BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at my dealership recently for my 1200 mile service, and while I was waiting for them to bring the car around to the front so I could depart, there was another M5 sitting there ready to be driven home.

A guy came out, opened the trunk (the owner) and started inspecting his car to make sure that there was nothing wrong with it since he too was there for servicing. So I figured I'd spark up a friendly conversation to a fellow M owner.

I simply asked... "Do you own a 6 speed?" ... his reply: "No, I have an automatic. But I put it in manual mode a lot...." ... :confused:

I've never heard an M owner refer to his SMG as an "Automatic" before... after a few more exchanges with the guy, it had become clear to me that he bought the car for different reasons than most M owners do, and was definitely not a car guy at all.

I guess some folks don't appreciate what goes into some of these M cars.

-F

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
No, he probably bought it because it was the most expensive 5er. I wonder if he enjoys all it has to offer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
He probably walked into the dealership and smelled like money so the salesman showed him the "biggest, baddest bimmer" they had. Six quick signatures and off he went.

·
Registered
836 Posts
no I have not met any M owner like that, thank god. I would have to tell them what I think....that they are not worthy of their vehicle.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Use the old reliable rule of thumb..... The more gold chains that a person wears, the less he cares about his car.

This asshat sounds like he was Mr. T.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No, but I've met some salesmen like that... Clearly a job and not a career for them...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I met someone like that a year ago who always kept it in p400 and NEVER used p500 to save gas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
sounds like some porsche 911 guys out here in hawaii. never goes above 55mph. only a trip downtown to the office and back home. i can hear those cars crying inside..*sigh* .it hurts me too..:sad2:

·
Registered
994 Posts
So I was at my dealership recently for my 1200 mile service, and while I was waiting for them to bring the car around to the front so I could depart, there was another M5 sitting there ready to be driven home.

A guy came out, opened the trunk (the owner) and started inspecting his car to make sure that there was nothing wrong with it since he too was there for servicing. So I figured I'd spark up a friendly conversation to a fellow M owner.

I simply asked... "Do you own a 6 speed?" ... his reply: "No, I have an automatic. But I put it in manual mode a lot...." ... :confused:

I've never heard an M owner refer to his SMG as an "Automatic" before... after a few more exchanges with the guy, it had become clear to me that he bought the car for different reasons than most M owners do, and was definitely not a car guy at all.

-F
Nice writeup. Living in Los Angeles, this kind of buyer is sadly quite common, though I think thr M6 suffers even worse.

On Tuesday I pulled into the gas station to see one of the new Jaguar sedans there, with the supercharged engine. My car was filthy as it had rained Friday and had a friend back from Iraq (a door gunner the brave soul) so spent Memorial weekend in no fit state to drive or clean the car.

I said to the guy "how is it" (i hate the looks but it is likely quite a nice 550i rival) and he replied, "Fast...420horses." I replied "glad you like it." He then gave me this 'wish you were me look' and said "you should get one you'd love it- it's really f%%kin fast" and with that he was off. He wasn't unpleasant, but it does seem that he was not even aware of what an M5 was or that he certainly didn't know the tell tale signs of one. I wasn't looking for a compliment back, but just wasn't expecting to be forcefully told how fast his c.105mph trap car was.

I then made my way to the car wash so don't stone me.:haha:

Incidentally, my car took 17.3 gals of gas. Looks like I needed that fill up.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
lol...great stories. I have yet to run across anyone like that, thank God.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Nice writeup. Living in Los Angeles, this kind of buyer is sadly quite common, though I think thr M6 suffers even worse.

On Tuesday I pulled into the gas station to see one of the new Jaguar sedans there, with the supercharged engine. My car was filthy as it had rained Friday and had a friend back from Iraq (a door gunner the brave soul) so spent Memorial weekend in no fit state to drive or clean the car.

I said to the guy "how is it" (i hate the looks but it is likely quite a nice 550i rival) and he replied, "Fast...420horses." I replied "glad you like it." He then gave me this 'wish you were me look' and said "you should get one you'd love it- it's really f%%kin fast" and with that he was off. He wasn't unpleasant, but it does seem that he was not even aware of what an M5 was or that he certainly didn't know the tell tale signs of one. I wasn't looking for a compliment back, but just wasn't expecting to be forcefully told how fast his c.105mph trap car was.

I then made my way to the car wash so don't stone me.:haha:

Incidentally, my car took 17.3 gals of gas. Looks like I needed that fill up.

You should have made a bet with the Cornhole....

"Man 420 HP?? Wow... Wanna race?"

·
Registered
994 Posts
You should have made a bet with the Cornhole....

"Man 420 HP?? Wow... Wanna race?"
:cheers:

It crossed my mind to say to him, "you mean 414bhp"- but I try to hide my geeky ways.

Funnily last night I was at diner with the GF and the guy next to us was spouting off to his friend about his new Cayenne GTS and how he was on the list for the new "hardtop convertible Ferrari." He then incorrectly said the M3s double clutch was going into the M5 and M6. You know the type, one of those who talks so loudly you can't barely hear yourself think. ouich

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

It crossed my mind to say to him, "you mean 414bhp"- but I try to hide my geeky ways.

Funnily last night I was at diner with the GF and the guy next to us was spouting off to his friend about his new Cayenne GTS and how he was on the list for the new "hardtop convertible Ferrari." He then incorrectly said the M3s double clutch was going into the M5 and M6. You know the type, one of those who talks so loudly you can't barely hear yourself think. ouich

You're in LA....

The guy in the Cayenne GTS? He's already lost.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I simply asked... "Do you own a 6 speed?" ... his reply: "No, I have an automatic. But I put it in manual mode a lot...." ... :confused:-F
Oi jole pendejo!ouich

Maybe the guy thought you wouldn't understand the sophistication of his amazing machine and dumbed it down for you?:confused: :hihi:

Did he know you had an M5 also at the time?:dunno:

In any case, the dudes underwear is too tight! Money can't buy knowledge or personality!ouich

·
Registered
994 Posts
nah!

Tough crowd... are we getting carried away? As long as they earned their money in a clean and legal way, who are we to question how they spend it?
Buying an M5 simply because it will impress ones fellow golf club members is an affront to the true enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

-F
Next time introduce yourself Flash and i won't act sooooo clueless. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts