BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone familiar w/ the EvoSport Power Pulley Kit?

Back several weeks ago, I had a local Indy replace the serpentine belts. It was their recommendation as they noticed some standard wear on the belts. Given my extended warranty, I gave them the thumbs up.

They installed 7 PK 1629 belts. I've had it in their shop 4 additional times since, as the belts are squeeling/howling upon cold start or after the car sit for an hour or more. it's become a real pain to listen to.....cars sounds like a hoopty.

I've also had my local BMW dealer check it out. They said given the smaller diameter of the pullies vs. OEM pullies, there's NO WAY that OEM belt size 7PK 1629 would fit.

can any1 please confirm? I've spoke w/ a Dale @ EvoSport on 2 occassions, and he emphatically says that both the Audiophile & Power kit use the 7PK 1629 belt.......what gives?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
IIRC, when I bought it, the evosport kit came with a new serpentine belt which I installed with the kit. While I was doing it, I installed a new AC belt as well. The AC belt was the stock size purchased from the dealer, but I assumed that the serpentine belt was different from stock since they supplied it with the kit. But unfortunately I cannot tell you what size it was. Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
kinda OT

For the guys that have installed these themselves are there any special tools required, just bought the kit and haven't taken a look at it yet.

Thanks
Aidan

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You have to remove the fan so you would need a 32mm wrench for that. Rememer: righty loosey, lefty tighty for the fan. Other than that, just the normal metric sockets, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

ECB said:
You have to remove the fan so you would need a 32mm wrench for that. Rememer: righty loosey, lefty tighty for the fan. Other than that, just the normal metric sockets, etc.
Will I need any special tool to remove the belt?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
you do not any special tool other than a dremel or a grinder to grind the tensioners.

removing the alterator pulley can be difficult while the alternator is in the car. i used a deep socket a pair of vice grips and an allen wrench.

with regards to the belt. just take the belt to any autoparts store and compare sizes. get one slightly smaller and install it. very simple fix

ryan

For the guys that have installed these themselves are there any special tools required, just bought the kit and haven't taken a look at it yet.

Thanks
Aidan

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

rneedham1979 said:
you do not any special tool other than a dremel or a grinder to grind the tensioners.

removing the alterator pulley can be difficult while the alternator is in the car. i used a deep socket a pair of vice grips and an allen wrench.

with regards to the belt. just take the belt to any autoparts store and compare sizes. get one slightly smaller and install it. very simple fix

ryan

Thanks
Aidan
Thanks.I will attempt to install them this weekend.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was running the Evosport audiophile power pulley kit and did develop a slight noise from the AC belt - replaced my tensioner and that helped, replaced the belt with the OEM size belt, didn't help - changed from an OEM conntinental belt to a Goodyear gatorback belt in the stock size and that fixed and noise issues - the goodyear belt has a grippier design on the belt - helps prevent squealing - you can buy at Autozone or summit racing online.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I just pulled my EVO power kit off, the belt they provide and the stock e39 m5 belts are the same size.

If anyone is still having a problem you may ned to replace your tensioner..

Don't forget to look at your ac belt as well, mine broke on me one day...

Ryan

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
I just pulled my EVO power kit off, the belt they provide and the stock e39 m5 belts are the same size.

If anyone is still having a problem you may ned to replace your tensioner..

Don't forget to look at your ac belt as well, mine broke on me one day...

Ryan
Just got my kit tonight, and stock sized Conti belt included in the kit.

·
10,459 Posts
i've had the pulley kit for years, and have replaced my belts twice over that period of time (about 80k miles), both times just went to the dealer and got oe belts, no problems.

Reactions: rneedham1979
1 - 14 of 14 Posts