BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First. Let me apologize for yet another header thread. But I had to throw out a special thanks to [email protected] for bending over backwards to source a set of headers for me at the last minute. After a few back and forth e-mails and phone calls, he was able to find a pair.
Also, Brian and George at ICS Performance in Stamford, CT for the install. Think this at least their 3rd M5 install. Dropped off the car on Monday, headers arrived Tuesday, just picked it up today (Wednesday).

Initial impressions: IT'S INSANELY LOUD! Also have Eisenmann Race mufflers, stock 2ndary cats/resonators. Honestly don't know if I feel any performance gain simply b/c I was too busy trying to hear myself think.:haha: The sound is like a mix of F1/American muscle at WOT. Now there's a constant grumble, even at idle/low speeds which I hope I get used to. Honestly don't know if I can keep the setup as is b/c I know I'll get pulled over eventually....

Waiting on Evo Stage II software which Simon tells me will
offer "better throttle response, increase top speed limiter, raise rev limiter, turn off CEL, clean up A/F for headers, etc."

Dyno to follow in the near future after the ECU adapts and I get software. My 'baseline' is 435 (E-race, BMC filters, CF out).

BTW, when does the CEL kick in (no provisions were made for the O2 sensors). About 40 miles on it since the install and nothing yet....

Oh, also, thanks to MCarRacr for giving me ride to the shop. Else I would have had to schlep up to CT on the stinkin' bus.:)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Congrats Bonehead! Did you get a dyno? I too fear the loudness
of things when I get mine installed. I have stock resonator and
cats as well but the Dinan exhaust.

So what's the word on the stage 2 software? When will it be
available?

And what what did they do with your o2? Rewire?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Congrats. If my Evo headers is delay, I will hold you responsible :biggrinbounce:

How you choose to do with rear O2 sensor? rewired after 2nd cat?

Just wonder, what would they do with rear O2 sensor if no 2nd cat in place?

Keep us posted on CEL issue.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats Bonehead! Did you get a dyno? I too fear the loudness
of things when I get mine installed. I have stock resonator and
cats as well but the Dinan exhaust.

So what's the word on the stage 2 software? When will it be
available?

And what what did they do with your o2? Rewire?
No dyno yet. No time. Besides, want to let the ECU adapt.
Like my first post said, software supposed to be available soon (next week or two???)

As far as the 02 sensors, nothing done as far as I know. Didn't extend the wires as originally planned (not sure why). Said the CEL WILL go off eventually. One of the reasons I'll need that software.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats. If my Evo headers is delay, I will hold you responsible :biggrinbounce:

How you choose to do with rear O2 sensor? rewired after 2nd cat?

Just wonder, what would they do with rear O2 sensor if no 2nd cat in place?

Keep us posted on CEL issue.
He showed it to me. Put the sensors right next to each other which is why the CEL will trigger eventually.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You go Girl!! The noise level is the big thing holding me back.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You go Girl!! The noise level is the big thing holding me back.
LOL. The car is actually painfully loud now. But that's what I thought about the E-race when I first got it and was convinced I would get rid of it within a week. I really don't want to get rid of the Race cans, but I'll have to see....

Actually heard another M5 at the shop that had headers and the 'quiet' Meisterschaft. VERY tolerable. Nice rumble with the throttle, but not overbearing. Think you Dinan guys will be in good shape.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
LOL. The car is actually painfully loud now. But that's what I thought about the E-race when I first got it and was convinced I would get rid of it within a week. I really don't want to get rid of the Race cans, but I'll have to see....

Actually heard another M5 at the shop that had headers and the 'quiet' Meisterschaft. VERY tolerable. Nice rumble with the throttle, but not overbearing. Think you Dinan guys will be in good shape.
Yea you could use my Meisterschaft touring exhaust now. I am actually going to bump them up to the meisterschaft GT because I hate being the quietest one on these runs!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wow

Boner dial 1-800-stop-mod.......lol we all have a disease. I'm going to do it soon....:7::7::M5rev: ouich

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Boner,

Congrats. I had the same setup (evo headers and E-race) and tolerated it for about one week. I put the stock mufflers back on and it's a total joy to drive.

The cool thing is it still has a mean growl, it just comes from the front of the car rather than the rear...seriously.

If you can take the loudness longer than I did more power to you! Hopefully your neighbors will be able to as well. Oh, tell me what you think in the morning after a cold start...LOL...it's a very loud cold idle.

Congrats once again!

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dammit Dino. It's your fault that I'm obsessed with loud cars!:biggrin: But I can honestly say mine is finally louder than yours:hihihi:
okay so with my current set-up if I get headers will my car be louder than yours???? lol

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Nice Bone, but I only have one thing to say :blink::

Attachments

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I just don't want the popo pulling me over everyday.
Since you got a new DD, no biggie then.

But here's a funny story.....

Early this year, I installed AWE Muffler and Cat Bypasses in place of Fabspeed Muffler Bypasses on my 993TT.

The Fabspeeds were loud but now my AWEs are insanely loud. I won't have it any other way now.

Was driving downtown when I passed a police officer who was going the opposite way. I noticed in my rearview mirror the police officer making a U-turn and my first thought was no way he's coming for me. Well, he signals me to pull over. As he approaches my window, he asks for my license, which I gave him with my PBA card, and says to me, "Going kinda fast there....." and the obligatory "Who do you know on the job?" I replied, "My cousin XXXXXX from the XXth Pct." and "No officer, I couldn't be driving fast because its impossible since there's so much traffic in front." I pointed ahead and then he gives me a very dumbfounded look and says, "You're pretty loud there just going slow. Almost impossible to believe. You had to be hard on the gas. I heard you with my windows closed." I replied, "I wasn't going fast, it only sounded like it." At that point I stepped on the gas to show him how loud my car was just parked there and he just stood there shaking his head......

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
No dyno yet. No time. Besides, want to let the ECU adapt.
Like my first post said, software supposed to be available soon (next week or two???)

As far as the 02 sensors, nothing done as far as I know. Didn't extend the wires as originally planned (not sure why). Said the CEL WILL go off eventually. One of the reasons I'll need that software.
Thanks for the info. Very interested in hearing more when you get
the software installed.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boner,

Congrats. I had the same setup (evo headers and E-race) and tolerated it for about one week. I put the stock mufflers back on and it's a total joy to drive.

The cool thing is it still has a mean growl, it just comes from the front of the car rather than the rear...seriously.

If you can take the loudness longer than I did more power to you! Hopefully your neighbors will be able to as well. Oh, tell me what you think in the morning after a cold start...LOL...it's a very loud cold idle.

Congrats once again!

Cheers,

Darren
Well, Darren. You weren't kidding:eek:. I park in a multilevel structure so the sound of my E-race alone was pretty brutal in the AM. Set off a few alarms here and there. Think I may be setting off a few more nowouich

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
First. Let me apologize for yet another header thread. But I had to throw out a special thanks to [email protected] for bending over backwards to source a set of headers for me at the last minute. After a few back and forth e-mails and phone calls, he was able to find a pair.
Also, Brian and George at ICS Performance in Stamford, CT for the install. Think this at least their 3rd M5 install. Dropped off the car on Monday, headers arrived Tuesday, just picked it up today (Wednesday).

Initial impressions: IT'S INSANELY LOUD! Also have Eisenmann Race mufflers, stock 2ndary cats/resonators. Honestly don't know if I feel any performance gain simply b/c I was too busy trying to hear myself think.:haha: The sound is like a mix of F1/American muscle at WOT. Now there's a constant grumble, even at idle/low speeds which I hope I get used to. Honestly don't know if I can keep the setup as is b/c I know I'll get pulled over eventually....

Waiting on Evo Stage II software which Simon tells me will
offer "better throttle response, increase top speed limiter, raise rev limiter, turn off CEL, clean up A/F for headers, etc."

Dyno to follow in the near future after the ECU adapts and I get software. My 'baseline' is 435 (E-race, BMC filters, CF out).

BTW, when does the CEL kick in (no provisions were made for the O2 sensors). About 40 miles on it since the install and nothing yet....

Oh, also, thanks to MCarRacr for giving me ride to the shop. Else I would have had to schlep up to CT on the stinkin' bus.:)
What? I can't hear what you are typing! If your text starts getting bigger, your cars too loudand your going deaf :cool:

I need a break from this board, now I have an ich for headers and exhaust, thanks to ///Marshall and yourself ;) Peer presure ouich
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 185 Posts