BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, I have had the EvoSport Headers & “Underdrive Pulley Kit" installed on my Beast…..other than an initial, generic,

:eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:“WOW....W-T-F Is This ??”:eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:

.....I am now just beginning to test drive the performance changes. I thought I would start with the EvoSport “Underdrive Pulley Kit" as the HP gains are no doubt small as compared the HP gained from the header installation. So, on to Step One (The Pulley Kit):

First, there are no problems evident in a “drive” sense. The electric system, the Air-Conditioning compressor, the power-steering…..everything…..works fine. I don’t have a “beyond stock” stereo system, nor will I see temperatures beyond 90-95 degrees. That said, I’m confident that there would not be any problems under operating conditions that go beyond mine.

:applause:

Next, I immediately noticed that the power-steering had both a “lighter” and “more connected” feeling to it. The “lighter” observation was not something I was expecting…..but in comparison to the stock pulley this was a significant change for the better. I didn’t consider the stock steering to be “heavy” or “sluggish”, but I certainly deem it to be so now. ....mostly "heavier". The “more connected” observation was somewhat expected as I had seem a few posts to that affect here on the board. While I understand that this modification was driven in large part for the HP gain, it seems to me that by under-powering the power-steering, the “feel” is closer to the road, and farther away from the driver. In stock mode, turning the wheel felt, at least to me, like I was turning something attached to a wooden post……very little feedback…..some feedback, yes, but not as much as I would like to have. That desire has been met with this mod…..very nice. If there were no HP gains with this mod, I would still install it due to the noticeable improvement in handling.

:grinyes:

In closing, some HP gains must be assumed to be there…..based more on the dyno runs that I have seen posted here on the board than anything. As I installed the headers at the same time as the pulley kit, it is of course impossible to tell where the "POP" (and wow is there a LOT of new POP!) came from.....in a perfect world I would have done a “before” dyno, added the “Pulley Kit”, then done an “after” dyno…..then added the headers, done another dyno, etc......logistics prevented me from doing so.

Questions? Fire away!

:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Tom,

How would you compare the increase in "pop" feeling compared to what you felt when you first drove with diff installed? Of course it is all seat of the pants, but isn't that where we have the most fun. Dynos are great but I want to "feel the power."

Is it all across the rev range? Or do you notice more low, mid high rev?

Thanks for all your info. I must say I was eager to hear how it felt.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom,

How would you compare the increase in "pop" feeling compared to what you felt when you first drove with diff installed? Of course it is all seat of the pants, but isn't that where we have the most fun. Dynos are great but I want to "feel the power."

Is it all across the rev range? Or do you notice more low, mid high rev?

Thanks for all your info. I must say I was eager to hear how it felt.

Comparing the "POP" initially felt with the differential versus the headers, I would have to say that the differential has "more" off the line and up through SMG gears 1 to 3. The headers, at this early stage in my testing, just make the beast stronger across the line.....from dead stop to rolling races......the car is just plain more BEASTLY.

The headers make the car MUCH stronger in all respects.....the differential makes the car quicker off the line and at the "low end".

Again, at this early stage in my testing, they really appear to be two different performance improvements.....one is really targeted (differential), the other is very broad in its focus (headers)

'hope this makes sense........

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ya know, I had the Evo pully installed to a weeks or two ago. I did not dyno the car, however, I noticed a definate seat of the pants power surging through all the gears. This I am certain. BTW, I do not have the Diff installed yet. At first, I thought it was my imagination, but I am convinced of a difinate more sense of power from this beast.

This truely is an awesome machine to drive!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
There is a definate increase that can be felt with the pulley. I have noticed a very small increase in oil temp at constant highway speeds around 3k. Not really sure why and not concerned. I had the 3.91 installed friday and is for sure the best bang for the buck. Everyone should have these two modds!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There is a definate increase that can be felt with the pulley. I have noticed a very small increase in oil temp at constant highway speeds around 3k. Not really sure why and not concerned. I had the 3.91 installed friday and is for sure the best bang for the buck. Everyone should have these two modds!
tjav8b,

Which diff did you get? Dinan or Evosport?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts