BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recommending the E39 M5 to a reader in issue 114 (Feb. 2008, page 29):

"...and there's very little to worry about in terms of reliability. The brilliant 400bhp V8 does like to drink oil though - as much as half a liter every 1000 miles - so keep it topped up. Clutches are likely to need replacing at 50,000 miles and will cost about 500 pounds, while the lower rear suspension bushes and bearings will be shot at 80K. Budget around 400 pounds to have them replaced. Other than ensuring services have been carried out at the correct intervals, that's all you need to know. Enjoy!"

BTW, the coolest thing about a subscription to EVO (besides it showing up in your mailbox each month) is that the cover for subscription version just has the name EVO and the cover shot...no blaring announcements as to what is inside.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They Don't ALL Drink Oil

My beast, with right at 80K miles on it, does not drink a noticeable amount of oil between 7,500-mile oil changes. No smoking, no dripping. I try to check it every 500 miles or so, and see no difference on the dip stick.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Indeed. Mine is a MY2000 and drinks a quart every 5k miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
As they say - WHAT A CAR!!!!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Indeed. Mine is a MY2000 and drinks a quart every 5k miles.
Mine is a 2003 with 67,500 miles and it too drinks about a quart every 5k. (Used to be much more.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
About the same as well, a 2000 with 64,000 and about a quart every 5k. The only other non-maintenance item has been the Thermostat just after I bought it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Geez, guess I am lucky. I am at 50,004 miles and it doesn't use any oil between oil changes thus far. But then I haven't put 7,500 miles between oil changes yet, with the wrong weight oil in it when I got the beast.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, many board owners have much less oil consumption (mine uses almost no oil between 7500 mile changes) but I think the EVO comments are because some cars do use considerably more (particularly earlier models), and this may be normal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I should add a couple things to my comment. I bought the car at 54k and the dealer had changed the oil. I did an oil change at 59k and the shop said it was low by about 1/4 of a quart.

I got a warning to check oil level the other day, and I did and it seemed to be just a hair low, so I put a 1/4 of a quart in. I still have another 2K to go before I *need* an oil change, but I'll be having it done in another 2 weeks anyway. So my origional comment of a quart every 5k isn't really correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts