BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Who did those?
These are Jed’s headers, which are based on Dinan equal length design. What separates these from others is the modular design and much more, but folk in this thread wouldn’t want these.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I am running Evolve headers with an aggressive tune from Salman and I am loving it. Worth every penny. Big difference with only a tune (Evolve too) what I had before.
Did he lock your DME as well after the tune was finished?

·
4,305 Posts
How difficult is the install of the Super Sprint Headers? What is the average time for install?
If you have to ask it'll take you a good bit of time, easily a whole weekend or more. That also depends if you have the right tools.

Dropping the subframe is not really complicated, just tedious.

Removing the shocks with the subframe will make it slightly easier to re-align, but it'll make it more difficult to balance when removing-then-reinstalling it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did he lock your DME as well after the tune was finished?
As far as I know there is nothing being locked. He also never mentioned something like that. But if it has be done, it was done without letting me know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
John Anthony, I have dropped subframes in order to install front sway bars on 540's, how long has it taken you to put them in. Does anyone have installation instructions to share?

·
4,305 Posts
John Anthony, I have dropped subframes in order to install front sway bars on 540's, how long has it taken you to put them in. Does anyone have installation instructions to share?
It's not that simple to give a time frame.

If someone had never seen a set of SS headers before, they could have the whole set figured out and both sides bolted on in less than 20 mins. SS headers are pretty much impossible to install incorrectly, the thing that takes up most of your time is checking fitment as you put the car back together.

Because the SS collectors are so bulky you won't know if they need even further adjustment until the subframe is back in place. The flange that holds down the gaskets to seal each manifold sits very close to the edge of the subframe. Also you won't see if the manifolds themselves need to be shifted to avoid the two shields bolted on the subframe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Supersprints can be installed without dropping the subframe, that’s the beauty of the multi piece design. They’ll either save you a lot of time or money (if you have a shop do them).

If the evolve is 4-1 as well, there’s going to be negligible difference in power. The 4-2-1 designs (like Dinan and I think the older style evolve?) get a bump in torque through better scavenging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You won't be disappointed, the under-trays fit perfectly with them, no clearance issues. I've been very happy with mine. I did their high flow cats (as one of my stock ones developed a rattle) but they will match up fine to your stock cats.

Or you can do a de-cat, which published dyno tests show a whopping 1-3hp gain on the M62 engine (on a road car). It's reaaaaaaallly worth it considering you are now dumping 10 times the amount of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide into the air, because you can definitely feel that entire 3hp! And climate change isn't real so don't worry about it, no ones having any gigantic fires, massive hurricanes or flooding issues anywhere.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Or you can do a de-cat, which published dyno tests show a whopping 1-3hp gain on the M62 engine (on a road car). It's reaaaaaaallly worth it considering you are now dumping 10 times the amount of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide into the air, because you can definitely feel that entire 3hp! And climate change isn't real so don't worry about it, no ones having any gigantic fires, massive hurricanes or flooding issues anywhere.
weird flex, but ok

A real environmentalist wouldn't be driving an oil burning and gas chugging 19ish year old M5, just saying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good point! Though I wouldn’t call myself one- had seen an earlier question about decat pipes fitting with these, drives me nuts when people think they’re getting something out of deleting them on a street car. A 2001 M5 is made substantially worse for the environment by taking the cats off, just saying.

I’ll get off my soapbox now:censored:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You won't be disappointed, the under-trays fit perfectly with them, no clearance issues. I've been very happy with mine. I did their high flow cats (as one of my stock ones developed a rattle) but they will match up fine to your stock cats.

M62 is a POS. Decat made me 31whp. Stay mad.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts