Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Weekend car fun car or race car

Votes: 7 7.6%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally bought my M5 as a weeknd fun car, but I enjoy it so much, it's become my everyday driver since February, except in snow and slushy/salty roads. I know some member put up their M5s for the winter or have them for weekend racers, but I don't want to miss out on driving mine most of the year.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I drive it every day, year round. But we don't get much snow here.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I originally bought my M5 as a weeknd fun car, but I enjoy it so much, it's become my everyday driver since February, except in snow and slushy/salty roads. I know some member put up their M5s for the winter or have them for weekend racers, but I don't want to miss out on driving mine most of the year.
Only do about 2000 miles a year in my car,but its all fun miles!!!!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I drive mine in all types of weather. The only time I don't drive my beast is if the snow ruts get too deep(usually in January) for the beast causing it to bottom out. I get a ride from my neighbor when this happens and last year only needed a ride twice.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
weird-auto double post.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just put my winters on this weekend, I love how 5 series are TANKS in the winter! I have been using either an E34 or now the E39 for the last 5 years, never let me down!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Just put my winters on this weekend, I love how 5 series are TANKS in the winter! I have been using either an E34 or now the E39 for the last 5 years, never let me down!
I totally agree. The car heats up quickly to get you warm fast and the heated seats are awesome on cold days. The DSC is actually great in the winter too. I use it to its fullest potential on off ramps to keep moving quickly when it is slippery. It truly keeps you out of harms way but of course, you have to be careful on ice, especially black ice. It can't defy the laws of physics.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I've been driving mine everyday since August this year (had to give up my 92 Civic Si HB to my bro). And just how badmood34 mentioned, i look forward to driving it every morning to work and evening back home. Just, awesome, plain awesome daily driver. I anticipate driving my wife's car during really bad snow/winter days though.

So Jim, you're not alone! Maybe I'll spot you (or vice versa) one of these days when I get out by your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Daily driver here too. I have 3 sets of wheels/tires, two sets of floormats and two steering wheels to make it the perfect year round car.

When the weather gets too cold for the dedicated high performance summer wheels/tires, I put on the all season OEM wheels/tires. Right about that time I swap in the OEM heated steering wheel.

When the snow starts falling, I put on the dedicated winter wheels/tires, and put in the rubber floormats.

When winter is on its way out, I put the all season wheels/tires back on and the carpet floor mats back in.

When it gets warm enough, I put the summer wheels/tires back on and swap the OEM sport steering wheel back in. Rinse and repeat.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. :grinyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
It puzzles me as to why you would not want to use it daily. It is safe, reliable and, these days, inexpensive to acquire.

I too have two sets of wheels. Front all the way round for winter and rears all the way round for summer. I also have a car seat strapped in the back. I can't imagine using it any other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Daily Driver" here as well...but snow doesn't really enter the equation in Little Rock AR. However, IMO, our cars have a good traction control and I would take it out in inclement weather if I had to.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I totally agree. The car heats up quickly to get you warm fast and the heated seats are awesome on cold days. The DSC is actually great in the winter too. I use it to its fullest potential on off ramps to keep moving quickly when it is slippery. It truly keeps you out of harms way but of course, you have to be careful on ice, especially black ice. It can't defy the laws of physics.
HEHEHE you can get close to defying with some studded winters :)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Daily driver here too. I have 3 sets of wheels/tires, two sets of floormats and two steering wheels to make it the perfect year round car.

When the weather gets too cold for the dedicated high performance summer wheels/tires, I put on the all season OEM wheels/tires. Right about that time I swap in the OEM heated steering wheel.

When the snow starts falling, I put on the dedicated winter wheels/tires, and put in the rubber floormats.

When winter is on its way out, I put the all season wheels/tires back on and the carpet floor mats back in.

When it gets warm enough, I put the summer wheels/tires back on and swap the OEM sport steering wheel back in. Rinse and repeat.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. :grinyes:

Man I want a heated steering wheel bad! What vehicle did yours come from and where did you get it ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I climb in that driver seat everyday. Cannot wait to drive it every morning.

Still look back at it when I walk away.:wroom:
Yep, same here. I get up at 4:20 a.m. every day, and my biggest motivator to get up is...I GET TO DRIVE MY M5!!! Quality, fit, and finish are 2nd to none. Man, what an absolute pleasure to drive. And yes, I look back at it EVERY time I walk away.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Reactions: sor118
1 - 20 of 36 Posts