BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Im curious if anyone else is having the same problem I am having with their tune and if you have gotten any resolution. I have an 06 with primary cat delete and custom section 1&2 with Evolve Alpha N Tune. The tune has been great and its my second alpha n tune (my previous e39 M5 had it also). The problem is now I cant pass inspection. My thought was that the tune would make ready the 02 sensors etc, however after a few different tunes from Sal, it still shows several things not ready: CAT, EVAP, 02S, HRT (see attached pic). However there are no stored codes/faults on the car.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
When was the last time you flashed your tune? How much time and miles have passed since then? Each time you flash and/or clear faults it will erase everything and send you back to square one. I have a ton of experience with this as Texas also does the OBD emission testing and you can not pass with more than one "not ready".

Drive cycles will make all systems go to ready if conducted properly, but with software tuning can be tricky as some emissions monitors can be disabled. For example on my setup I have only have one emissions monitors disabled, I am pretty sure it is the O2S to prevent the SES light from coming on due to headers. I don't have Alpha N so I am not sure if anything emission monitor wise is setup any differently.

EVAP will only set when the car is a cold start and you let it idle for about 30 seconds or so best time is to do it first thing in the morning after sitting overnight. After waiting 30 sec or so drive it after and bring it up to operating temperature. Either the CAT or O2S won't ever set (I forgot on mine I will have to check my emissions sheet). The HRT I am not familiar with that terminology each code scanner has their own way of abbreviating things. I usually bring my code scanner with me as I perform the drive cycle so I can monitor it. Overall it takes about 25-30 miles for me but sometimes I run into cars which take up 50+ miles.

Another note, make sure to avoid heavy acceleration as that will cause the car to never set and avoid 3k+ rpms! I can get the official document from BMW stating the procedure just have to find the pesky sheet. I have it all memorized so I never bother to read it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You said you have a primary cat delete. I'm guessing your tune also eliminates the CEL as a result of not having primary cats. If that is true, that will prevent at least one of your emissions systems checks to complete and you would fail smog if you were in CA. I'm not familiar with exactly what your "inspection" constitutes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What state are you in? I strongly suggest you touch base with
George (M Deamon) an Evolve approved tech and top notch ///M mechanic. I'm certain he is familiar with this and related issues and should be helpful. His shop is in Valley Stream, NY. 516-599-0660

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think you're failing not because of the tune, but because of decat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When was the last time you flashed your tune? How much time and miles have passed since then? Each time you flash and/or clear faults it will erase everything and send you back to square one. I have a ton of experience with this as Texas also does the OBD emission testing and you can not pass with more than one "not ready".

Drive cycles will make all systems go to ready if conducted properly, but with software tuning can be tricky as some emissions monitors can be disabled. For example on my setup I have only have one emissions monitors disabled, I am pretty sure it is the O2S to prevent the SES light from coming on due to headers. I don't have Alpha N so I am not sure if anything emission monitor wise is setup any differently.

EVAP will only set when the car is a cold start and you let it idle for about 30 seconds or so best time is to do it first thing in the morning after sitting overnight. After waiting 30 sec or so drive it after and bring it up to operating temperature. Either the CAT or O2S won't ever set (I forgot on mine I will have to check my emissions sheet). The HRT I am not familiar with that terminology each code scanner has their own way of abbreviating things. I usually bring my code scanner with me as I perform the drive cycle so I can monitor it. Overall it takes about 25-30 miles for me but sometimes I run into cars which take up 50+ miles.

Another note, make sure to avoid heavy acceleration as that will cause the car to never set and avoid 3k+ rpms! I can get the official document from BMW stating the procedure just have to find the pesky sheet. I have it all memorized so I never bother to read it.
Very Good Advice.

So i flashed the new tune Sal sent me and drove about 45 miles over two days. i went to my indy and he checked it only to find the above "not ready's". He told me to drive it more and also make sure i perform a few cold starts. i returned 5 days later and about 100 additional miles and nothing changed.

HRT means "heater" IIRC.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I would put the cats back on first as I am sure that's where the main problem is.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think you're failing not because of the tune, but because of decat.
If the tune is set up correctly you can pass. I have no cats and I pass with one "not ready" in Texas. There is many different variables but I have the stage 3 regular tune, no Alpha N so not sure if that has anything to do with the OP's situation.

OP, worst case scenario if you can't get it solved you'll have to flash back your stock software and reinstall the cats.

BUT there is one thing that might work... Not sure if it will on the E60 M5s though. It worked on my brother's E38 740iL when we installed a racing exhaust lol we removed the cats and left the post cat O2s dangle outside exposed to the atmosphere. The system looks for a change in the particles in the exhaust fumes so by letting the post O2 sensors vent outside it will think the cats are functioning. Again, not sure if this works on the newer years since I think it looks for exhaust gas temp now via secondary O2s. Not sure, but worth a try and saves the hassle of reinstalling the stock exhaust manifolds!

Look at me now I told myself I would never remove cats or do anything to harm the enviroment when I was a young boy lmao.

·
2,149 Posts
I always wondered if flash tunes even when catless would set off not ready inspections... in the 335 world we had a special cat delete 02 simulator to make the car pass inspection with 'ready' state.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeah, you can absolutely pass with no cats, I've done it here in NC with my previous Audi.

I don't know how many miles and drive cycles the BMW needs to clear out the ready counters, but judging by how many things are "not ready" I think that is the problem. I know one of the criteria on my Audi was like 10 cold starts before some items would go to ready IIRC.

Give it a few more days and see if you can get them to clear out. Just don't keep flashing as it will reset it each time and you have to start over.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If the tune is set up correctly you can pass. I have no cats and I pass with one "not ready" in Texas. There is many different variables but I have the stage 3 regular tune, no Alpha N so not sure if that has anything to do with the OP's situation.

OP, worst case scenario if you can't get it solved you'll have to flash back your stock software and reinstall the cats.
Interesting. I must be living under a rock in our state. The regs say:

1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.
And because we have the smog test, I was always under the impression that if I was to run decat headers I thought it'd be an automatic "fail"

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
To me this is too much hassle for the gain, I don't have any issues passing emissions with my stock M5 (except a RPI sec 3) and it still runs 12.5 @ 117 in the 1/4 mile with a 2.1 60 ft time. :M5launch:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Interesting. I must be living under a rock in our state. The regs say:

And because we have the smog test, I was always under the impression that if I was to run decat headers I thought it'd be an automatic "fail"
Oh, without a doubt you will fail if you have smog/sniffer testing in your state. We don't in Texas since we only do OBD testing along with a majority of other states.
To me this is too much hassle for the gain, I don't have any issues passing emissions with my stock M5 (except a RPI sec 3) and it still runs 12.5 @ 117 in the 1/4 mile with a 2.1 60 ft time. :M5launch:
I agree, that's why I made sure it was possible to write the software to where I would be able to pass. Otherwise the only other opinion is to find someone who has a hookup with state inspection stickers and that just gets sketchy.

Reactions: DFrankm5

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That's pretty hilarious a smog place would actually pass a car without cats even though all the sensors are ready. Don't they smell the damn thing and figure something must be up?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I basically have an alpha n tune with my ESS VT-650 and pop the same "not ready" codes. It does not matter how many drive cycles I do, it will not pass.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far I still do not have a resolution from Evolve. Any other suggestions?

Does any have an alpha n tune that can pass emissions?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So far I still do not have a resolution from Evolve. Any other suggestions?

Does any have an alpha n tune that can pass emissions?
send me a pm, we have had many pass with our tune. I am sure there is something that was missed or not looked at. I will make sure we resolve this situation for you. Either send me a pm or email to [email protected]

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I think every state is different as if we have just a single "not ready" state we fail emmisions.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts