BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Evolve Alpha-N and Power Map upgrade this weekend. The process took less than half an hour and I am very happy with the results. As others have reported, the throttle is much smoother and more responsive. No more jerkyness which is especially noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear. There is definitely a noticeable increase in power as well. The car pulls much harder to redline. It feels like there is more torque throughout the rev range. A 3rd gear pull from 2,000 rpm is noticeably stronger and smoother. Previously it felt as though there were holes in the power band, the remap has completely cured this. One interesting effect that I have not heard others experiencing is an increase in induction noise under hard acceleration. Maybe I'm hearing things that aren't there but the engine sounds slightly louder and more harmonious in the higher rev range. Overall I am extremely pleased with the result and would recommend this upgrade to everyone. I enjoy driving the car much more now that the jerky throttle is completely gone, the car is transformed and feels significantly faster. :M5launch:

·
Registered
253 Posts
sounds great.

my engine runs super sweet, has no gaps in power or torque dips etc

how can i find out if it has software apart from a top speed run !

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Klunk - I am not sure how to tell if your software has been modified apart from sending your ecu file to a tuner like Evolve. I would highly recommend Evolve's remap as it greatly enhances the driving experience. I have read reviews from Evolve customers who made the switch from other aftermarket software and were very happy with the improvement.

E55 AMG - I have straight pipes so the exhaust noise is fairly loud to begin with but both my brother and I noticed some increase (improvement) in sound. Perhaps my MAF's were not 100% and the car wasn't running properly as a result? I would be very surprised if this were the case considering I changed them ~ 20,000 miles ago, have stock (no oil) air filters, and take good care of the car. Maybe its in our heads. Whatever the case, the car is much improved!

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
E55 AMG - I have straight pipes so the exhaust noise is fairly loud to begin with but both my brother and I noticed some increase (improvement) in sound. Perhaps my MAF's were not 100% and the car wasn't running properly as a result? I would be very surprised if this were the case considering I changed them ~ 20,000 miles ago, have stock (no oil) air filters, and take good care of the car. Maybe its in our heads. Whatever the case, the car is much improved!
Perhaps...either way, glad you're happy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
CU

A few questions:

1. Were your adaptations reset as a part the tune installation by Sal?

2. Do you daily drive your M5?

3. Can you give us an update in a week or so after you've put a few more miles on it to confirm your initial impressions?

4. Does the car appear to be running any richer than it was before the tune (maybe note that in your one week update?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Were your adaptations reset as a part the tune installation by Sal?
I am not sure, that is a good question. Is it possible to reset adaptations with a peake tool? Sal could you please chime in here?

2. Do you daily drive your M5?
Yes, my M5 is my daily driver. One of the best effects of this mod is the way it improves the around-town driving experience. The car is just much smoother and more linear. The throttle feels like its connected directly to the engine.

3. Can you give us an update in a week or so after you've put a few more miles on it to confirm your initial impressions?
I will be happy to. So far I have driven ~150 miles since the tune. It feels about the same as it did after the initial 5-10 minutes it took the car to warm up and get used to the new software. For the first minute or so the car sounded louder than normal but has quickly returned to normal. The only change in sound I have noticed is the increase in induction roar that I mentioned previously, although it is very subtle and could be my imagination. The car definitely picked up some power, 60 mph to 120 mph feels much faster! :M5rev:

4. Does the car appear to be running any richer than it was before the tune (maybe note that in your one week update?)
I have not noticed that, I would expect the car is running stoich considering the power increase. I will check my fuel consumption figures but those will likely be skewed as I am being a bit more leadfooted than usual this week. I will be checking my liters per hour (so called MAF test) numbers today at some point and will post my results. I realize they are an imperfect measure of engine efficiency but interesting none the less. Prior to the tune I saw 138 lph fairly consistently although I have not done the test in a while.

Hope this helps, I am very happy I decided to get the tune.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The adaptation values are reset with service tools like DIS/INPA/Autologic,...
This is not part of the actual remap itself.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a benefit to reseting adaptation values?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so what is the easiest/cheapest way to have this done? Go to an indy with one of these tools? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the new software.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for my lack of understanding on this subject, glad to see the car automatically adapts after some mileage, I have already reached that threshold and can't really imagine the car having better driveability than it does now.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I think you can also reset by disconnecting the battery for a long while. But then you need to add back your radio presets, etc.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did the liter per hour test tonight. Previously the best number I had seen was 142, tonight I hit 165 in second gear and 164 in third. Not sure what this means as far as power gains but the car was pulling like a madman. I am very impressed by the increased performance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand it is the fuel useage, but I'm not sure what the increase means as far as power or efficiency. Does the higher number mean my car is running richer? Or is the increase in fuel matched by an increase in air? How can this be acheived without less restrictive headers or intakes?

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I understand it is the fuel useage, but I'm not sure what the increase means as far as power or efficiency. Does the higher number mean my car is running richer? Or is the increase in fuel matched by an increase in air? How can this be acheived without less restrictive headers or intakes?
The test you were using just shows the fuel economy in l/100km, the other test shows fuel pump flow in L/H. Do yourself a favor, and forget that test. Too many variables to be of any use to anyone. Also, you cant use that test to gauge anything in terms of rich/lean, more power/less power. It's just something BMW engineers used during R&D.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts