comparison much more valid since the acoustic reflections are the same.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
:haha:
Just picked up car yesterday with Evosport Section 1 race cats installed. Vids will follow after cats are fully broken in as will post dyno. Initially I noticed that the car sounded more raspier maybe slightly louder but if anything just a little raspier or to put it another way it growls more.:hihi:

If you have ever heard a Ferrari F430 it is raspier like that. Still lower sounding but closer to the Ferrari raspiness! I totally and completely love it.lovelove

The throttle response feels better as well as it seems more free throughout the rev band. Seems quicker. The dyno will tell for sure. In the meantime the butt dyno says 2 thumbs up.:applause:

Below are some pics of the stock section 1 and the Evosport Section 1 high-flow cats.

View attachment 60338

View attachment 60339

View attachment 60340

View attachment 60341

Maybe it should sounds more like Gallardo's V10 than F430's V8:haha:

·
Registered
587 Posts
:haha:

Maybe it should sounds more like Gallardo's V10 than F430's V8:haha:
I'll take the F-car sound any day over the Gallardo :)

Reactions: gasterus

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check Deknight's signature...!

any news???
Sorry I though i could do the video today but no such luck. I have an appointment Monday to dyno the car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good news! The shop CAN modify the Sec 2 with Resonators to work on the M6. So, Monday I will pick the car up with Evo Headers, Evo Sec 1, Evo Sec 2, and Dinan Mufflers. Will post vids for sound check.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts