BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I've done search and read some posts here but I was curious what is the general consensus which ones are more worth it. Anybody here got Evolve recently? My understanding is that they don't offer 4-2-1 anymore, just the 4-1.
Even though I only have M62, I still believe it'd benefit from either headers. I still can't believe that 3.0L 215HP M60 and 4.9L 394HP share the same headers.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
i had the super sprints on my beast and just put the evolve Medusa headers on i cant explain it but the way she comes alive is sureal

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had the super sprints on my beast and just put the evolve Medusa headers on i cant explain it but the way she comes alive is sureal
Did you get it from Evolve or elsewhere?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ This. I've had SS, Evolve (and now Dinan) headers. The delta between SS and Evolve is amazing; the low-end torque bump comes on a lot sooner, too.
So you're preferring Evolve as well?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I only moved to Dinan headers so I didn't have to ever fight CA C.A.R.B when it's smog time. If it weren't for that, I'd still have the Evolve headers for sure. Definitely worth the money.
I'm aware that gain will be probably be lower on M62 but I'm willing to be sort of guinea pig as I'm yet to here of anybody with Evolve on their 540. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yes. I only moved to Dinan headers so I didn't have to ever fight CA C.A.R.B when it's smog time. If it weren't for that, I'd still have the Evolve headers for sure. Definitely worth the money.
Get the Evolve. I have SS and been smogged with no problems the last three times. The headers are tucked so well, they don't see them. I just got smogged yesterday at a STAR-certified station and had zero issues.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Talk to ALEX at EVOLVE he told me the Evolve headers for the S62 will not fit our 540's hence I went with A1's

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Get the Evolve. I have SS and been smogged with no problems the last three times. The headers are tucked so well, they don't see them. I just got smogged yesterday at a STAR-certified station and had zero issues.

Had them and loved them. Got a good deal on Dinan headers, and Jeff @ Dinan was nice enough to send me an EO sticker, so I never have to deal with smog visual again.

While the chances of getting spotted are certainly low, I just don't have time for that BS...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talk to ALEX at EVOLVE he told me the Evolve headers for the S62 will not fit our 540's hence I went with A1's
That's where I'm confused. S62 and M62 have identical headers (not yours M62TU). The rest is different of course, but the initial connection to downpipes is same diameter and clamp has the same part#. That's why Supersprint headers are direct fit to my car.
RealOEM.com Â* BMW E39 540i CATALYTIC CONVERTER/FRONT SILENCER
M5
RealOEM.com Â* BMW E39 540i CATALYTIC CONVERTER/FRONT SILENCER
#3 in 540 link and and #15 in M5 link are the same part#.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In this day of age I'd go with what is easiest on my wallet..... A gain of 5-7hp which is questionable how can you loose buying a set of A1's ??? Your still gonna get GREAT gains and not burn the bank account with plenty left For other mods :)

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
^ This. I've had SS, Evolve (and now Dinan) headers. The delta between SS and Evolve is amazing; the low-end torque bump comes on a lot sooner, too.
Whats your take on Evolve Vs DINAN headers?
I know they sound very different.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok this is the first time I'm hearing this ..what type of modifications??

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Whats your take on Evolve Vs DINAN headers?

I know they sound very different.

They do sound quite different, true. The Dinan's have a deeper note compared to the Evolve headers. I actually preferred the Evolve sound, more aggressive w/o being obnoxious. Evolve headers + Dinan cans w/ SS x-pipe though was too much though, and really raspy. Cut some MagnaFlow resonators into the x-pipe and it was perfect...

As mentioned earlier, the Dinan headers have a bit more low/mid torque, and the Evolve have a bit more top end; it's basically a wash though in overall power/tq increase.

Evolve wins on price for sure, even against used Dinan headers, and ease of acquisition. Dinan wins on CA smog legality.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our headers will work on a 540, just need some custom fabrication after the headers. That is all I was saying :)
Which one do you currently offer, 4-1 or 4-2-1 and I still don't understand what custom fabrication since Supersprint is direct fit. Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
In this day of age I'd go with what is easiest on my wallet..... A gain of 5-7hp which is questionable how can you loose buying a set of A1's ??? Your still gonna get GREAT gains and not burn the bank account with plenty left For other mods :)
I hope I'm wrong in your case but on this board I was reading about very unpleasant experience with A1. We shouldn't judge A1 by one bad experience but it's enough to lead me to only 2 choices: Evolve and Supersprint. I have the lift and I'll be doing it by myself, but I still don't want to install them twice.
While there is never 100% guarantee due to the nature of headers, high tepms and stress involved, I just couldn't find any complaints against these 2 compared to A1. I'm trying to stay within $2500 (by some miracle) which is almost double than A1, but you get what you pay for.
Again, I hope that in your case A1 lasts a long time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I fully understand but that one case brought up on this forum was of one bad experience ,,, the welds on these headers are very very good and brought and shown to multiple professionals. The design is proven and you can use my dyno's as proof. Even if I had to do this twice it only cost me 1200 for the headers and 500 to install you still can't beat that :) these headers are also jet coated evolves and supersprints are not and I highly recommend them to be

1 - 20 of 126 Posts