BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eurpoean Delivery ?

For those in US or Canada, have you heard of the availability of European Delivery for the E60 M5? Would you do it or not? Is Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec a good time to go?

I am driving a Quattroporte now and really don't need a second 4 door sedan, but the appeal of going to the germany for delivery and do a factory tour is quite interesting.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Re: Eurpoean Delivery ?

M! said:
For those in US or Canada, have you heard of the availability of European Delivery for the E60 M5? Would you do it or not? Is Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec a good time to go?

I am driving a Quattroporte now and really don't need a second 4 door sedan, but the appeal of going to the germany for delivery and do a factory tour is quite interesting.
I have no interest in driving in Germany in the wintertime with a new M5 that's not broken in. But I hear the factory tour is incredible - long waiting list.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts

I was told some months ago by the European delivery office of BMW NA that the E60 M5 will not be part of the European delivery program. If anyone has more current information, I am all ears.

I took European delivery on my M3 and would do it again in a heartbeat. The entire delivery and shipment was arranged flawlessly and the experience is one that still is very memorable after more than six years.

From what I understand, M models usually become part of the European delivery program (if at all) a significant time after introduction. Therefore, I would not be surprised if the M5 became available through this channel in the future (late 2006? 2007?).

September and October likely would offer decent weather in much of Europe, especially the southern parts. Like Wolverine, I would avoid November and December.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Just to clarify...

M models were never part of the European Delivery program and there are no plans for it either. The program provides arround 7-9% discount of MSRP.
Having this said, you can succesfully do a European "pickup" on an M in which you get all the European Delivery benefits, except the discount. In addition, the dealership needs to give an allocation back to BMW; this reduces the "official" sales volume for the dealership and can affect future allocations.

I have done Euro Delivery on several Ms (even though it's "officially" not possible), but the dealership has to be willing to work with you.

.Mdrei

MRichmond said:
I was told some months ago by the European delivery office of BMW NA that the E60 M5 will not be part of the European delivery program. If anyone has more current information, I am all ears.

I took European delivery on my M3 and would do it again in a heartbeat. The entire delivery and shipment was arranged flawlessly and the experience is one that still is very memorable after more than six years.

From what I understand, M models usually become part of the European delivery program (if at all) a significant time after introduction. Therefore, I would not be surprised if the M5 became available through this channel in the future (late 2006? 2007?).

September and October likely would offer decent weather in much of Europe, especially the southern parts. Like Wolverine, I would avoid November and December.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I can't speak about recent years, but the E36 M3 was fully part of the European delivery program, including the discount. I also very much doubt that any dealer will or can arrange a European pickup of a E60 M5 unless BMW NA arranges for this model to be part of the European delivery program in some fashion. In other words, it is not enough for the customer simply to be willing to forego the discount. If anyone manages to arrange this, please let all of us know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have done 4 Euro Deliveries so far, including a 97 E36 M3. I have never received a discount on any of the M cars. The M cars were never discounted as they were always hot items.

Having that said my last ED was a 01 E46 M3 that I picked up when dealers were charging 10k over sticker. The same is possible with the new M5. The biggest problem is not BMWNA. They do not care if the order is placed with Munich pickup, but the dealer cares a lot.

From a dealer stand point doing ED is a hassle and a loss.
- They need to give up an allocation to BMWNA. Since they only get a few M allocations a month, giving up a spot is a tough call since it does not count against their sales quota. ==> Main reason why you wont see to many M5 EDs.
- The dealer has no incentive to do ED on a car that sells itself. The ED program is not even made for that.
- Any type of cash incentive that BMWNA provides dealers is not applicable on M-series ED cars.
Bottom line, if a dealer does an ED on an M car, even though he sold the car and did all the additional paper work, he will not get any credit for it in any shape of form. So it's a loosing proposition for the dealer, not BMWNA.

You can call BMW ED at 1-800-932-0831. They will state that they do "Eurpoean Pickup" on ANY BMW produced in Germany as long as the dealer is willing to work with you.

My father in law will do a M5 ED when his allocation comes. He bought a new vehicle every second year from the dealership and as far as i know all of them were through ED.

If people are of interest I can provide some dealerships contacts that are among the best in the country regarding the ED program.

.Mdrei

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Mdrei is right on the money. BMW NA told me today that (1) at this point the M5 will not be part of the European delivery program, but (2) they will arrange for delivery at the European delivery center with no discount if the US dealer agrees to allow the customer to use one of the dealer's allocated cars. The representative with whom I spoke said further that, except for the lack of a discount, the delivery would work in the same manner as a standard European delivery, with BMW providing the necessary temporary insurance and allowing drop off at its designated locations. The delivery would be arranged one month after the production date, which the dealer learns when the dealer's allocation arises. For planning purposes, it appears that the one-month-after-production-date is only a minimum, and that a specific delivery date some time later than that date could be arranged. Now I will have to see if my dealer will accommodate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts