BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched and found conflicting information regarding these two brands. Can anyone clarify? In the E60 section I saw a post that Evolve subcontracts SuperSprint to manufacture their headers. Is this true for the E39 as well? I have also read multiple posts claiming that the Evolve headers were night and day better than SuperSprint. Help if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Evolve headers are made by SuperSprint but are not the same that SuperSprint advertises. My understanding is the Evolve headers flow better and can produce additional power but I do not recall any numbers specifically.

I purchased the first headers I could find since the difference to me was not worth enough to justify looking for a specific brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it. Agreed, I can't justify the extra cost (plus the additional fabrication needed for stock cats w/Evolve). I'll try and report back on my results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
supersprint make the evolves in their factory in Italy. The both gain 30 hp. The difference is that the evolve starts making that power a bit earlier. Given the current pricing on the SS group buy its a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Justifying $ is what a lot of people have a problem with.

However, wasn’t buying an M5 a justification on its own.

You can tune a stock e39 and get similar results with headers and pay fraction of what you’d be paying for headers and install.

Question pops: Why do you need or want headers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justifying $ is what a lot of people have a problem with.

However, wasn’t buying an M5 a justification on its own.

You can tune a stock e39 and get similar results with headers and pay fraction of what you’d be paying for headers and install.

Question pops: Why do you need or want headers.
I would challenge the notion that you can tune a stock E39 M5 and get similar results. Where can I get such a magical tune?

I want headers because I want the extra power. I made my choice and went with SS. The 1% difference in power between the SS and Evolve isn't worth the extra $1k that I can put towards other things like a weighted shift knob, oil analysis, refinish my headlights, et al

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing where the group buy is too?
I'm not on FB, so if there's another link that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I would challenge the notion that you can tune a stock E39 M5 and get similar results. Where can I get such a magical tune?

I want headers because I want the extra power. I made my choice and went with SS. The 1% difference in power between the SS and Evolve isn't worth the extra $1k that I can put towards other things like a weighted shift knob, oil analysis, refinish my headlights, et al
You will need a tune regardless if you wanna feel the gains. Tune will get you about 10-15 SS will get you another 15

does the cost of stand alone headers worth it? If it does, you’re golden

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I am taking part of the group buy. Hard to pass up!

And from what I have read, you can pick up significant gains with just the headers. I am planning on a tune as well, but from my understanding that's the icing on the cake.

·
4,305 Posts
I think SS headers hang lower than Evolve, or was it vice versa?
Because of their design the SS collectors need more finesse to be installed properly. If the installer is not aware, the bend on the SS collector will sit lower than the under-body shields and you risk scrapping (especially with non-OE suspension).

The easiest way to tell the SS & Evolve headers apart are the collectors. The SS headers have a bulkier+shorter collector. While the Evolve headers have a more compact+longer collector. They both have 4-1 collectors, but the SS 4-1 sits closer to the manifold while the Evolve 4-1 sits further back.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Don’t know about you guys, but I like these.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am running Evolve headers with an aggressive tune from Salman and I am loving it. Worth every penny. Big difference with only a tune (Evolve too) what I had before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm currently running the Evolve Alpha N as well... cant wait for the SS headers!!

I am hoping that my butt will feel that difference. My expectations are getting a little crazy, I have to keep myself in check over here!

·
4,305 Posts
With SS headers/decat pipes, can the full belly pan plastic cover (two pieces) be reinstalled?
Yes, all plastic under trays and metal shields can be reinstalled. Depending on Superpsrint's manufacturing tolerances you might need to either find the exact orientation in which everything fits without touching, or you'll just have to modify the parts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts