BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many board members who are a large distance away from us have been recieving ECU Remaps/Flashes from us in the last year.

This has been mainly for the AlphaN, Power mapping and diagnostic functions.

What most have seen is the evolve cable which is the same as we use at HQ. It passes from customer to customer.

Now, we have a new solution.

The evolve-R.

This remote cable is one that you (the end user) keeps and can flash in files using your laptop with the very simple software pictures below:

This is again the exact same cable as what we use at HQ but it is locked to your ECU and costs much less to purchase (£150 maximum).

Those of you who have used our cable already know that the software is not particularly easy to setup and usually requires myself (Salman) to login remotely to your PC and carry out the whole operation.

This new version is much easier to install and the whole read/write process is far smoother and easier.

This is how it works:

- We send you the cable with software
- Install the programme on your laptop (Windows XP/Vista/7)
- Plug the cable into your USB port and then to your OBDII port
- Click the 'identify ECU' button
- Read the file by clicking on 'read ECU memory'
- Email us the file
- Await for the modified file to be sent back
- Click 'programme ECU memory' button and select the new file

The read/write time is less than 3 minutes so no worries about battery charge going down.

You can then select the origional or the tuned software.

We will supply a valet map for free which will limit the RPM's to say around 3000rpm.

If for example, you currently have a stock car and ask for the stage 1 software and then later decide to add headers and require a stage 2 remap then you use the same cable and you just purchase the relevant version from us and flash it in into the ECU.

Now, there is one problem with the MSS52 ECU. After approximately 50 flashes the ECU will lock out and you can no longer programme the ECU. We are working on a special add on feature which will allow us to reset the ECU counter back so you can continue flashing. This process will take slightly longer but won't be done that often because it will take some time for you to use up all 50 slots.

In the near future we will also supply an upgraded software which will allow the software/cable to read/clear fault codes and also carry out datalogging or read live data.

We are also looking into possibilities to upgrade the complete DME software (same as a BMW update) to the latest version or any version at that matter!

This is very much the latest in OBDII flashing / data technology at a very very cheap price.

It not only works on the MSS52 but also the MSS54 (E46 M3), MSS6x (E60 M5 and E92 M3) + many many more.

This will be available not just through us but also our dealer network.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I asked about a Valet mode last year and it fell on deaf ears.

I'm glad you guys are making one available. However, how would you select the Valet mode map? Would you have to plug the car in and reflash it to select this map? I was hoping for something similar to what APR offers for MKIV and newer VW's where you can switch between maps via a button sequence in the car. No chance of this?

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked about a Valet mode last year and it fell on deaf ears.

I'm glad you guys are making one available. However, how would you select the Valet mode map? Would you have to plug the car in and reflash it to select this map? I was hoping for something similar to what APR offers for MKIV and newer VW's where you can switch between maps via a button sequence in the car. No chance of this?
Hi,

I will look into this for you using a button sequence. Not promising anything. The sport button could be essentially used for this as an immediate option and very useful for those that don't use sport mode.

With the sport memory button this would work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hi,

I will look into this for you using a button sequence. Not promising anything. The sport button could be essentially used for this as an immediate option and very useful for those that don't use sport mode.

With the sport memory button this would work perfectly.
I believe Powerchip told me the same thing but that sort of defeats the purpose since a Valet will probably play around with the sport and DSC buttons when he tried to anally rape your clutch to begin with.

The APR version uses a button sequence to "unlock" the ECU (on mine it was 4 quick depresses of the cruise control button, 9 quick depresses, 1 depress, and then 3 more) and then you select which of the stored maps you wanted with a different button sequence (like 1, 2, or 3 clicks of the cruise control button) and then hold down the cruise control button for 4 seconds to "lock" the ecu again.

It was quite brilliant in its simplicity and fool-proofness. I don't know if you could do something like that but if you could you'd be my hero :applause:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Very interested in having one of these Sal, when are they available?

Is there any way to read the number of times the ECU has been flashed?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

Is there any way to read the number of times the ECU has been flashed?
INPA will tell you how many times the DME has been flashed.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
As am I. It would be great to pick one up at the same time the headers and such start shipping . . .

The valet mode sounds interesting. I know I will park blocks away from an event just so as not to have to use valet services.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cables gentlemen are ready now.

The picture you see is of one that is being shipped to the middleeast for tuning an M6 V10.

Now this valet mode - it all depends on if a button sequence will have any effect on the ECU. All depends on the inputs.

I already know one way to do it but it would require a switch to be installed to cut off all readings from the ABS sensors to the DME.

If you installed this switch and triggered it I can make the ECU any maximum RPM limit you want. This method however would store a fault in the ABS/DSC unit but would have no long term effect.

I will do some research but it's not something I can promise through button sequences.

·
3,068 Posts

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As am I. It would be great to pick one up at the same time the headers and such start shipping . . .

The valet mode sounds interesting. I know I will park blocks away from an event just so as not to have to use valet services.
No problem.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sal,

Your innovative ideas are impressive. I/we all appreciate your efforts keeping our beasts at the top of thier game.

Now I need some innovative ideas on how to pay for all this.

Thanks,

dj

Reactions: mchang

·
Registered
17 Posts
This new cable sounds great! Any chance you would be willing to work on an m62tu for ALPHA-N? I would LOVE to throw this maf away!

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sal,

Your innovative ideas are impressive. I/we all appreciate your efforts keeping our beasts at the top of thier game.

Now I need some innovative ideas on how to pay for all this.

Thanks,

dj
Hi Dj,

the thanks not only goes to me but the team here and the people that we work with.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This new cable sounds great! Any chance you would be willing to work on an m62tu for ALPHA-N? I would LOVE to throw this maf away!
I would have to come over there to do that one because you have a supercharger already fitted.

Not just a case of disabling the MAF's unfortunately.

PM sent.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Speaking of superchargers I should have mine by the time I return home from Afghanistan, with your software and your headers with ESS supercharger what, if any issues, can be foreseen with the ess sc and your software?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi Dj,

the thanks not only goes to me but the team here and the people that we work with.
Speaking of the Team, you had mentioned in an earlier post that you were about to announce a U.S. distributor but I seem to have missed it. Or are things still getting ironed out?

I'd love to hear what you have planned for us.

Thanks,

dj

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Hi Mike,

INPA will tell you how many of the slots are taken up which is different to what we are doing. This is a different counter.
they're talking about not writing the UIF(user info field) there by the flash counter does not go down. dealer tools can't do it but if you use WinKFPT etc you can choose not to write the UIF there by you get more than 13 flashes before the dme locks.

fyi to everyone, do not flash a dme without having a stable power supply hooked up and have a minimum sustained 12.5v. no matter how short the flashing time you just dont do it, to even suggest otherwise is stupidity. before flashing any e39 M5 its also a good idea to pull fuse 31(dsc).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
fyi to everyone, do not flash a dme without having a stable power supply hooked up and have a minimum sustained 12.5v. no matter how short the flashing time you just dont do it, to even suggest otherwise is stupidity. before flashing any e39 M5 its also a good idea to pull fuse 31(dsc).
+1 i learned that the hard way..3K it costed me,and bmw gave me a break or it was double ouich
all for a 20cent fuse i was stranded for 5 weeks.

good advice nightkrawler !

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
they're talking about not writing the UIF(user info field) there by the flash counter does not go down. dealer tools can't do it but if you use WinKFPT etc you can choose not to write the UIF there by you get more than 13 flashes before the dme locks.

Good info, nk. Can you elaborate a little more on why it's advisable to pull the DSC fuse? I've never done that before flashing, but it certainly wouldn't be difficult.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts