BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been reading this months EVO magazine and they have 2 interesting articles. The first is our beloved E60 M5 versus the Gallardo. Track times are Gallardo 1:23.90 sec and M5 1:29.95 sec. Strange test which ends with the following paragraph 'The M5 packs an engine every bit the equal of the Lamborghini's, but even M Power's spectacular fireworks can't disguise the fact that while the Gallardo was born great the M5 has had greatness thrust upon it'.
Will scan in and post once I have kicked the scanner back to life!!

Second article is in the Fast Fleet section where Harry Metcalfe has had his Ferrari 550 treated by Permagard (http://www.permagrad.info). And I was wondering if anyone out has already had or is contemplating having any such treatment for their beast. Always seems a shame to be spendiing time washing it when you could be driving it!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
sound interesting, but you have a dead link bro.

johnsh39 said:
Just been reading this months EVO magazine and they have 2 interesting articles. The first is our beloved E60 M5 versus the Gallardo. Track times are Gallardo 1:23.90 sec and M5 1:29.95 sec. Strange test which ends with the following paragraph 'The M5 packs an engine every bit the equal of the Lamborghini's, but even M Power's spectacular fireworks can't disguise the fact that while the Gallardo was born great the M5 has had greatness thrust upon it'.
Will scan in and post once I have kicked the scanner back to life!!

Second article is in the Fast Fleet section where Harry Metcalfe has had his Ferrari 550 treated by Permagard (http://www.permagrad.info). And I was wondering if anyone out has already had or is contemplating having any such treatment for their beast. Always seems a shame to be spendiing time washing it when you could be driving it!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finally managed to kick the scanner back to life, article attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
those times seem a tad slow for both cars, dont they?

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
22,7 s for M5 vs. 22,9 s for Gallardo to 150 mph. Gallardo slightly slightly faster. Interestingly enough the distance increases tp 160 mph for the Gallardo, which was not my experience. However, looks like the M5 looosen at the start: "the early stolen ground remaining surprisngly constant, the high-revving M5 vivid stampede ensuring it never fully recedes in the Galalrdo mirrors"

Strange to see that they think the Gallardo downshifts faster than the SMGIII on the M5.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The times do seem slow, it's true...

Still, they're right - it's silly to think that an 1800kg saloon can compete in terms of outright pace on a twisting road with a lighter, lower, similarly powered 4WD supercar, especially one as well engineered as the Gallardo. Mind you, for the price of the Gallardo, you could have an M5 and a Lotus Exige 240R, which I suspect would smoke even a Gallardo on the twisty bits...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for the post. This article seems more "honest" than the Autocar test of the M5 and the Ferrari F430.

There's no shame in being beaten by the Gallardo though. After nearly 30,000km in one, I can tell you it is an amazing car. The fact that the M5 is being compared with straight out exotics at all is a mighty achievement.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
mhh said:
Thanks for the post. This article seems more "honest" than the Autocar test of the M5 and the Ferrari F430.

There's no shame in being beaten by the Gallardo though. After nearly 30,000km in one, I can tell you it is an amazing car. The fact that the M5 is being compared with straight out exotics at all is a mighty achievement.
Amen to that - note they gave 5 stars to both cars and pointed out that the M5 might be outpaced, but it's great fun - at the end of the day, which is really more important???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kirium said:
I heard there's a 130i review in october evo too. can anyone scan this too??
Here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Spiroman said:
It would have been a bit more interesting (and fair) to do a comparo between the Gallardo and the M6.

Best regards,
Point taken, but I respectfully disagree on the interesting comment - I think it is more interesting to compare the E60 M5 against the pure sports cars. I find it very cool that a sedan can even be considered worthy of some of these tests, and I really like seeing how the M5 stacks up across the various categories against the best machinery available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.