BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just read this offer on Evolve

BMW M5 E39: Evolver ECU Tune

With shipping to the Netherlands we talk about € 620.

The specs are impressive but is this a tuning worth to be done ? Or do I need to take the alfa-N also (€ 765 incl shipping) and disconnect my MAF's ?
The last dino showed me 314 WHP and 441 Nm torque on the rear axle.

Is there somebody who has done this tune and provide me with some feedback ? I have done some research and most comments are very positive. But I am looking for the comment which will convins me to do this tune.
I like to end with an Evolve fase 4 tuning, but this could be a nice start already mmmmmm

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I don't think you will find one person on here that doesn't recommend the tune. If I were to get the tune, I certainly would pay the extra bit and get alpha-N. Little extra, and you won't have to worry about MAFs. I do ONLY recommend getting the tune if your car is operating 100% mechanically. Getting a tune to mask anything can be dangerous.

Some say it changed the performance of the car. I cannot comment on this entirely. I got the tune when my MAFs were shot, so obviously it made a big difference, but I wouldn't say it transformed my car.

Regardless it is a quality product, with some amazing technical service.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that you have to do this only if your car is 100%. After the dino run, I have replaced air filters, oil filter, spark plugs, both oxygen sensors and both MAF sensors are only 15K old. Car drives in my opinion well, good overall response. But I like to get more bite. And of course 265 KM/hour is not sufficient enough :grinyes:

I want to make something unique out of my beast. The overall conditional state is very good, that's why I am thinking for the next phase.

Of course in Holland you can tune the car. But it is PC software driven or the chip is soldered out, remapped and soldered back. I do not know if their performance is as good as I have read about Evolve in the comments here. I rather like to pay for quality then to be disappointed. And Alfa-N, I have not heard in Holland about this. I do not even know if it is allowed due to the emission rules.

QQ:
If I take the ECU + Alfa-N, are there seals delivered to cover the MAF mountings ? Or do I need to change the whole tube and replace it by ... ?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
They send you a cable that pulls your ECU Map, then you send them the file, they tune it and send it back.

They do not send anything to cover up the MAF plugs. Mine just sit in the engine bay currently.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
I would really like little covers to close off the MAF wholes so we don't have to leave our $300+ sensors in there doing nothing, collecting dirt, and going bad when we could remove them and store them away for a rainy day.
But if you have the alpha N tune, you will never NEED the MAF's. So there is really nothing to 'save".
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Read the group buy thread on the tune, it will answer all of your questions. If you are not convinced by the time you finish reading it, then transforming the way your car drives is probably not for you. It's everything the reviews say about it.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
Unless you live in California and need them to pass smog every couple of years. :)
Are you saying the Evolve tune will not pass Cali smog?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A lot of people have gone with the MAFless CAI. With that intake, there is no way to plug your MAFs back in. No reported problems with that setup yet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would take out my maf's, close the holes. Those maf's are quite expensive and if I do not need them, I could sell them.

Sikesser; that's what I was looking for.

"It's everything the reviews say about it.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

There is no group buy yet, so what will be wise;

To wait or take the offer ??????

·
Registered
158 Posts
yes, but removing your mafs for daily traffic, is not recommended

especially for your gas behavior

correct me if i'm wrong!!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
yes, but removing your mafs for daily traffic, is not recommended

especially for your gas behavior

correct me if i'm wrong!!

We are not talking about just disconnecting the MAFs.

There are lots of changes in the software to make a S62 without MAFs better to drive with same if not better fuel economy than stock in daily driving.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We are not talking about just disconnecting the MAFs.

There are lots of changes in the software to make a S62 without MAFs better to drive with same if not better fuel economy than stock in daily driving.

ok, so what you recommend then?

only the Evolve ecu tune?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts