BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
ok, so what you recommend then?

only the Evolve ecu tune?

99% of our customers go for Alpha-N on S62 and S54.

The price difference is really small if you take in account that you need a new set of MAFs eventually anyway.
I have often guys who just bought MAFs and still change over to Alpha-N.

Throttle response and overall drive ability is even better with the Alpha-N compared to the tune only option.

If you can justify the little extra cost for the Alpha-N,do it.

I promise,you will not regret it!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
After I installed my Alpha-n tune, I drove with my MAFs in for at least a couple weeks (daily driver) until I installed the intake air temperature (IAT) relocation kit. Once I removed the MAFs, the car was very different, and for the better. Definitely go for the Alpha-n. You can always plug your MAFs back in if you wanted, but there really is no reason why you would need to.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks.

The more I see these kind of commnets, the more enthousiastic I am to get this tune :applause:
I will contact Evolve to make me an offer for the ECU + Alfa-N tune.

I will take out my maf's and make some metal covers to close the holes. Or I dig up my old maf's and modify them. Also the plugs can then remain connected. I have read a lot about the IAT. Is this required for the tune or just something what people do ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
After I installed my Alpha-n tune, I drove with my MAFs in for at least a couple weeks (daily driver) until I installed the intake air temperature (IAT) relocation kit. Once I removed the MAFs, the car was very different, and for the better. Definitely go for the Alpha-n. You can always plug your MAFs back in if you wanted, but there really is no reason why you would need to.
did you have it on a dyno?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I also have a fairly recent experience of the basic Evolve tune vs. Alpha-N. After getting the latest Evolve software update, I drove with my MAFs connected for a couple of weeks before going Alpha-N. This was with a completely standard engine, no IAT relocation or anything. The engine had also just been thoroughly overhauled by vantaam5, with a fresh chain setup and properly set timing. Sensors (including MAFs) were all in good condition.

While the Evolve tune with MAFs connected is a clear improvement over the standard software, I really prefer using the Evolve Alpha-N setup. The thing I like the most is the throttle response; very linear and precise, not too aggressive. With Alpha-N, Sport mode is truly usable at all times, including city driving and the snowy/icy roads we have here in Finland at the moment.

Even though I think outright performance as such shouldn't be that different when comparing the "basic" Evolve tune and Alpha-N, on my car I also noticed a clear improvement (confirmed by a stopwatch) in the low RPM range acceleration when running Alpha-N.

So basically, go for Alpha-N is what I'm saying :)

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
In my many years of ownership, I have had Dinan Stage 2 or 3 tune, Powerchip (PC), PC for headers, ESS (for supercharger), ESS updated (for supercharger) and now Evolve Alpha N (for supercharger with upgrade).

The PC tunes were the best when the car was NA. Car started easily, fast idle was very controlled, idled smoothly, and pulled seamlessly. However, it was not alpha N.

ESS supplied its tune with the ESS VT550 kit. At WOT it was very good. Part throttle, fast idle, not so good. Even after the "update", there was no noticeable improvement.

Enter Evolve.

I did the bigger injector upgrade because my car definitely needed more fuel under boost (at least until I added the BAP). After explaining to Sal what changes I had, he sent me his first version tune. About 95% spot on. Car idled smoothly, fast idle was well controlled, and it pulled great. It was only on a dyno where we could see minor bumps in the AFR curve. On the street, it was seamless.

Sal has recenlty provided an updated tune. Although the car has not been re-dynoed yet, seat of pants feels even better above about 3500-4000 rpm. Where the car would squirm under hard acceleration in a moderate turn, it now actually steps out just a little (DSC on!). In a straight line, it pulls HARD! (just love 3rd gear, hard to find room for 4th:biggrin:)

So in my experience, the Evolve alpha N tune is the best. Remember, the car has been around for about 15 years, and knowledge and programming has been progressing in that time. Sal has continued to work to improve his programming, and he is both knowledgable, and conservative (so the motor doesn't go BOOM!).

Evolve has been very good to work with (and especially Jamie @ RK). Customer service is really excellent. These guys really seem to care, while having fun and making money.

Based on cost, service and performance, this has to be the best tune available for our cars at the present time. All IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Do I smell another group buy?? Valentine's Day special! lovelove

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Originally Posted by D-RodM5
Do I smell another group buy?? Valentine's Day special! lovelove
If the price offer is the same or even better as what is now on their site, you can count me in. I just need to know if there will be additional costs for shipping to Europe. I can assume that the hardware is somewhere available within Europe. So less duties/VAT. Or even better, I like without duties.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If the price offer is the same or even better as what is now on their site, you can count me in. I just need to know if there will be additional costs for shipping to Europe. I can assume that the hardware is somewhere available within Europe. So less duties/VAT. Or even better, I like without duties.
The Evolve headquarter is in the UK,so not so much shipping costs....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
But if i want to order, I have to do this via the US to get that discount and that is also with $ 45 shipping costs. Please PM me with the possibility to order from the UK ?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Check the group buy section of the forum. One has been started!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have send an email to rizwan. Know waiting for the response.
Valentine can be so nice :1:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have asked Salman for a quote on ECU tune + Alpha-N and intakes, but nothing received yet ? Is this to difficult, to expensive or are you guy's to busy ? :dunno:
Please drop me an email with a quote for this.

At this moment there is major maintenance needed for the Vanos. I did not passed the Vanos test in Dis because of camshaft sensor and leaking Vanos seals. I need to solve this first and after that I want to do the tuning.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts