BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hello Evolve,

Even though I don't own an M5 anymore, I am still spreading the word to my friends globally about the quality of the work you guys are doing!

A friend of mine from Moscow, Russia, has just bought your Alpha N tune from your website and was curious what he might expect to make at the dyno:

His mods:

1) Hamann Tubular headers (catless)
2) Hamann Section 1 catless and custom straight pipes from Section 1 onwards (no mufflers)

He wanted the tune to be tuned for maximum octane, which in the case of Russia will be 100 octane race gas.

Is this possible?

·
Company Representative for evolve automotive
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hello Evolve,

Even though I don't own an M5 anymore, I am still spreading the word to my friends globally about the quality of the work you guys are doing!

A friend of mine from Moscow, Russia, has just bought your Alpha N tune from your website and was curious what he might expect to make at the dyno:

His mods:

1) Hamann Tubular headers (catless)
2) Hamann Section 1 catless and custom straight pipes from Section 1 onwards (no mufflers)

He wanted the tune to be tuned for maximum octane, which in the case of Russia will be 100 octane race gas.

Is this possible?
Hi

Thanks for the kind words!

Depends which dyno but we have seen 480-500 WHP with headers and our tune on US Dynojets. Other brands of dyno read lower.

We can tune for his octane of fuel.

How are you getting on with your new car/cars?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the kind words!

Depends which dyno but we have seen 480-500 WHP with headers and our tune on US Dynojets. Other brands of dyno read lower.

We can tune for his octane of fuel.

How are you getting on with your new car/cars?
Hello Imran!

Thanks for the reply. Can he expect more than 500WHP if he uses strictly race fuel?

All of my cars are good, altough the GT-R doesn't get driven much since its too harsh for daily use and I will probably convert it for track-only use closer to summer of 2015. The Jag and the new Porsche are amazing and make every morning a tough choice haha :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Double post

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Hello Imran!

Thanks for the reply. Can he expect more than 500WHP if he uses strictly race fuel?

All of my cars are good, altough the GT-R doesn't get driven much since its too harsh for daily use and I will probably convert it for track-only use closer to summer of 2015. The Jag and the new Porsche are amazing and make every morning a tough choice haha :)
On a dynojet with those modifications he is more likely to get 500 WHP or more.

Yeah I can imagine that is a tough choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Contact

Evolve, do you guys respond to facebook messages? I also tried calling the US phone number ((702) 430 1617) that you have on your site today a few times and it just keeps ringing.... I also emailed your sales email but no response from all 3. I cant PM on this board yet otherwise I would try that as well... Trying to figure out which tune to get...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Evolve, do you guys respond to facebook messages? I also tried calling the US phone number ((702) 430 1617) that you have on your site today a few times and it just keeps ringing.... I also emailed your sales email but no response from all 3. I cant PM on this board yet otherwise I would try that as well... Trying to figure out which tune to get...
sorry about the delay, please send me a email to [email protected] and I will take care of you

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Here is my review on the Evolve Stage 3 tune:

I have about 3800km on this tune now and 2000km was run in time.

Installation was easy, I had problems at the start with Windows 8 being a pain in the *** as it didn’t like the USB driver. I tried everything and it would work then it wouldn’t. I emailed Evolve and they threw some ideas over but I had already tried them. Then 1 day I turn the laptop on and its all fine and works great. This is a windows 8 problem not evolve, it has to do with the USB driver digital signature.

Download of the tune took an hour, I plugged the battery charger in so it had plenty of juice and the laptop was full charged. Got the files and sent them off to evolve with my instructions and mods.
5 days later new file comes, upload is easy and takes less time, more like 15mins. After the file upload is done I start to rip out the MAF’s and install the Air Temp sensor. Easy install but Evolve should really supply some instructions on which wires need to be spliced for the air temp sensor.

The drive:
At first there is very little gain and the car is rather jerky as the DME relearns, give it 20kms and it smooths out and feels stronger. Once you are at 100-120km its all there. At the time I was running in so couldn’t test it but the extra power and torque was there, I had to hold off revving past 5k for a while.
Then after I hit 2000km time to open it up, gradually more and more revs for obvious reasons to make sure the engine is good. 400HP mode is a lot better now, before it felt very sluggish and most of the time I would press the power button for everyday driving. Now I do not have to. It stays in 400 90% of the time I daily drive to work etc.
M mode is now better, its very smooth and wants to rev more freely. On the standard tune I always seemed to hit the limiter even though I wasn’t trying to, by the time you look at the rev counter and pull the paddle its too late. Now with a raised limiter it never happens, I see it as less stress on the engine now. I might hit 8400 now but at least I am not hitting the limiter and stressing the engine with a sudden stop of engine revs.

Since I have no Primary cats I took the cold start off, this is a great option since I leave the house at 5am and I know the noise was pissing the neighbors off, its now a lot better in the mornings.

I took a trip to the rocky mountains at the weekend and went to 7,000 ft absl, car drove perfect and even though there was a noticeable drop in power it wasn’t that bad and I was expecting it to be worse. Drove great in 400 and M mode.

Not sure how much extra power I have gained, it is certainly faster. I could take it for a dyno but I don’t have a before run so nothing to compare it to. I also live at 3500 ft absl so it is going to read lower anyway. I might do it for ****s and giggles before winter, and to check the AFR’s.

The only fault I can find with the tune in 400 mode is that it feels like a 2 step throttle when you push it. Its hard to explain but others will know what I mean. When you change gear you can feel that it does not open the throttle fully for a split second and then it does, it’s a very slight jerk. This is the only thing I can complain about and I have a feeling there is a reason for this that evolve can explain. I am think it is to stop the DME throwing codes for rapid throttle openings, it does help with low traction roads so the tires don’t break loose on the gear change.

All in all, I am very happy with the tune. Normally N/A tuning is a waste of time for the money you spend and the gains you get, but in this case it is well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

I'd like to share with you some infos about my Performance Box tests of this weekend.

My car is equipped with the Akrapovic Evo system and stock software. I wanted to know, how fast my black beast really is, before remapping it with Stage 2 software by Evolve to define the delta.

Therefore I measured the 100 - 200 km/h times.

Stock software was in average 8.2 - 8.3 sec. Best time with DB Scanner corrected is 8,18 sec.

Afterwards I installed Friday evening the new software. Herewith my car was able to achieve in average a 7.9 - 8.1 sec 100 - 200 km/h time.

Best corrected time with db scanner is a 7.82 sec.

So roughly it improves by -0.3 sec.
What are your impressions about my results and the improvement by Stage 2 software?

I am very exited to replace the primary cats by 100 HJS cats next year. Hopefully I could achieve with that a 7.5 corrected.:wroom:

At the first view my impression is, that the tune improving especially the torque between 2.500 - 5.000 rpm clearly. :M5thumbs:
I had increased the rev limiter to 8.500 rpm. Unfortunately the shift lights are not working properly any longer. The rev scale from green over yellow to red within the head-up display is working, but no blinking shift lights which signal the perfect shift point. Maybe I have to rev still higher for the blinking...Do you have also recognized the same?
For best acceleration it dosen't make sense for me to rev higher than 8.300 rpm because afterwards the torque drastically decreases (character of the S85). I think it would be optimal if the shift lights would stay at 8.250 rpm but the rev limit would be increased to 8.400 rpm to achieve best acceleration by perfecting shifting points.

At least I am a bit disappointed that after a very detailed mail to my initially one and quick sending of my tuned file, I didn't got at least any answer to my remainig questions. :crying2:

Best regards from sunny Germany

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hi guys,

I'd like to share with you some infos about my Performance Box tests of this weekend.

My car is equipped with the Akrapovic Evo system and stock software. I wanted to know, how fast my black beast really is, before remapping it with Stage 2 software by Evolve to define the delta.

Therefore I measured the 100 - 200 km/h times.

Stock software was in average 8.2 - 8.3 sec. Best time with DB Scanner corrected is 8,18 sec.

Afterwards I installed Friday evening the new software. Herewith my car was able to achieve in average a 7.9 - 8.1 sec 100 - 200 km/h time.

Best corrected time with db scanner is a 7.82 sec.

So roughly it improves by -0.3 sec.
What are your impressions about my results and the improvement by Stage 2 software?

I am very exited to replace the primary cats by 100 HJS cats next year. Hopefully I could achieve with that a 7.5 corrected.:wroom:

At the first view my impression is, that the tune improving especially the torque between 2.500 - 5.000 rpm clearly. :M5thumbs:
I had increased the rev limiter to 8.500 rpm. Unfortunately the shift lights are not working properly any longer. The rev scale from green over yellow to red within the head-up display is working, but no blinking shift lights which signal the perfect shift point. Maybe I have to rev still higher for the blinking...Do you have also recognized the same?
For best acceleration it dosen't make sense for me to rev higher than 8.300 rpm because afterwards the torque drastically decreases (character of the S85). I think it would be optimal if the shift lights would stay at 8.250 rpm but the rev limit would be increased to 8.400 rpm to achieve best acceleration by perfecting shifting points.

At least I am a bit disappointed that after a very detailed mail to my initially one and quick sending of my tuned file, I didn't got at least any answer to my remainig questions. :crying2:

Best regards from sunny Germany
we apologize for you not being happy with your Evolve product. If there is anything we can do to make your experience with us better, please feel free to send me a pm or email ([email protected]) and I will assist on helping take care of anything you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your quick response. Please don't get me wrong I am not unhappy in general with the product. The car is running good and the process was easy. If it is possible to make the shift lights working again at 8.250 rpm it would be very helpful to find the perfect shift point.
The email exchange was great till I got my tune with a very detailed mail. But I had still some questions but didn't got an answer to those. Maybe the guys have to much to do or it is due vacation period. Anyway I will mail you.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your quick response. Please don't get me wrong I am not unhappy in general with the product. The car is running good and the process was easy. If it is possible to make the shift lights working again at 8.250 rpm it would be very helpful to find the perfect shift point.
The email exchange was great till I got my tune with a very detailed mail. But I had still some questions but didn't got an answer to those. Maybe the guys have to much to do or it is due vacation period. Anyway I will mail you.
Send me a email and we will make sure to answer all your questions. Also what seems to have occurred with the shift light? overall just stopped working?

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Here is my review on the Evolve Stage 3 tune:

I have about 3800km on this tune now and 2000km was run in time.

Installation was easy, I had problems at the start with Windows 8 being a pain in the *** as it didn’t like the USB driver. I tried everything and it would work then it wouldn’t. I emailed Evolve and they threw some ideas over but I had already tried them. Then 1 day I turn the laptop on and its all fine and works great. This is a windows 8 problem not evolve, it has to do with the USB driver digital signature.

Download of the tune took an hour, I plugged the battery charger in so it had plenty of juice and the laptop was full charged. Got the files and sent them off to evolve with my instructions and mods.
5 days later new file comes, upload is easy and takes less time, more like 15mins. After the file upload is done I start to rip out the MAF’s and install the Air Temp sensor. Easy install but Evolve should really supply some instructions on which wires need to be spliced for the air temp sensor.

The drive:
At first there is very little gain and the car is rather jerky as the DME relearns, give it 20kms and it smooths out and feels stronger. Once you are at 100-120km its all there. At the time I was running in so couldn’t test it but the extra power and torque was there, I had to hold off revving past 5k for a while.
Then after I hit 2000km time to open it up, gradually more and more revs for obvious reasons to make sure the engine is good. 400HP mode is a lot better now, before it felt very sluggish and most of the time I would press the power button for everyday driving. Now I do not have to. It stays in 400 90% of the time I daily drive to work etc.
M mode is now better, its very smooth and wants to rev more freely. On the standard tune I always seemed to hit the limiter even though I wasn’t trying to, by the time you look at the rev counter and pull the paddle its too late. Now with a raised limiter it never happens, I see it as less stress on the engine now. I might hit 8400 now but at least I am not hitting the limiter and stressing the engine with a sudden stop of engine revs.

Since I have no Primary cats I took the cold start off, this is a great option since I leave the house at 5am and I know the noise was pissing the neighbors off, its now a lot better in the mornings.

I took a trip to the rocky mountains at the weekend and went to 7,000 ft absl, car drove perfect and even though there was a noticeable drop in power it wasn’t that bad and I was expecting it to be worse. Drove great in 400 and M mode.

Not sure how much extra power I have gained, it is certainly faster. I could take it for a dyno but I don’t have a before run so nothing to compare it to. I also live at 3500 ft absl so it is going to read lower anyway. I might do it for ****s and giggles before winter, and to check the AFR’s.

The only fault I can find with the tune in 400 mode is that it feels like a 2 step throttle when you push it. Its hard to explain but others will know what I mean. When you change gear you can feel that it does not open the throttle fully for a split second and then it does, it’s a very slight jerk. This is the only thing I can complain about and I have a feeling there is a reason for this that evolve can explain. I am think it is to stop the DME throwing codes for rapid throttle openings, it does help with low traction roads so the tires don’t break loose on the gear change.

All in all, I am very happy with the tune. Normally N/A tuning is a waste of time for the money you spend and the gains you get, but in this case it is well worth it.
Thanks for your feedback on the tune. Glad you are enjoying it.

Instructions for the IAT are meant to be provided anytime a customer orders the Alpha N tune. I will make sure that the new team members are advised about the importance of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Send me a email and we will make sure to answer all your questions. Also what seems to have occurred with the shift light? overall just stopped working?

The digital rpm scale starting with the green over yellow to the red rpm scale in the head up display. This is working properly like stock.
The only thing is that the blinking of the shift lights, which signalizes normally the perfect gear switching moment at 8.250 rpm is not working anymore. The digital rpm scale just went red goes higher and higher to the end of the scale but without the blinking at 8.250 rpm.

The question is, is it possible to have the blinking shift lights as it was stock at 8.250 or 8.300 rpm with an increased rpm limiter at 8.500 rpm?
It would be very helpful to have that signal back, because keeping the rpm higher than 8.300 rpm does not make so much sense to me because the torque of the S85 is falling quick after 8.000 rpm. I tested to shift at 8.500 rpm but my performance box times were worse than shifting at 8.250 rpm.

Kind regards and thank you very much!
Lennart

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Tune question, when you flash your car with a tune that eliminates the MAF's, how does this type of tune compensate for different climate conditions?

101 - 120 of 154 Posts