BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

For months people have been asking us to release some figures for our power tuning for our normal package.

As most of you know most of our work has been based mainly on cars with intakes, headers and actually developing hardware.

The latest flash/remap was developed some time ago. Some members from the UK have already had flashes and seen some good figures but for us just a few cars is not enough.

So - here you go but as usual with our style of respresenting data to show that everything was kept consistent. Many of the graph this forum is used to are literally just some graphs not showing any correction factors. This is such an important part of the game because correction factors change power output so much and keeping consistency is incredibly important.
The two most effective correction factors are intake temperature and barometric pressure. We have shown these to be almost exactly consistent between runs on the below graphs.

Also, we would like to point out that these graphs are not the same shape and that the gains are in realistic rpm's. Gaining power at the very low rpm's (below 2500rpm) are not realistic as not alot is going on at below 2500rpm with respect to airspeed!

Let us know what you think!

Evolve Software V1.3 - Tests carried out on bone stock car with 90,000 miles:

Some quick notes:

The slight dip at 4750rpm is due to a large change in the vanos profile. We can get rid of this with ignition timing but we have to account for low grade fuels.
Please take note that our before and after graphs are different shapes and therefore not phase shifts in anyway shape or form (correction factors prove this)
Our RPM calibration is 100% accurate and yes this tuned car has got 7100rpm limit.
We are using thye highest recorded stock run (on a dyno dynamics 327RWHP is a damn good figure to get!) vs the average post tune run rather than what many tuning companies are well known for doing - lowest pre-run vs highest post-run!

We hope you like the way we have represtented the data in a clear and concise way with respect to accurate RPM calibration and correction factor data.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
So this is the file you put on sipi's and mailman's car and I drove on both on them....

WOW,Sal,you really took your time to post up the graphs with the correction factors!!

Very nice power gains and torque gains throughout the rpm range from 2500rpm on(as below that,not possible on a stock car)...

These are real dyno graphs and not phase shifts,for sure!

Like your style to show highest stock power output versus averange modified power output.
Think many people are not aware that these cars need quite many dyno runs until they show full power and have a consistant base line to start with....

Think we got a genuine good power mapping there,well done,guys.

Show me the AFR's also,please.Just to show you did not lean it to make power!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sal, I'm going to need the cable again ... ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chaps.

Pretty sure that this mapping and results is my car, which Sal worked with on Friday.

The car is as explained, completely standard and a very healthy example with recent fuel pump replacement, belts changed and oil service - all the right things as you'd all expect.

I had the car done in readiness for the PH VMax event which I was attending where I was originally looking for taking the limiter off. Sals sales patter worked well on me, and sure enough I was in having the car worked on!

Driving the car afterwards was immense. The hesitations were gone, instead I had a very muscular car that in the next morning was chasing and keeping tabs easily with a well driven Porsche 996 TT X50. The car feels smoother across the range and has the most linear feel to it.

We arrived at VMax and whilst very foggy and damp, I was still able to use the proven technique of using the bottom corner to it's full, and then crossing diagonally to the timing beams 1.5miles down the runway.

The car was easily running 170/171's all day, 4 up often (as the passengers rather enjoyed the drifting around the bottom corner) and with two up we achieved a 172.

Some interesting drags were had though:

CSL: Easily pulled away in gear - although the CSL is more brutal and lighter, the torque allowed the M5 to rein it in if it got in front (often as a result of drift tomfoolery) - starts were interesting - if I got it hooked up, I could easily beat it - but as was the case often, I found it hard to get the power down.

Standard E46 M3: Easily pulled away from, with visibly quicker in gear pull.

E39 M5 with Gruppe M intakes: Again, like the CSL, you could see the difference in gear, pulling harder across the rev range.

VW R32 Supercharged: Intersting fight - the Haldex system should have given it some help, but it was left behind, with no chance on the straight.

Interesting factoids of the day:

- Vmax mpg: 7.1mpg, The drive home on the motorway at 70 on the cruise: 30.0mpg :eek:h:

- Other owners of standard E39 M5's who passengered all said the car pulled a lot better, with my cars previous owner saying that it feels completely different and much better.

- 3rd gear drifts are now much MUCH easier, with the whole of the Bruntingthorpe bottom corner easily drifted (Vids coming soon).

Summary in short: I've never appreciated nor thought an NA car could be so vastly improved when having a laptop shoved up it's nostril. The car is now how I would expect BMW wanted it to properly perform when they designed it, but were held back by the nannying emmisions department - it's simply very VERY worth the money!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sal, this is the tune that you had mentioned would show the most improvement as long as the timing is correct-correct? I'm off to do a search to see if Raikku made a thread for checking timing yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wowsers. Just tried a standing start in the dry for the first time. Zoinks. Its trying the break the grip all the way through 2nd. It's MUCH improved - the damp conditions masked it ever so slightly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Neil,

Sorry we didn't get to run against each other, but over the lunchtime break a coil pack or three failed on my car resulting in my day ending early.

I have an awful lot of faith in the gains Evolve have got out of cars, too many companies spout huge gains and the proof really is in the pudding as they say.

Glad you had fun all day... Till the next one. :D

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Thanks for posting the video,Neil!

Was already told that you really enjoy the remap!

@biscuits:

Is your M5 the one done last week?

If so,was very quick in Bruntingthorpe!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep, had it done on Friday.

I believe we're going to try again to see if there is any room for improvement by leaving it for a day or so - Sal is a perfectionist!

·
Registered
12 Posts
@biscuits:
Is your M5 the one done last week?
If so,was very quick in Bruntingthorpe!
Yes it was and Im chuffed to bits with the gains... real gains not just a pretty dyno plot or beer talk!

It ran very well at bruntingthorpe, just a shame it ended early. Were you there ?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Yes it was and Im chuffed to bits with the gains... real gains not just a pretty dyno plot or beer talk!

It ran very well at bruntingthorpe, just a shame it ended early. Were you there ?
Unfortunately not!

But given I am a member of the Evolve team,news spread fast to northern Europe:haha:

Sorry to hear about your ignition coil failure!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts