BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, bear with me I have a story to tell. :M5thumbs:

So, I bought my E39 M5 back in November. It was the first time I had bought a car with such high mileage. 87k miles. :eek:oohhh: I thought long and hard about whether I would regret it. Would it be a money pit, would it have loads go wrong with it as I put more miles on it. When I bought it the car was in really good condition in terms of bodywork, wheels, interior etc. so I was confident I had bought a good un. It has the odd rattle, the odd squeak but nothing to not be expected from a 9 year old car.

Now, I had dealt with Sal from Evolve with my previous CSL. It was the first CSL to have one of his excellent remaps. My CSL was a strong car std and was even more impressive remapped. I took the car to the Ring and Spa on a european jaunt and it pulled away in a straight line from other CSLs. So, when I bought my E39 and realised that Sal was also working on the E39 M5 (and actually owned one) it seemed pretty obvious to send the car to him to have a look at it, check the car out in detail and give it to him for a remap. It all worked out well. Sal said the car was a really good one, quiet Vanos, no issues at all apart from needing to maybe replace the front and rear bushes in time and also the door pins? I was relieved.

Then I drove the car after the remap. Ok, so obviously something like a remap is always going to be a subtle difference. I am very happy with that subtle difference though. The car has better throttle response, definitely seems to have more pull lower down the rev range and also pulls harder higher up the rev range. The power is very linear. It seems like it has more growl to it as well. The car is definitely smoother as well.

I'm not one for modding so next steps will be subtle. Maybe a short shift, some lowering springs with new oem shocks as the suspension does feel a bit tired and then lets see how I go. Sal knows what I'm like and is not the kind of person who would suggest that I spend £s on the car when it's not my style.

I'm not sure what the car dyno'd at but I think it was around 405-410bhp after the remap but I'm sure Evolve will confirm that. I will be most certainly sending my car there from now on for anything that needs to be done to it.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you all know my experience so far with the car. I'm really enjoying it so far. :cheers:

·
Registered
642 Posts
You went with the AlphaN and remap? The smoothness you are feeling in the throttle is probably the AlphaN if you received it too.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
You went with the AlphaN and remap? The smoothness you are feeling in the throttle is probably the AlphaN if you received it too.
No, this is our regular remap which does make a noticeable difference in both smoothness and power.

AlphaN is even smoother.

·
3,068 Posts
Nice dealing with you again Anis.

Exceptional example of an E39 M5. Could not expect any less from you with it being so clean.

Definately someone who knows how to buy a good car!

This car made 405hp stock which rose to 417hp. Thought it might have been the dyno over correcting but even stock this one feels very strong.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Quick question to evolve..
whats the best remap/tuning for a 2002 BMW M5 in California, United States. It has to remain smog legal and I want to get the most horsepower but still be practical I.E. leave the stock mafs and air temp sensors..
PM if necessary!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Glad to hear another happy evolve customer.
I recently went back to have my map tweaked a bit more, the results were excellent the first time and a noticeably better drive, after the update there was yet again a noticeable improvement, I was very happy and the car pulls so well.
Also my sport button now only stiffens the steering which I find much better. I liked the stiffer steering but hated having to adapt between the different throttle maps when switching on sport mode.

·
3,068 Posts
Quick question to evolve..
whats the best remap/tuning for a 2002 BMW M5 in California, United States. It has to remain smog legal and I want to get the most horsepower but still be practical I.E. leave the stock mafs and air temp sensors..
PM if necessary!
Hi, I will pm you to discuss.

·
3,068 Posts
Glad to hear another happy evolve customer.
I recently went back to have my map tweaked a bit more, the results were excellent the first time and a noticeably better drive, after the update there was yet again a noticeable improvement, I was very happy and the car pulls so well.
Also my sport button now only stiffens the steering which I find much better. I liked the stiffer steering but hated having to adapt between the different throttle maps when switching on sport mode.

Hi matt, 1.3 is a major improvement.

Just so that everyone understands, we can completely manipulate the throttle maps in both modes.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Anis, short shifter is a good mod. They also look better if lowered, for sure - Its a shame the stock setup is not adjustable. invest in some front camber plates, a little negative on the front helps dial out understeer. Also consider opening the front air ducts to the brakes.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Good to hear another happy tale from evolve! Roll on march! You could also put a Dinan or similar strength rear anti-roll bar to help with understeer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Loving my AlphaN and power remap. Also got the temp relocation and GT backbox's. The sound is great out of these boxes not too loud just a nice prominent V8 GT Type sound, just what I wanted. Plus the Evolve guys bought me lunch while I waited. What more could a guy ask for.:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Why this?
I have understand, that E39 M5 brake discs cooling some how f*cks up after this mod. And also beasts brake discs has been planned to cool down from "outside", not "inside".
Lets hope that you get my point of this :)
The US cars will probably benefit but the euro cars dont need it because the 'floating' aluminium centre of the rotor runs very cool compared to normal single piece rotors.:cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Should have my Alpha N flash next week! I can't wait.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Euro cars had "floating" rotors along with the front air dam opened to allow air to route to the brakes. In the US, we have to modify to get this after the purchase.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Impressions of Evolve powermap

Chiming in about the Evolve powermapping - I had the pleasure of driving Burnout187s powermapped car and it definietly feels very strong and smooth compared to my car. His car pulls like a maniac with no throttle jerkiness. :biggrin:

Thanks Burnout & good job Evolve!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Chiming in about the Evolve powermapping - I had the pleasure of driving Burnout187s powermapped car and it definietly feels very strong and smooth compared to my car. His car pulls like a maniac with no throttle jerkiness. :biggrin:

Thanks Burnout & good job Evolve!
Oh, you have been in Raikku's workshop... :)
My sh*tbox is still outside over there... :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm...Evolve AlphaN and exhaust packages :cheers: Luuuuuurvly.

Me thinks I'm going to have pay a visit to Luton at some point. Always wanted to change the exhaust on the last Beast but never got around to it. Will be looking to get it done this time, finances permitting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts